Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2008, 11:48 AM

Default Small Audio Workstation Desks?

Is there not any company that makes smaller workstation desks with a rack built in? I'm trying to find something around 100 - 200 dollars. The only thing I could find is at guitarcenter which has a small desk for like 100 bucks... but it has no room for monitors. The next next up called the Creation Station is a little too big for my room , and it doesn't have a keyboard shelf. I can't find any other companies that make these desks at a reasonable price. Please help!
Old 09-07-2008, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Small Audio Workstation Desks?

I had the same issue: Creation Station was too big, the Mix Station (the $100 one) too small for monitors and my dual 17" displays (didn't need the rack section). I ended up buying the Mix Station anyway and separate stands for the monitors. Good compact system.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:12 PM

Check out Office Depot and Staples as I was just at one that had a desk that looked perfect for about $150. Since I just dropped 7 grand on a new studio, I had to pass. In the past I have just built my own but I have some woodworking skills and tools that many may not have. A sheet of oak plywood and a one by strip with some glue, screws and spray poly can come out fine.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...ewMonitors.jpg

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-08-2008, 12:26 AM

I bougth this desk from Staples back in 2006 for $100

http://www.gaebler.com/Situations-Mo...tion-Maple.htm

It doesn't have a built in rack, but the two outside shelves on top worked great for my monitors (just make sure to put something under the shelves to help hold the weight). Main shelf wasn't deep enough for my 002 console so I put it off to the side on another table like albee shows in his picture. The desk is heavy though, and it's pretty deep and won't fit through some doors so you might have to put it together in the room you're going to use it in. I ended up selling it to the incoming tenant so I woudn't have to take it apart again to move it.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:15 AM

albee... did you build those racks on the sides? is it hard / expensive? thanks
Old 09-08-2008, 10:57 PM

Built in a few hours and not a lot of money. The few fancy details could be left off to save work and/or dollars. The top starts as a piece of MDF with black formica glued on. Then solid oak 1x2 gets added to the edge using a biscuit joiner but could easily be done with plastic "T" molding or iron on edge banding. Sides and bottom are oak plywood with a half inch solid oak strips glued onto the front edges to hide the plys. Again, could be done with iron on banding(all Home Depot stuff). The edge detail is a router with a chamfer bit. For racks, make them a little wider than 19 inches(I did 19.25" and used flat washers between the rack rail and wood to get them spaced properly. Its basically building a box with some fancy details to dress it up. A regular table saw is about the only serious tool needed. And the biscuit joiner if you want that top edge detail which could also be done with glue and long finish nails(predrill before nailing) and wait for the glue to dry as MDF doesn't hold nails well so it will be weak until the glue dries. A quick hand sanding and spray poly to finish.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-12-2008, 06:34 AM

Nice desk Allbee! you have many talents.
I'm in the same position and lokking for some type of workstation. I would prefer to get all my stuff-3 Monitors, A 88 Key controller, 002 , keyboard mouse and trackball etc into one unit but that looks like its not going to happen.
One thing that works well is to put the 002/003 on a autolocater stand off to the side. I share my space with a Hammond, A Leslie and about 7 Amps and a dozen or so guitars so space is at a premium.
I did find this which would solve my problems but the price is simply insane. I'll post the links in case it inspires some one.

http://proaudiosuperstore.com/omnirax-f2.html

http://proaudiosuperstore.com/pdf/om...-Schematic.pdf

http://proaudiosuperstore.com/media/...ated-Photo.jpg

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88