Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2023, 02:37 PM

Default Restore a session from bounce

Help me...
A few years ago i produced a track and thought i'd never do anything with it and deleted the session, because i was on Pro Tools first, and it only allows you to have like 3 projects. I bounced it and that was it.
Now i really want to put it on my next album, and i can´t recover the session to mix it. Do i really need to record it all over again? is there a way to recover a session just from a bounce? helpppp
Old 06-16-2023, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Restore a session from bounce

a bounce is a destructive process that you cannot revert. So in essence, yes you will have to redo the song.

Wave-T.com
Old 06-16-2023, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara3 View Post
Help me...
A few years ago i produced a track and thought i'd never do anything with it and deleted the session, because i was on Pro Tools first, and it only allows you to have like 3 projects. I bounced it and that was it.
Now i really want to put it on my next album, and i can´t recover the session to mix it. Do i really need to record it all over again? is there a way to recover a session just from a bounce? helpppp
Welcome to the forum.

No. The way you describe it, it's gone forever. All individual tracks are gone forever, and what you have now is two files; Left and Right. Two tracks. Stereo.

The only thing that can be done in this situation is some fixing with EQ and dynamics to make it sound a little better, but any processing will affect all instruments at the same time, because it's a stereo file. Of course you can edit, reduce noise and whatever, but only across every instrument in the bounced file.

Some will say you would perhaps be able to "erase" some elements with spectral processing and such, but you'll need some wizardry.
Old 06-16-2023, 03:35 PM

Sorry for the tough lesson! I always(as in ALWAYS) tell new users to do "sessions"(which live on your local hard drive) and avoid "projects"(which live in the cloud). But going forward, maybe your next version will end up better than the original

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-16-2023, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Help me...
To reinforce proper naming here. You *never* had a session, you had a cloud project, or just project. A session is the on-disk local format that you should be using.

Pro Tools First was a just awful product, including because it forced use of cloud projects, but also because it did not support standard third party plugins, and software releases did not track the standard Pro Tools products, and the documentation was largely non-existant. Thankfully Avid killed off the product. The current free version Pro Tools Intro is *much* better and has none of those limitations mentioned.
Old 06-16-2023, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
To reinforce proper naming here. You *never* had a session, you had a cloud project, or just project. A session is the on-disk local format that you should be using.
Ease up, Darryl. The OP's question was very clear:

Quote:
is there a way to recover a session just from a bounce? helpppp
The use of PT First or cloud projects was not the issue.
OP could have found themselves in the predicament whatever format of PT document they were using.
Old 06-16-2023, 04:04 PM

And your are helping the OP how with this comment?

Did you read the post? Pro Tools cloud projects directly lead to the user deleting a project to make space for the only 3 projects they were allowed.

I am pointing out the Pro Tools Intro is a good and free way to get going again, and not to waste time on Pro Tools First.

Given how badly projects don't work you would be an ******* *not* to now warn newish users off of them at any chance.
Old 06-16-2023, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
And your are helping the OP how?

Did you read the post? Pro Tools cloud directly projects lead to the user deleting a project to make space for the only 3 projects they were allowed.

I am pointing out the Pro Tools Intro is a good and free way to get going again, and not to waste time on Pro Tools First.

Given how badly projects don't work you would be an ******* *not* to now warn newish users off of them at any chance.
My reply was to the version of your reply before you edited it, you ****.
Old 06-16-2023, 04:08 PM

You frequently seem to think you are a moderator on DUC. There was nothing in my reply that needed yet another case of your fuddy duddy old man comments.
Old 06-16-2023, 04:09 PM

**** off.