Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2001, 07:48 AM

Default computer fan noise

My computers are really noisy!
The powerPC 8600(Cubase) and the G4/733(digi 001) are louder than the air con at max in the room. To make things worse, the 20" monitor makes a hi pitch hum once in a while. Does anyone else have the same problem? What do they do about it? Change the fan?? move the computer to the next room???
Old 11-23-2001, 08:23 AM

Default Re: computer fan noise

I built a closet for my 867.
The only problem is the length of the Digi 001 cable. A real nusance!
Old 11-23-2001, 01:05 PM

Moving the computer to the next room is a must. But still - you can hear it even then, and definitely you cannot hide it before microphones. It is quite horrible. If you put it in a sound proof box it will burn. It is really strange that Apple is making supercomputers with funny design, but absolutely does not care to make any effort to make less noisy. There are already "silent" PCs easily available ...
Old 11-23-2001, 01:51 PM

*$%£#@.§* noise !!
The only workaround I've found (since I don't have a room close to the one where my studio resides, just a tight corridor) is to put the mic (instead of the comp.) in another room (=long cable for both mic&headphone).
I set levels (approximately), hit record and run to the next room...The only good thing about this is that it keeps me in rather good shape...in fact, this is the only sport I'm practising...(pretty silly).
And when I get lazy, I make my recording along with the *$%£#@.§* noise and try to convince myself it's adding some kind of analog warmth to the track...(pretty silly Part II).

I really have to move from this flat and find a more appropriate one (if there is such...).
Old 11-26-2001, 08:36 PM

There is a way to get a longer cable for the Digi001. Here is a older post on this subject. Good Luck.
This is a quote from a thread on the Digi001 Mac users forum about making/buying a longer cable for their Digi001. Anyone who is as sick of the fan noise as much as I am will apreciate this invaluable info:
quote:

As a self-appointed "Digi001 Pioneer" I remembered this old post from last summer:
>> posted August 13, 2000 03:23 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cable Extension Success!!
I, too longed to move my noisy Mac into an enclosed rack away from my mixing environment, but was told by Digi Tech Support that a longer cable was not available and if I obtained one on my own, it wouldn't be supported. When I said I'd like to take my chances and asked for a spec on the unusual connector so that I could try to obtain a 3rd party cable, the technie said he didn't know and had no way of finding out. (Ahhh, "service.")
So, I did a little hunting online and ID'd the connector on the Digi001 I/O cable as a rare SCSI-2 connector known as a "micro-centronics 50" (sometimes called a "mini-centronics" or a "HPCN50"). More surfing turned up CS Electronics, a supplier of custom cables in Irvine, CA. For $47.50, they made me a 10-foot replacement cable, which I had in my hands within 48 hours!! Great quality, too.
Have been using it with my Digi001 with no ill effects or timing errors. Don't know if cable lengths longer than 10' would cause the problems that Digi cautions against but, for me, it was worth the shot and it paid off -- no thanks to DigiDesign.
Contact CS Electronics at (949) 475-9100, or "http://www.cselex.com" or [email protected]. <<<
Obviously, you are on your own if you do what this guy did.
Good luck,
Jeff D.

If anyone decides to go beyond 10 feet, could you please post your findings (good or bad) so others can know of your experiences!

--------------------
Dan Azvedo
Old 11-28-2001, 09:44 AM

I had a similar problem. The G4 computer is not really that noisy but the Lacie 36GB LVD Ultra SCSI Hard Drive is pretty loud. My solution was to build an Iso-box or Isolation Box for the Computer and hard drives. I used a single sheet of MDF (high density particle board) and lined the inside with tar roofing paper and shag carpet. The box must be ventilated and so I used a Middle Atlantic Q-Fan (Quiet Fan) for ventilation. If anyone is interested in specifics I could take a picture and offer instructions. The whole thing cost me about $250 not including $150 for a table saw.

It took many days to get this thing together and is quite a project. You can buy premade Iso-boxes from companies like Sweetwater Sound.com and elsewhere on the internet but they will cost you around $1600.00.

My box still has a little noise but with careful mic placement, you can avoid picking it up even with high end tube condenser mics. Good luck! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
PTLE 8.0.1
Eleven Rack
002 Rack
Old 11-28-2001, 01:35 PM

Even with my MAc in a closet built for it. I am going to need to do more.
There are a few mods you can do to make the G4 quiter. There is an excelent article at xlr8yourmac.com dealing with this.
THe easiest one is to cut off the fingerguard on the powersupply. THe G4 case hase a fingerguard also, so you wont miss the metal internal one. This apparently makes a big difference.
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/q...ver_noise.html
Old 11-28-2001, 09:40 PM

HipHopWong,

I just wanted to point out that the box you have built with a fan in it is not an Iso Box. That name is trademarked and the idea is patented. As far as the premade boxes go, there is only one, the Iso Box. Raxxess makes one, however they licensed to under the Iso Box patent. The cost is also well justified considering that I've seen the 16 space road case version cool a G4, a Rorke 4 bay scsi chassis, a 13 slot pro tools expansion chassis, and an AV Option XL box at a temeperature under 85 degrees!! Another key feature is that it's not just fans that are keeping the rack cool. The fans work in conjunction with a thermostat that can control the speed of the fans to increase as the box gets warmer inside and if it gets too hot inside it sounds an audible alarm warning you that things are too hot. If I were you I'd be careful about calling your box an Iso Box and then offering to give other people details on building it.
Old 11-29-2001, 12:17 AM

Here's a company selling quiet fans. I haven't tried them yet but I think I shortly will, suffering from the same problem as everyone here.
http://www.quietpc.com/casefans.html

6am eternal