Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2017, 02:06 PM

Default Pro Tools 12 Not Recording MIDI?

Hey, so I am very, very new to Pro Tools and am having trouble figuring a lot out. I'm trying to record my piano through midi, so I did CTRL>SHFT>N for a new track, selected stereo, brought up the Kontakt 5 Player, selected an instrument, and dragged it into the Player's window and this whole control panel for sound and all this came up. When I hit a note on my piano, it does play through to my studio monitors, which is good, but when I click track record enable, and hit the space bar to record, nothing actually records. No midi notes show up, nothing happens when I stop the recording to try and play it back. Nothing. Which seems weird to me, because when I hit a note on my piano, like I said sound does come through, so Pro Tools knows something is there. I have my Kawai ES8 hooked up to my Komplete Audio 6 interface, which is hooked up to my laptop. Midi thru is checked. Anyone know how to fix this?? I've been trying to figure this out for a long time and it is getting frustrating. Help!!
Old 10-20-2017, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 Not Recording MIDI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagurreil View Post
Hey, so I am very, very new to Pro Tools and am having trouble figuring a lot out. I'm trying to record my piano through midi, so I did CTRL>SHFT>N for a new track, selected stereo, brought up the Kontakt 5 Player, selected an instrument, and dragged it into the Player's window and this whole control panel for sound and all this came up. When I hit a note on my piano, it does play through to my studio monitors, which is good, but when I click track record enable, and hit the space bar to record, nothing actually records. No midi notes show up, nothing happens when I stop the recording to try and play it back. Nothing. Which seems weird to me, because when I hit a note on my piano, like I said sound does come through, so Pro Tools knows something is there. I have my Kawai ES8 hooked up to my Komplete Audio 6 interface, which is hooked up to my laptop. Midi thru is checked. Anyone know how to fix this?? I've been trying to figure this out for a long time and it is getting frustrating. Help!!
hi, welcome to the DUC .. you will need to learn to be more specific in your wording .. things like this can be confusing .. we are not mind readers but are williing to help ..

"and this whole control panel for sound and all this came up" ?? huh !! see what i mean about being more specific ..

please also add all system info, Mac or PC, operating system, etc .. more info is better than none at all .. right !!

1) create instrument track (not audio or aux for this test)
2) place K5 on track and open an instrument
3) choose your midi input device - controller keyboard that you setup in Midi Studio / and chose in midi input devices
4) put track in rec enable
5) play keyboard and chose REC .. record some midi .. then play it back

lets see what you understand and what you do not and we can go from there

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 10-20-2017, 02:20 PM

Welcome to the community.

You record-enable the track, then you hit space? Am I understanding this correctly?
Old 10-20-2017, 02:22 PM

You should not only record enable the ttack but also light the little red button in the transport bar to confirm you want to record. Did you think about that? Because you didn't mention that step.

Metric Halo ULN8 3D Interface, NI Komplete Control S49 midikeyboard

Macbook Pro M1, 2.5 GHz 8 core CPU, 32 Gb RAM, 1Tb storage, Monterey 12.6.6. PT Ultimate 2023.6, UVI Falcon 3.0 + some soundbanks, Waves Platinum bundle, some free Melda plugz, Metric Halo/Make Believe plugz.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voideco View Post
You should not only record enable the ttack but also light the little red button in the transport bar to confirm you want to record. Did you think about that? Because you didn't mention that step.
Thank you!!! Couldn't get a Kontakt Instrument track to record midi - lit the "little red button in the transport bar" and it worked! Cheers. :)
Old 12-12-2021, 12:45 PM

Still probably missing some detail(and what you describe is nowhere near detailed enough). So, let's start from scratch with the following:
#1-since I think you are on Windows(see why details matter), start by setting up your keyboard. Go to Setup>Midi>Midi Studio. In this window, create a new "instrument" and name it what you like. The brand and model are not required. The crucial setting here is the Input Path(where Pro Tools will "look for" incoming midi data). If the keyboard connects via USB, it will likely look something like "Kawai ES8 on USB[Emulated]"(in any case, the proper choice should be obvious) and keep all midi INPUT channels selected(in blue). UNselect the OUTPUT channels for now(you don't need them unless you want to use the sounds in the Kawai).
#2-create a stereo Instrument track and insert MiniGrand(for testing purposes). Once the plugin loads, mouse-click on some keys(on the plugin) to verify its fully loaded, Put the track in Record-ready and play your keyboard. If it makes sound, great(move to #3). If it doesn't, let us know.
#3-assuming #2 made sound, you know you have working midi. At this point, you COULD change the plugin, but I suggest you DON'T(see #4). Instead, delete this track, create a new stereo Instrument track, insert Kontact, load the sound you want, put the track in Record-ready and playing the keyboard should give the sound you loaded into Kontact.
#4-why I said make a new track is because swapping instrument plugins MIGHT leave you with invalid midi assignment(starting with a new track sidesteps this issue). The way to FIX this issue requires you to show this detail by going to the VIEW menu>Mix Window>check the box to show Instrument. This will add a row across the top of your MIX window where you can see(and change) the assignment

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave