Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2014, 11:44 PM

Default Re: What's on this vocal please anyone

Well I tried this out on a vocal last nite and it made a big difference to my ears but its very subtle in another way.

I take it you do this ER timing thing on all delays in your song so for a reverb on a snare again you make sure the ER is in time with the song :)

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 05-08-2014, 12:18 AM

I myself always tune the pre-delay first and only after that go to other tweaks. But I also think that regarding how the reverb sounds and fits into the song, early refletions is the key.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:29 AM

Most delay, and reverb plug-ins have the ability to "Sync" to the host program's tempo - so if you want everything metronomic, it's as simple as clicking a button, and selecting a note division.

Also, you can always select the desired length of a delay, or pre-delay, on the grid, then swap your ruler to another format (Min:Secs / Samples) that will give you the selection value in figures that you can copy & paste / manually type in to the plug-in field.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post

I take it you do this ER timing thing on all delays in your song so for a reverb on a snare again you make sure the ER is in time with the song :)
Yes exacly. Don't want several different ER with sync that don't match so we do as close as possible on all the stuff that we need to be tight like vocals and drum busses.

Cool you tried this and see if you can "make the dub vocal takes" come forward a bit more so you can really hear the different layers and as long as the lead is still the major tracks. Use the layers of harmonies to hold up the vocals so they don't disapear or the harmonies don't muffle the lead vocals.

It is a lot of experimenting and it took us years until we mastered the art of lots of harmony takes and whisper takes and managed to make it all play well together. Keep trying different stuff on all the tracks until you find "your sound"

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————