Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2014, 08:50 PM

Default How to reduce/eliminate breathings editing recorded voice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
It's definetely case by case and by its worst, probably note by note. I have a guitarist who breathes so heavily that sometimes it's hard to tell whether his breathing makes more noise than his guitar.

Stuff he plays is top notch so I just have to deal with it. But it can surely be tiresome to fix it sometimes.

I worked with a guitar player like this. I resolved this by having him put a sock in his mouth... litterally!

Darryl Ramm
Old 05-12-2014, 08:09 PM

Default Re: How to reduce/eliminate breathings editing recorded voice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
And you don't want to really cut out all the breath noise or it sounds like a bad gate; very unnatural. A thing to remember is any background noise to the spoken word other than the breath - if it's an integral part of the audio then just lowering or cutting out the breath noise will effect that. If the op is dealing with that Izotope RX3 Advanced is the tool to use. And from what it sounds like it would be worth the expense being he does this kind of work on a very regular basis.
True about room tone and cutting so things sound unnatural. I've been doing this so long now though I have used room tone and IR verbs to replicate the space of a given speaker. I've done this on a couple of broadcast pieces because the information is being obscured by "uh" and "um" as well as heavy breaths. Plus when there is bg music you cab get away with a lot and it can make the dialogue pop in the mix. If soloed it won't sound gated either. All in a day's work.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:40 PM

Has anyone recommended using a mic with a figure-8 polar pattern? Mic the guitar as usual, but aim the null at the guitarist's head. I've had great results with this technique with multipattern condensers and ribbons.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotosu View Post
Hello everybody
I need to eliminate breathings from audio recorded voices. And I do it one by one because I still haven't found the way to eliminate all of them with just one or two commands.

Can you imagine how many times breath four or five people in half an hour?

I'm exhausted!

Thanks,

Sotosu

I use clip gain with good results.

Sean McDonald
Red Medicine Recording LLC
Sofa King Music Services
http://www.seanmcdonald.com