Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2014, 06:21 PM

Default I can't tell if these vocals are clipping.

Hi Everyone,
I have not posted on here since I began recording my own budget home studio stuff about a year ago. I have been "nerding up" on a lot and feel I am getting good results. My interface is a Line6 UX2. And so you know, this track does have Ozone5 as mastering. I am trying to preserve as much dynamics as I can and not contribute to the loudness war.

My main question is, do the higher screamed vocals on this sound like they are clipping to you? I did not clip the input on the interface and I gave myself plenty of head room in PT10. For some reason, the higher pitched stuff sounds like it clips. I wonder if it's just the voice and not the equipment. The mic I used was a Sure SM58.

Lastly, how is my mixing/mastering? Be brutally honest. SoundCloud tends to add a lot of bass as you know. Thank you for any feedback. And sorry if this type of music isn't your thing. I know it's an acquired taste.

https://soundcloud.com/davebmetal/check-the-pulse-1

Last edited by davebmetal; 05-11-2014 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Turned up vocals in the mix
Old 05-11-2014, 06:06 AM

Default Re: I can't tell if these vocals are clipping.

There's vocals in there? Seriously - I had to strain to even hear anything close to vocals. They're too far back in the mix and the guitars are covering them up. So it's impossible to give any kind of eval on the vocals as to clipping or not.

Heck even in Sepultura you can still hear max's vocals

QAPLA!
Old 05-11-2014, 06:27 AM

Thanks Jack. I re-uploaded with higher vocal volumes. Again, maybe it's my vocal technique that is just raspy and I need to work on it.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebmetal View Post
Thanks Jack. I re-uploaded with higher vocal volumes. Again, maybe it's my vocal technique that is just raspy and I need to work on it.
I could hear them this time but damn - I wish I could understand what you're singing as the words are highly unintelligible. Max Cavalera you're not and you're right - you really need to work on your vocal skills. That being said I could detect some distortion on the vocals. Not knowing what mic you used (hopefully not a condenser) you may want to change that up.

QAPLA!
Old 05-11-2014, 09:50 AM

Hey Dave that song is good and sounds tight. I don't know if the vocals are distorting but nothing obvious. Is that all you? I used to be in a small death metal band from MA called the year of our lord.

Jack, easily understandable lyrics is not very common in more extreme styles of death metal like this song.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:48 AM

Hey Glen. Thanks for the positive feedback! Yes, I do remember Year of Our Lord. I saw you guys at the Palladium a long time ago. Colin C. is a buddy of mine.

Yes, those vocals are all me. I am a guitarist but since it's a two man band, we have to split the vocal duties. I've still got a lot to learn but I am slowly getting there. The problem is that you spend a month or two writing the tune, then doing drums, then all the other instruments plus vocals. Then it's mixing/mastering time. So I have to learn to keep up on the vocals more and not wait until it's time to track :). What are you doing musically these days?
Old 05-11-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebmetal View Post
Hey Glen. Thanks for the positive feedback! Yes, I do remember Year of Our Lord. I saw you guys at the Palladium a long time ago. Colin C. is a buddy of mine.

Yes, those vocals are all me. I am a guitarist but since it's a two man band, we have to split the vocal duties. I've still got a lot to learn but I am slowly getting there. The problem is that you spend a month or two writing the tune, then doing drums, then all the other instruments plus vocals. Then it's mixing/mastering time. So I have to learn to keep up on the vocals more and not wait until it's time to track :). What are you doing musically these days?
Cool, sounds good. I'm doing much more mellow stuff now :) Colin is the best
Old 05-11-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenjb View Post
Hey Dave that song is good and sounds tight. I don't know if the vocals are distorting but nothing obvious. Is that all you? I used to be in a small death metal band from MA called the year of our lord.

Jack, easily understandable lyrics is not very common in more extreme styles of death metal like this song.
True, but at least I could understand what Cavalera was saying/singing in Sepultura.

QAPLA!