Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2023, 02:33 PM

Default Re: What Mac desktop for Pro Tools Studio

Not exactly sure where the OP got that info but here is a link with some current system compatibility from Avid.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...m-Requirements

I'm with Darryl on this one. Nobody should be looking at any Mac Intel machines for a new purchase. Also, IMHO, nobody should be advising on such a purchase. That's like buying a half sunken boat at this point.
Old 02-16-2023, 03:05 PM

Hey,

Thanks for your interest. I got the information from the Avid site.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...m-Requirements

Down the page under the "Apple Supported Computers" list. The one with desktops.

It sounded wonky to me. I just needed somebody to confirm the degree of wonkiness.

And may I say, WTAF?!

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 02-16-2023, 03:13 PM

While generally speaking buying Intel Mac now is a bad idea, in studio use it has its advantages. I bought the last generation PPC G5 Powermac when it was supposedly a bad idea, but it kept me going until 2009 Nehalem models were released.
Old 02-17-2023, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
I'm with Darryl on this one. Nobody should be looking at any Mac Intel machines for a new purchase. Also, IMHO, nobody should be advising on such a purchase. That's like buying a half sunken boat at this point.
Is the boat half sunk, or half floating In any case, that's great advice

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-17-2023, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I was not "blaming" anybody, I was pointing out the information is not helpful and to stop using that info.
Don't disagree just pointing out to Avid how ridiculous it is for prospective users looking for basic info.
Old 02-20-2023, 01:50 PM

OK, if no one has any specific info for what the best Mac for Pro Tools Studio is, I've found trying to talk to ANYONE at Avid is ****ing Impossible.

WTAF is wrong with AVID? Has Avid gone that far down hill in the last ten years? If I ran my business like they're running their business, I'd be out of business!

>> OK, more diving than I ever thought necessary. Does this look right for a new install of Pro Tools Studio?
2022 Mac Studio 20-Core M1 Ultra 'Silicon' 3.2 GHz / 64-Core GPU with 64GB Memory

QUESTION: Does anyone have any info on when the fan comes on?

Last edited by Ty Ford; 02-20-2023 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-20-2023, 02:23 PM

For most that would be overkill, but if you need that much muscle then you need it. Only you can tell.
Old 02-20-2023, 02:29 PM

There are many hundreds of posts from other users here on DUC talking about their experiences with all these recent Macs especially Mac Studios.

You can google for those threads and read them, lots and lots of posts mentioning configurations, limits with non-expandable memory and storage, internal storage speed benefits, problems with USB 10Gbit support on Thunderbolt ports, a huge number of discussions about recent 2022.12 native plugin beta and third party plugin support, etc.

There is no such thing as "best" computer, it's up to you to work out what is for you. You need to actually spend time using the great resources on DUC that give you more info than anybody at Avid will, but instead you are using DUC to whine about this makes no sense. If you are about to spend ~$5k or so on a new computer, it's got to be worth spending a few hours reading stuff here and not getting the wrong system. And things that may impact you include plugin compatibility with most recent macOS versions, Apple silicon native Avid and third party plugin availability, etc., all of which are separate from just picking a computer config but you ought to go into with a good understanding.

For *my* use, trying to max GPU config would be irrelevant. I'd want 4TB of internal SSD, and 64GB or more memory. That ends up driving a lot of config choices, which simplifies decisions greatly (also can add costs greatly).
Old 02-20-2023, 03:22 PM

Thanks JF,

Yes, thanks for your thought. I hate running into operational issues because I've tried to cut the budget to the bone, and you never know what's coming out next year, or month. A little fat don't hurt and can keep you from problems. Out of curiosity, how much RAM do you use?
Old 02-20-2023, 03:58 PM

Darryl,

You got here in 2010. I got here in 2001. I'm 74 and will probably die before you. I've been using and reviewing DAWs since October of 1990. My first DAW was the AKG DSE7000 that later became an Audicy. These machines no longer roam the planet. I still do.

It's been my experience that a lot of folks know a little about things on Google. What I wanted was simple phone call to bring me up to speed because what I was finding on the Avid site looked way out of date. There are very few plugins that mean anything to me. Trust me, I've invested quite a bit of time trying to get simple answers to my simple questions.

I can't even talk to anyone at Avid. When I search my System ID the wheel spins ad infinitum, and then, if I do get it and plug it in a field, I'm told it's no good. The url spit out at me by the female android to pay for the pleasure of talking to an Avid employee is pronounced in such a way that I don't understand it. I hear very well, btw.

"Whining makes no sense." We'll disagree on that one. I'm happy that you feels so content, warm and fuzzy. That's great. Next, see if you can muster a little empathy for those of us who don't have it as easy as you. Whining, as you put it, frequently does get picked up on by management. Things do change. Consider me "a squeaky wheel", instead of a whiner.

"For *my* use, trying to max GPU config would be irrelevant. I'd want 4TB of internal SSD, and 64GB or more memory. That ends up driving a lot of config choices, which simplifies decisions greatly (also can add costs greatly)"

Yes, 4TB Internal and 64GB RAM is what I have in the 2017 iMac Pro I use for Apple Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro. I'm filling the 4TB up and to my great surprise the tech at SanDisk told me that their SSD drives should be powered up at least every 30 days or they just don't work. So maybe SSD is not a good archiving solution

Have a nice day.