Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2011, 09:13 AM

Default Re: New 2011 MacBook Pro i7 has fan running loud and fast with PT9

"Question on session size. When you run the demo session (the legion) at 128 buffer do your fans kick on?"

I just ran that legion session and with core audio internal sound card, barely audible. I think they got up to 3000 rpm.

When I ran it through the maudio, I first tried at highest buffer...1024. I got the fans kicking on for just a bit and they ramped up to 6000!

I then tried it at lowest buffer of 128 and am not hearing anything higher than 3600 rpm.

If it stays before 3800, it is "comfortable". Anything above 4k and I wanna rip my hair out!

Cheers,
E
Old 03-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Avid

I can't imagine these should run that hot, or the fans run that fast, given the circumstances. My MBP 2.2hgz C2D only 'spins up' when under severe CPU load for long periods. Heavy (50+ tracks, lots of plug-ins, VI's, etc) sessions rarely cause a spin up unless I'm letting the transport roll for long periods (10+ minutes).

It'll be interesting to see what happens on a different machine, or if we get more reports of this behavior with the new models.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:27 AM

Interesting thread. I'm watching this because I've been eyeing the powerful i7 processors on the newer MBP. I currently use a C2C based MBP and can honestly say I've never noticed the fans (didn't even know they had one).

I had an old Windows notebook that heated up to the point that I couldn't place it on my lap for too long. One time I was working with in in bed (with a pillow between it and my lap to avoid the heat) and fell asleep. The blanket partially covered the vent and it literaly overheated itself until the process fried. Good thing it didn't start a fire.

Hopefully the OP's fan noise issues are isolated to this one machine and the replacement will be better. Otherwise, it will be back to waiting for a suitable machine for my next mobile rig.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 03-07-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
I can't imagine these should run that hot, or the fans run that fast, given the circumstances. My MBP 2.2hgz C2D only 'spins up' when under severe CPU load for long periods. Heavy (50+ tracks, lots of plug-ins, VI's, etc) sessions rarely cause a spin up unless I'm letting the transport roll for long periods (10+ minutes).

It'll be interesting to see what happens on a different machine, or if we get more reports of this behavior with the new models.
Man I hope that the case is it's a lemon and that's all. I am on hold with senior tech support at apple right now to talk about it. Most likely, I will return it for a new one of the exact kind just to confirm it is an isolated issue. If not, I will return that one for cash and just wait it out and delay a mobile rig yet further.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Interesting thread. I'm watching this because I've been eyeing the powerful i7 processors on the newer MBP. I currently use a C2C based MBP and can honestly say I've never noticed the fans (didn't even know they had one).

I had an old Windows notebook that heated up to the point that I couldn't place it on my lap for too long. One time I was working with in in bed (with a pillow between it and my lap to avoid the heat) and fell asleep. The blanket partially covered the vent and it literaly overheated itself until the process fried. Good thing it didn't start a fire.

Hopefully the OP's fan noise issues are isolated to this one machine and the replacement will be better. Otherwise, it will be back to waiting for a suitable machine for my next mobile rig.
We will see if it is an isolated incident. Man I hope so. I will be sure to update everyone here at the DUC. But most likely, I will return it and get same version just to make sure it isn't a lemon. If it isn't and the fans are this loud, then man I don't forsee keeping it.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:21 PM

Very Interesting thread. I am considering buying a MBP 2.2 quad i7 today as a full-time replacement to my current PowerPC G5 dual 2.0 because of the mobility.

How do these things handle large sessions? Has anyone had any luck?

I'm trying to decide if I should buy one or not to use with PT9, I'm concerned based on these posts... But they sound like fast computers.

Pro Tools 7.4 w/ Music Production Toolkit
Mac OSX 10.4 G5 2.0 Dual
6gb memory
4 160GB 7200rpm HD's
Old 03-07-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxracer400f View Post
Very Interesting thread. I am considering buying a MBP 2.2 quad i7 today as a full-time replacement to my current PowerPC G5 dual 2.0 because of the mobility.

How do these things handle large sessions? Has anyone had any luck?

I'm trying to decide if I should buy one or not to use with PT9, I'm concerned based on these posts... But they sound like fast computers.
I cannot stress enough...this is an AMAZING laptop! Don't misinterpret my issues with fan noise as a weak computer. It's a beast! But I am a sound editor and need low noise levels. So if my fan sensors are jacked, then great! I will get a new one and everything is cool. But if not then the fans actually run that loud so be aware of that. But yes it can handle most sessions you throw at it. I have yet to experience a cpu error and i am running an mov with every session and am never short on plugz.

E
Old 03-07-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nave128 View Post
I cannot stress enough...this is an AMAZING laptop! Don't misinterpret my issues with fan noise as a weak computer. It's a beast! But I am a sound editor and need low noise levels. So if my fan sensors are jacked, then great! I will get a new one and everything is cool. But if not then the fans actually run that loud so be aware of that. But yes it can handle most sessions you throw at it. I have yet to experience a cpu error and i am running an mov with every session and am never short on plugz.

E
Thanks for the clarification Nave, you helped with my decision to pick one of these up tonight. Good luck with the sensor situation, hopefully it's an easy fix. I'll post with my results once I get it up and running, however I may have to order it online because they said they don't stock MacBooks in store with 7200 rpm drives which seems kind of crazy...
Old 03-07-2011, 05:29 PM

Considering you should never be recording or working off of the system drive for your PT audio files and sessions, I wouldn't bother with the 7200 rpm drive. I'd save that money on a good bus powered portable firewire drive like OWC mini mercury or on-the-go. I'd definitely get 8 gb of RAM though. Once, again, you could go to OWC for that though. macsales.com will get you setup with all kinds of goodies that you may be interested in.

Cheers,
E
Old 03-07-2011, 06:37 PM

My gut tells me there is something wrong with your computer.

Its a new design. Remember the fan problems with the new mac pros a few years ago.

I wouldn't keep it under any circumstances if it makes you nervous. Maybe some others work and it's a lemon and you can get another. I say put the need for it on the shelf for six months and hold on until a second revision comes out. Whatever you do, don't take it to get fixed if you do find out there's something wrong with it. Just send it back.

I'm like that with computers, audio equipment etc. If I'm on the bleeding edge and something doesn't smell right it goes back the next day. Then I keep my current equipment for months until I'm ready again.

Carl
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.