Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2004, 01:14 PM

Default looping midi - recording audio

I wonder if this is possible:
I have a midi track 4 bars long. I've selected it to loop
I record this midi coming from my synth as audio source.
But i want to do this repeatedly. So i can play with the filter or envelopes of the synth and record a new 4 bar audio region for each time loop restarts.
In logic you can do this. There's an auto create function that makes a new track every time the loop restarts. I don't expect pro tools to do it because of the track limit. But is there anyone who's got an idea ?
Old 07-13-2004, 02:07 PM

Default Re: looping midi - recording audio

highlight your 4 bars of midi, and repeat them as many times as needed. alt+r is the hot key on windows for this. Then the midi loop will continue repeating the amount of times you entered. after that, just take the sections you want in the audio and bounce them down as 4 bar loops you choose.

good luck
Old 07-14-2004, 12:12 AM

It doesn't seem like you just wanted to repeat exactly what you recorded, right? If it was, you would've just copied and pasted, if anything, right?

Anyway, I think that (maybe) this can work. I've used "Loop Record" for audio before, but not for MIDI. Under "Operations", there is a function called "Loop Record". Select the exact amount of bars you want your synth to restart at and highlight it, even if there's no information there. Apple-Spacebar, and it should "loop record". This creates a new region each time the region begins, which should do the same for your sequencer.

Although, now thinking about it more, this may make it difficult for your synth if you're using MIDI beat clock. Your synth may start over each time and do exactly the same thing. Who knows? I don't have much experience with MIDI and Pro Tools.

Let me know if loop record works for MIDI, I'm curious.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:53 AM

Logic is much better and elegant for this. As mentioned before,the repeat command is the best way I've come up with, short of starting Logic

One thing, a little off topic, is that viewing your MIDI track as blocks while arranging your song makes PT a little more Logic-like.