Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2023, 12:56 PM

Default No sound output in PT or systemwide

Hello,

I filed a support case but just checking here to see if I can find a solution more quickly. System was working great last night. Did nothing other than backup and update Safari before I turned off for the night. Today I've got no sound output in Pro Tools or any system app.

Checked the obvious first, power and connections are good (Omni is not on mute). Trashed preferences and restart. Checked playback engine and system sound output preferences, both are set to HDX.

Within PT the session plays back and the meters show the levels, but no output. OMNI interface shows output levels on it's meters. I've checked those outputs, plugged them directly into my monitors, no dice. System playback works fine through iMac speakers.

I've had it happen where HDX doesn't show up in system preferences sound output. In that case I just restart and it shows back up. Currently it's showing up, but I get no sound. Totally confused as to what happened. I'm hoping it's just a user error but for the life of me I can't find it.

Thanks for any advice.

Dave

Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 / OSX Monterey 12.6.2
Avid HD Omni / HD IO 8x8x8 / HDX Sonnet Echo Express 3
iMac Pro 3GHz, 10 Core, 64 GB
Old 05-22-2023, 01:13 PM

Default Re: No sound output in PT or systemwide

Phew! Ok, fingers crossed but it seems to be fixed. After the 3rd time of trashing preferences and doing a full shutdown and powering off everything it has restarted and is working.

But damn, I still don't know what it was. Would be curious if anyone else has experienced something similar. It took a big chunk of time trying to figure it out and it's not very reassuring that I changed nothing and it just decided to work after the 3rd restart.

Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 / OSX Monterey 12.6.2
Avid HD Omni / HD IO 8x8x8 / HDX Sonnet Echo Express 3
iMac Pro 3GHz, 10 Core, 64 GB