Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2007, 07:46 PM

Default digi 003 low latency with outboard effects?

i was wondering if someone has found a way to have some effects through the headphones while recording in low latency mode. . .i know all plugins are made inactive durring low latency mode but is there a way to do it through outboard gear? of course i still want the signal to be recorded dry, but some vocalist like to hear a little reverb while laying down a track. . .i'm running a digi 003 with an m-audio octane preamp via light pipe. . .thanks for any info. . . .

mike g. . .
Old 03-26-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: digi 003 low latency with outboard effects?

Set your Buffer at 64, put a verb plug-in to taste on the Master and uncheck Low Latency Monitoring. When you've finished recording, disable or remove the verb plug-in and mix away. At a Buffer of 64 and a verb plug-in, no noticeable latency should be heard by the performer.

I regularly track at 64 with Waves C1 Compressor, TrueVerb and L2 Limiter plug-ins for my headphone mix.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 03-27-2007, 06:42 AM

Here's another thing to try. Create a mono aux track beside your vocal track, set the aux track input to the same input as your vocal mic, add a verb plugin on the aux track.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-28-2007, 05:12 PM

thanks for the input guys. . .the 64 buffer works good for latency but, the only drawback is the infamous "raise buffer error". . .i guess i'm running too many plugins and internal midi programs. . .looks like im going to have to start bouncing midi to audio tracks again and hope for the best. . .but yeah. . .putting the verb on the overal mix while tracking deffinately sounds better than trying to lay down voclas and hearing a dry mix on the headphones. . . thanks again. . i'll keep tinkering around with the ideas. .. thanks again. . .

mike g. . .