Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 02:58 AM

Default Re: Digi 002 Standalone mode problem with digital

Quote:
My optical output appears to be 48kHz, even when playing CD
then it must be a software problem with some sort of SRC

Quote:
If everything is fine with 44.1kHz, maybe this is where the bug is (ie: syncs fine with 44.1kHz signal but not 48kHz). This is very useful feedback and may help the Digi engineers to find where this bug is.
nope a proper 48KHz signal works fine for me, eg from a DVD player or from a guitar FX board with digital out (and the clock in that thing is questionable at best)

ive only ever used coax spdif as i use optical for ADAT, while they should work the same i would not be surprised if problems only relate to one. there was some bug in PT with coax/optical at one stage, i cant remember what it was as it didnt consern me.
i used to run my computer sound into spdif and every so often ill go to standalone mode so i can but in general its just not worth it. i find when clocked from the computer soundcard there isnt much difference in quality than just running to the alt-in and its much simplier than going into standalone mode. if you want better quality for listening to music use the wave driver
Old 10-16-2005, 10:38 AM

Quote:
nope a proper 48KHz signal works fine for me, eg from a DVD player or from a guitar FX board with digital out (and the clock in that thing is questionable at best)

ive only ever used coax spdif as i use optical for ADAT, while they should work the same i would not be surprised if problems only relate to one. there was some bug in PT with coax/optical at one stage, i cant remember what it was as it didnt consern me.
i used to run my computer sound into spdif and every so often ill go to standalone mode so i can but in general its just not worth it. i find when clocked from the computer soundcard there isnt much difference in quality than just running to the alt-in and its much simplier than going into standalone mode. if you want better quality for listening to music use the wave driver
maybe its a problem with optical vs. coaxial then... Like I said before, this signal should be "proper", as Pro Tools does not complain at all when syncing up with it, and the sync problems go away once I cycle through the word clock options back to "spdif", it just means doing this after every power-on of the 002. It would be cool if you have time to test this using coaxial, but only if you have time. I have tried a couple of times to get the wavedriver working, and it always bugs out, I'll try one more time if you are saying that it works properly. Analogue in is not really an option for me because I already have a headset connected to the computer, and the digital works with the workaround.

EDIT: Update: Wave drivers work for iTunes, but not for games (well, the one game I tried: Starcraft ). If I'm gonna use it, its got to work for everything. Maybe analog i/o is the easiest, but I am determined to get to the bottom of this optical 48kHz SPDIF sync problem. Has ANYONE tried to replicate this problem yet?
Old 10-18-2005, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Update: Wave drivers work for iTunes, but not for games (well, the one game I tried: Starcraft ). If I'm gonna use it, its got to work for everything. Maybe analog i/o is the easiest, but I am determined to get to the bottom of this optical 48kHz SPDIF sync problem. Has ANYONE tried to replicate this problem yet?
i wouldnt expect games to run smoothly with the wave driver, have you got the MME helper?
ill try optical in when ive got time
Old 10-18-2005, 02:49 AM

Quote:
i wouldnt expect games to run smoothly with the wave driver, have you got the MME helper?
ill try optical in when ive got time
MME Helper did it! Seems very stable, just added "starcraft.exe" to the list, updated, and I now get sounds through the Digi002 with Starcraft, iTunes and the rest (albeit one at a time...)
This is a very good solution, many, many thanks!

By all means please double-check the optical 48kHz when you have time - it would be good to get confirmation of that bug so that Digi can work on a fix.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:30 PM

Quote:
MME Helper did it! Seems very stable, just added "starcraft.exe" to the list, updated, and I now get sounds through the Digi002 with Starcraft, iTunes and the rest (albeit one at a time...)
This is a very good solution, many, many thanks!
By all means please double-check the optical 48kHz when you have time - it would be good to get confirmation of that bug so that Digi can work on a fix.
It seems I spoke too soon. Although fine with itunes (so far), the wavedriver with MME Helper is VERY flaky with games unfortunately. Although it works to start with, sooner or later it starts bugging out.
So its back to the dodgy optical spdif for me, although I might just admit defeat for now and use the analog cable until digi fixes this. ANY help replicating this bug is still very much appreciated (please see initial posts).