Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2009, 09:48 PM

Default Cannot close sessions or protools

having a problem of not being able to close sessions/protools 8.
recently installed waves tune(full version from tune lite) also installed waves dorrough meters (demo). anyone else seeing this? pt go's into hang mode after force quitting. once up and running again i have to reset all of protools prefs.C"MON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
p.s. one of the cool things about 8 is the MEW, that is now buggered.is this how its gonna stay?
p.s.s. is the reason rewire disaster gonna be addressed? i cannot seem to get the >workaround< from the read me to work either
so much wated time
Old 03-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Avid

Default Re: Cannot close sessions or protools

Have you tried removing the plug-ins you just installed, to see if the problem goes away?

When you say the 'MEW is buggered' - what are you referring to? If you're talking about having to untarget all open MEWs before opening a new one, we know about that and, yes, it will be fixed.

Reason ReWire disaster? Can you tell us what you're experiencing exactly? I mean, I know what the Read Me says, but you have to provide more info on what you are experiencing if we have any chance of helping you.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:20 PM

i placed the new plug ins in the unused folder and the problem still happens.
at times the problem doesn't exsist. it is random but, sunday it happened 6 times.pretty much the whole day with a client

in a session,everything going well>finish the particular session>close session> pt hangs. i now have to open task manager and end process.
relaunch protools then have to reset all of my prefs. starting with procontrol,digi pre, software prefs etc.
also have to wonder if the session was saved when it hung trying to close.not fun. lot of wasted time
wierd, but i noticed this seems to happen when i use the shortcut to close a session and protools but, i cannot confirm yet.

yes, thats it concerning the midi editor window. as far as i know i did not see a definate answer to this.thanks you for confirming its scheduled to be fixed ,thats excellent news.MEW rocks!!

opened up some older sessions with a client that contained reason, i get the reason rewire or audio engine not working error.
i tried following the read me workaround to no avail.
i do not rule out pilot error on this one

digi,thanks for replying. hopefully, this will get looked into. workflow comes to a screaching halt when this happens. every now and then i get the feeling that us pc HD guys get tossed out the window.sorry for the frustarating posts. its nice to know you actually visit the HD pc forum
Old 03-09-2009, 09:53 PM

I've had issues closing Pro Tools too. So far the sessions have closed fine and I haven't lost anything, but Pro tools will hang on closing. Tonight, I unchecked the "Use DSP cache" button and it seemed to be better. I only used the system for a few hours afterwards, so the real test will be in the next few days. I will report back after I've used the system more extensively.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:13 PM

thanks for the info third eye. oh it happens with keyboard shortcuts and with the mouse on my machine. it also happens all the time now
i will look into your workaround,thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Avid

Can you let us know if disabling DSP caching helps?

Also, if you need help with the Reason issue, can you give me an exact step by step of what you're doing, so I can try to determine where it may be going wrong? The steps in the Read Me should do it (it's a PITA, I agree, and it's one of those things I'm pushing to get fixed asap. I see it on my rig all too often and, while not a show-stopper, it sure is super-extra annoying.)
Old 03-11-2009, 10:24 PM

with dsp caching unchecked,i can now open reason. reason opens with no (read me) workaround required
thanks for the info
still had one closing session problem. although, it seemed better once i unchecked dsp

as the session was closing the screen froze but, i was able to close protools with the stuck screen
Old 03-12-2009, 07:09 AM

I'm pretty sure unchecking the dsp cache has helped me too. I've not had any issues closing Pro Tools since. I did have one issue opening a session, where the mix window gui was messed up and only showed me the top left corner of the window. I closed Pro Tools, restarted the program, and the session opened fine.

x9blade, a quick question for you. Have you been able to make PT8 large address aware?
Old 03-12-2009, 10:48 AM

I'm having this problem also. I will try the cache, but also I notice that when you hit save it does save the session, then if you select close session and do not save it, it will close and you can open another one.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:53 PM

third eye,in short to you question,no.
i do have a boot file setup for this and i do use that file at every boot.
i tried with gtrdom one night a while ago.we messed with it for hours using mini grand. he got way more instances on his le rig than i got with HD.i will have to talk to him to see if he remembers the actual numbers.
have you been successful?
in my system properties window it does indeed show that i'm in large address aware mode but, i don't see the performance that le has