Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2014, 09:44 AM

Default logging clips in regions

Do any of you have tips or tricks for logging notes for clips directly in regions or somewhere else in ProTools other than in the track information?

Is there any way to create notes for audio clips in the regions?

I name and make notes for all of my tracks, but I'd like to also make notes for the clips in the regions as I'm working. Many of my tracks involve clips edited together from various audio files.

I have a lot of abstract sounds, and when I start my session, I bring in all the relevant sounds into regions (for example: in my protools session for Radio Tower C... I bring in all 37 audio files that I recorded of Tower C)... then I start building my sound scape with those clips that are in my regions.

I'd like to have useful notes associated with each audio file to facilitate what I'm looking for. Currently all of the file names are as descriptive as possible... but I'd like to add more information.

Currently I do have a sound log that I made in microsoft excel... but it means flipping back and forth between programs...

Any tips that you folks use for logging and making notes on audio files within protools? or any software that you highly recommend?

thanks so much,

xoadc
-----------
working with protools 9
Old 05-19-2014, 11:28 AM

Default Re: logging clips in regions

Yes, you can easily make use of Scene and Take metadata, and even set Pro Tools to show this info on the regions themselves and in the region bin.

In the following image, I have it set up that way. This is a screenshot from Pro Tools 10, but Pro Tools 9 should be identical (but with "Regions" replacing "Clips")
  • View> Region> Scene and Take (will show in the Edit window)
  • Region bin dropdown can be set to Show> Scene and Take
  • You can view and edit this info in the Project Browser (Window> Project. You might need to right-click one of the categories to select which are displayed)

Having it set up this way will also allow you to sort the region bin and project browser displays by scene and take. Example: you can label the file name with descriptive identifiers, and use the Scene and Take fields to label Tower and Time. Or vice-versa.

And you can even add more detailed info in the File Comments and Sound Roll fields of the Project Browser, but there is no option to display those comments in the Edit window. For more info, see the Pro Tools 9 Reference Guide, pages 260 and 519. This will even allow you to make use of the "Select Alternates" function to replace a region with another that matches scene and take.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:42 AM

Default Re: logging clips in regions

Fantastic! thanks so much!
3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
Protolls 11 + Mbox Mini

MacBook Pro 5,5, OS X 10.6.8
Intel Core Duo, 2.26 GHz, 8 GB memory
Protools 9 + Mbox Mini

Protools 4.1 + Mbox 1

Sonic Visualiser 2.3
Studio One2 v. 2.0.7
Soundtrack Pro 3.0.1