Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 11:25 PM

Default OS held off Interupts too long -

Hi, I am currenlt losing my mind due to this error....

PC Laptop - mobile Athlon XP (1.4ghz)
with 1 gig of RAM
7200 RPM hardrive 100gig
Mbox 1
PTLE7

every tweak known to mankind
---------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the deal, I had been using this system for the last year without so much as a hiccup from PT. and last week I wipe the hard drive and start over with a clean install of XP. Then I applyed every tweak I could find. I'm getting the interupt error right after hitting play! W-T-F

It never fails - I have gone even further and disabled hardware - this computer is flying....exept for PT - I do notice that the hard drive light is solid sometimes. could it be the drive? geez, is there any way around getting a new drive? My services are super lean and I'm still getting the "CPU is busy with other tasks" message - WHAT TASKS????? I have reinstalled 7 and even 6.9 to no avail.
2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7

Noise Buffet
Old 02-11-2007, 10:39 AM

Default Re: OS held off Interupts too long -

hi junkee,
I had the same problem with a firewire drive, it drove me mad, then it solved itself right after i connected the drive to USB 2 ( the external drive had 2 outputs, FW and USB ). It was definitely a drive problem , so it^s likely to be the same in your case. I'd try with an external drive . Good luck!
Old 02-11-2007, 10:14 PM

Thanks nincompoop, I actually have a glyph external hooked up through the firewire port and same thing happened when I opened the projects on that drive. I have decided to get a seagate 100 gig 7200 RPM to replace my hitachi 100 gig 7200 RPM. I have several friends deep into the data recovery world and they all tell me that seagates are hands down the most reliable internal drive available. THe hitachi lasted me almost exactly a year.

www.myspace.com/benlong
2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7

Noise Buffet
Old 02-12-2007, 01:58 AM

this helped me with my laptop:

even if windows is not complaining about drivers installed on your system, it is still worth downloading all drivers for your hardware from your manufacturers website, particularly: PCI channel drivers, Chipset drivers.

This might replace one of the automatically-installed windows drivers and make your system run faster. Upgrading these two drivers on my laptop caused it to change from falling over every 30 seconds of recording to working flawlessly on 16 channels for hours at a time.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:26 PM

I've been getting the buffer error to not to often I 'am using a creation station from sweetwater
DIGI 002R Command/8 7.3.1
Asus w/955X Chipset
Dual Core 3.0GHz / 800MHz FSB
2GB DDR2/533 RAM
Glyph Seagate 80GB & 200GB SATA Hard Drives
DVD+/-RW Optical Drive
Radeon x300se 1VGA / 1DVI-I
Old 02-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Avid

You should start with the steps in the Win XP/ Pro Tools 6.x/7.x General Troubleshooting thread and post specific info on your system per the info on that thread if you're unable to resolve the problem. .
Old 02-13-2007, 04:58 AM

sorry Digisupport but even though I'm not concerned here those " do the troubleshooting ..." answers to a problem are as helpfull as a Windows error message. The guy obviously said that he'd been running PT flawlessly for over a year , and that all the possible tweaks eare alreasy done!, and the problem suddenly occurred. So why on earth should he be suddenly uncompatible with something and need to post system details?? I don't get it with those "official statements", most of the time they are just utterly meaningless. My system is not even supposed to work because of my chipset, and my posted problem was a totally unrelated one, but it just works. I don't feel you Digi guys even read the posts thoroughly, you just post a standard answer,which is really not what one needs if things go frustratingly wrong. Sorry but I had to get this off my chest.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:41 AM

Quote:
this helped me with my laptop:

even if windows is not complaining about drivers installed on your system, it is still worth downloading all drivers for your hardware from your manufacturers website, particularly: PCI channel drivers, Chipset drivers.

This might replace one of the automatically-installed windows drivers and make your system run faster. Upgrading these two drivers on my laptop caused it to change from falling over every 30 seconds of recording to working flawlessly on 16 channels for hours at a time.
have you tried this yet?
Old 02-13-2007, 08:30 AM
Avid

Quote:
sorry Digisupport but even though I'm not concerned here those " do the troubleshooting ..." answers to a problem are as helpfull as a Windows error message. The guy obviously said that he'd been running PT flawlessly for over a year , and that all the possible tweaks eare alreasy done!, and the problem suddenly occurred. So why on earth should he be suddenly uncompatible with something and need to post system details?? I don't get it with those "official statements", most of the time they are just utterly meaningless. My system is not even supposed to work because of my chipset, and my posted problem was a totally unrelated one, but it just works. I don't feel you Digi guys even read the posts thoroughly, you just post a standard answer,which is really not what one needs if things go frustratingly wrong. Sorry but I had to get this off my chest.
Believe me, I read the posts and my guess is that I've been doing this considerably longer than you have (no offense).

Here's the deal - on a daily basis I talk to people who say 'It's been working for [insert length of time here] so I KNOW it must be compatible'. After doing some investigation, we find that they actually have an incompatible system. We also KNOW that sometimes an incompatible system will work for a time, but that it eventually will fail. It's wonderful that you are running an unsupported system and it's working for you, but that's an exception to the rule.

Which brings me right back to the reply I posted - before I spend any time digging deeper into troubleshooting a system, I want to know that the system is compatible and that all general troubleshooting steps have been taken. That is the basis of tech support - you MUST start from a known quantity or you could end up just chasing your tail. Given that my time here is limited and there are hundreds of posts every day, you can well imagine we should make the most of that time. Once we have some solid info to work with, we can start taking a look at possible causes. The original poster didn't provide any information on the error numbers, if he's got more than the single drive mentioned or anything substantial that's going to assist us in determining what's wrong. If you take a look around at all the threads on the DUC, you'll see this is a common theme - lack of information. There are numerous other extremely helpful users who are going to ask the exact same things that I am because they know from experience (ask spkguitar) that, without it, you'll spend far too much time speculating and not enough actually narrowing down the cause.

Obviously the original poster can either supply the information necessary for us to make an informed decision about possible causes for issues or to ignore it, it's their choice.

I'll point you to this thread for an example of what I'm referring to....
Old 02-13-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
You are missing the point, nincompoop, the original poster said it was working great then he wiped the drive. He said he applied "all of the tweaks he could find", not "all of the tweaks in the General Troubleshooting thread". In that case, directing him to the Gen Troub thread, and the tweaks there (some of which he might have missed) is very appropriate.

As for posting full system specs, posting "My car is blue and it doesn't work; it used to" on an auto forum would get a similar response. It's very difficult to troubleshoot an issue when we don't know what a person has. (My auto example is a bit ridiculous, but I think it illustrated my point)

For instance, one of the "tweaks" is to turn off the wireless internet card when using Pro Tools. If the original poster doesn't have a wireless internet card, and someone gives him the advice to "turn off the wireless internet card" then it is just wasted words, time and internet bandwidth. When troubleshooting an issue, it is always wise to know what you are dealing with from the get-go, which is why it is always requested first thing.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12