How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2014, 07:55 AM

Default Software screen pet peeve

Hi all,

When setting built-in compressor settings for example, why does the software screen's display go from the compressor graph to the EQ graph when you select the next channel you want to make compressor adjustments on? Changing the selected channel does not change the selected channel control which is still set to compressor. In order to get the compressor graph back you have to press the compressor channel control switch again. Shouldn't the graph follow the channel control switch and stay on the selected channel control until a different channel control is selected? Is there a switch in the set-up screens somewhere that allows for this logic?

kind regards,
Paul
Old 05-15-2014, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Software screen pet peeve

If I'm picturing your problem correctly I would say "no".
You are assuming that every track has the same plug in. Right?
I have different plugs on different tracks, and therefore want to select the plug in I want to edit, rather than just the track.
Or maybe I'm not seeing what you mean...
Old 05-16-2014, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsen View Post
Hi all,

When setting built-in compressor settings for example, why does the software screen's display go from the compressor graph to the EQ graph when you select the next channel you want to make compressor adjustments on? Changing the selected channel does not change the selected channel control which is still set to compressor. In order to get the compressor graph back you have to press the compressor channel control switch again. Shouldn't the graph follow the channel control switch and stay on the selected channel control until a different channel control is selected? Is there a switch in the set-up screens somewhere that allows for this logic?

kind regards,
Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregV View Post
If I'm picturing your problem correctly I would say "no".
You are assuming that every track has the same plug in. Right?
I have different plugs on different tracks, and therefore want to select the plug in I want to edit, rather than just the track.
Or maybe I'm not seeing what you mean...
Greg - you're not the only one. The op doesn't say what exact plugin he's talking about. On the whole without more info his post makes no sense at all.

QAPLA!
Old 05-16-2014, 05:35 PM

Sounds like maybe the OP is used to a digital console, which(many of them anyway) will display parameters for whichever channel(ie 'track") is selected. In any DAW(not just Pro Tools) that is an interesting feature request, but not one that exists(to the best of my knowledge). Seeing a single post, I expect the OP is new to all this. There's a lot to learn here, and not everything is going to seem "intuitive" for a while. Be patient and keep digging as the rewards are worth it! Youtube is a great(and free) source of tutorial help

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-18-2014, 06:30 PM

Hi all,

By your comments, which I appreciate very much, I have noticed that I have posted my enquiry in the wrong forum. I was expecting it to be posted under the Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > Avid Live Sound Systems > Venue Tips & Tricks NOT the Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks. What I am referring to is the Venue Software screen GUI specifically on an SC48 and NOT the pro tools GUI. I am not referring to plug-ins at all but to the dynamics processing (compressors and gates) inherently present on all channels (or tracks) of the Venue software. Had my post actually appeared in the Venue Tips & Tricks forum, I would expect fellow users there would NOT have required me to include the details that I left out. My apologies for posting in the wrong area.

kindest regards
Old 05-19-2014, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsen View Post
Hi all,

By your comments, which I appreciate very much, I have noticed that I have posted my enquiry in the wrong forum. I was expecting it to be posted under the Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > Avid Live Sound Systems > Venue Tips & Tricks NOT the Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks. What I am referring to is the Venue Software screen GUI specifically on an SC48 and NOT the pro tools GUI. I am not referring to plug-ins at all but to the dynamics processing (compressors and gates) inherently present on all channels (or tracks) of the Venue software. Had my post actually appeared in the Venue Tips & Tricks forum, I would expect fellow users there would NOT have required me to include the details that I left out. My apologies for posting in the wrong area.

kindest regards
No problem. It's easy sometimes to post in the wrong section, what with all the various subforums some of which have similar names to others. Hope you get the answers you're looking for.

QAPLA!