Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2011, 10:22 AM

Default Setting up a send/return with MBox Pro (3rd Gen)

Hi all!

I'm trying to set up a send/return using a free output on my MBox Pro (3rd Gen).

I want to put a guitar track through one of my delay pedals or a bass track through a distortion box for example. So I've taken a mono guitar track and assigned it to 'Output 3', fed it through my distortion box and then am running the output of that into 'Input 3' on the interface. That input is being sent to a new mono audio track which has the correct input assigned and is record enabled.

What I'm getting is either feedback or the whole track coming through and also the signal level is very low despite cranking up the gain on the input and having the output of the original bass track set to 0.0dB.

Could any one tell me how to set up a simple send/return using this interface!?

I've read the entire interface manual which doesn't mention setting something like this up and messed around with the I/O setup in PT9 and also the interface software settings. I'm not getting anywhere. Please help!

Many thanks,
TG

PS: I'd attached a screen shot but it doesn't look like you can do that on this forum..
Old 11-19-2011, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Setting up a send/return with MBox Pro (3rd Gen)

Hi folks,

Original poster here. I finally worked out how to achieve this using the following steps in the Driver Control Panel which is not explained in the manual so the following may be useful to someone else. I don't know if this is the correct way but it seems to be working so...

1. In the Settings>Output section disable 'master vol' for outputs 3/4 and have speaker config set to 'None'.

2. In the 'Outputs 3/4' tab in the main window set the monitoring to 'Software Returns 3/4'

3. I also found it helpful to 'Disable Host Control' but this isn't essential to getting it to work. Another helpful thing if sending out a mono signal is to delink the 3/4 or 5/6 hardware inputs and software returns so each input/output monitor level can be adjusted individually.

And don't forget there will be some delay due to the A/D D/A conversion, etc so nudge back the newly recorded wet track using the original track as a reference point. This will keep the signals in phase if parallel processing but also keep the track in time if not.

Hope that all makes sense!

Cheers,
TG