How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2011, 06:49 AM

Default Brand new Mac user...going nuts. Can you

lend me a hand?

I am trying to use the Eleven rack as my sound card. I cannot seem to find a way to get this right. I see Eleven in my system preferences and I can go to sounds and select Eleven as my input. But whether I chose Avid Core or Pro Tools Aggregate I/O for the output I cannot generate any sound.

I do see a signal in the mixer.

Also, in Pro Tools, the inputs in the mixer state Built In Mic 1 2 and Built In Input 1 2.

Man, for a 20 year PC guy this is frustrating cause I have no idea what to do? Seriously it is a little like reading a foreign language.

iMac 5
Pro Tools 10
Eleven Rack
Mackie Speakers

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 11-20-2011, 07:09 AM

Default Re: Brand new Mac user...going nuts. Can you

well, I got it...so maybe a few of you mac users can tell me how much better an experience pro Tools is gonna be on a Mac....provided I can get through the learning curve.

Any problem on a PC and I knew where to go! So this seems a bit tough to start.

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam C View Post
lend me a hand?

I am trying to use the Eleven rack as my sound card. I cannot seem to find a way to get this right. I see Eleven in my system preferences and I can go to sounds and select Eleven as my input. But whether I chose Avid Core or Pro Tools Aggregate I/O for the output I cannot generate any sound.

I do see a signal in the mixer.

Also, in Pro Tools, the inputs in the mixer state Built In Mic 1 2 and Built In Input 1 2.

Man, for a 20 year PC guy this is frustrating cause I have no idea what to do? Seriously it is a little like reading a foreign language.

iMac 5
Pro Tools 10
Eleven Rack
Mackie Speakers

Any help would be appreciated!
It would help if you more carefully described exactly what is connected where and exactly what you are trying to do and use the precise names for things. We also have no idea how much you know Pro Tools or if this is just Mac specific confusion.

Your audio monitors/speakers are connected to the Eleven Rack or the Mac audio outputs? I'll assume the Eleven Rack main outputs(XLRs).

To start with, do you hear anything in stand alone mode? E.g. Unplug the Eleven Rack from the Mac. Connect a guitar to the guitar input and strum. Do you hear anything? Is the Eleven Rack main volume turned up? Is User Settings > Rig Input set to Guitar In?

---

If you are trying to setup the Mac's systems audio output.... You control this with the Audio Midi Setup Utility. Search for that app and drag it into your dock so it is always easy to find. This is also where you configure aggregate IO devices but do not start by trying to do that. You can completely ignore this utility to start with if you are just trying to gets started with Pro Tools (and not systems/audio output from other Mac apps).

You control what interface Pro Tools uses in the Playback Engine setting in Pro Tools. Start with "Eleven Rack" not Aggregate IO.

What are you doing in Pro Tools and how are you trying to "generate sound"? E.g. Create a new session using one of the default Eleven Rack templates, plug in a guitar, record arm the "guitar input" track and strum. Do you hear anything? Do you see the track meters moving... On what tracks? Create a new stereo track. Drag an MP3 or similar file from the finder onto the track. Press play. Do you hear that track play? See the play cursor/track move on the screen and see the track and master track meters move?

Darryl
Old 11-20-2011, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Brand new Mac user...going nuts. Can you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
It would help if you more carefully described exactly what is connected where and exactly what you are trying to do and use the precise names for things. We also have no idea how much you know Pro Tools or if this is just Mac specific confusion.

Your audio monitors/speakers are connected to the Eleven Rack or the Mac audio outputs? I'll assume the Eleven Rack main outputs(XLRs).

To start with, do you hear anything in stand alone mode? E.g. Unplug the Eleven Rack from the Mac. Connect a guitar to the guitar input and strum. Do you hear anything? Is the Eleven Rack main volume turned up? Is User Settings > Rig Input set to Guitar In?

---

If you are trying to setup the Mac's systems audio output.... You control this with the Audio Midi Setup Utility. Search for that app and drag it into your dock so it is always easy to find. This is also where you configure aggregate IO devices but do not start by trying to do that. You can completely ignore this utility to start with if you are just trying to gets started with Pro Tools (and not systems/audio output from other Mac apps).

You control what interface Pro Tools uses in the Playback Engine setting in Pro Tools. Start with "Eleven Rack" not Aggregate IO.

What are you doing in Pro Tools and how are you trying to "generate sound"? E.g. Create a new session using one of the default Eleven Rack templates, plug in a guitar, record arm the "guitar input" track and strum. Do you hear anything? Do you see the track meters moving... On what tracks? Create a new stereo track. Drag an MP3 or similar file from the finder onto the track. Press play. Do you hear that track play? See the play cursor/track move on the screen and see the track and master track meters move?

Darryl
Thanks for the help.

I tried to use precise words and be specific that I could not make my Eleven rack generate any sound in my new iMac with Pro Tools 10.

After enough attempts at my few choices I found the solution. But I was and I am a bit frustrated...as I knew I would be learning something new and trying to get too much done in too short a time.

Thanks though...