How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2012, 05:33 AM

Default Problems with Memory Location/Marker Import

Hi All,

I haven't found this specific problem anywhere, so I'd like to share it with you:

I'm working on 5 sessions and now want to put them all together. Importing the playlists and clips isn't the problem, but when checking "import markers/memory locations", the markers are set to the beginning of the destination session, though the clips will appear at the correct Timecode.

So all the Timecode options won't help. Whatever I try, whatever the timecode of the source session is, after importing, the markers will start right at the beginning of the destination session.

I also tried exporting an re-importing via MIDI, same thing.

Am I missing something real obvious here or is this actually some weird problem?

I would appreciate any hint
Thanks!
T
Old 08-07-2012, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Problems with Memory Location/Marker Import

Pro Tools' marker importing is pretty lackluster. Markers import relative to session start and take in no consideration of timecode whatsoever. If the first marker of your source is 1 minuted into the session then it will import 1 minute into your destination session. But if your source and destination sessions have different session start times then the imported markers will be off.

I suggest calculating the difference between the two start times and cut and past the imported markers to the adjusted start time. It's clumsy but it works.

-Justin
Old 08-07-2012, 07:30 PM

It used to work as you'd expect in PT 9 - it's broken in PT 10.X

Justin's tip won't help if you've already got markers in your session - good luck there! You could import in reverse, import reel5's markers move them down, import reel4 etc etc.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:35 PM

I ran into this today. The solution that worked best for me was to make the start time of each session the same and as a result the markers appeared where they were expected after importing. I hope in the next update/version that this is fixed.
Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64GB RAM OSX 13.6, PT Ultimate 2023.12 HDn, MTRX Studio, 2x Avid S1, PT Dock...
Old 06-24-2013, 06:09 PM

I can export the markers, but can't import them (PT 10.3 - 10.5) another unfortunate thing is that when you export the markers the time reference is ALWAYS samples - NOT what you choose in the dialog box (unless in fact you CHOOSE samples.) another problem is that I can IMPORT them, nor can I import session settings (i.e. export session settings as text). ProTools/Avid says this a is a know issue. Does anyone know what that means?