Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2003, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Best System for PTLE for under $1000.00

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen Hallada:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by basschair:
Hey Allen

would I probably get higher performance if I had the system drive hooked up normally and the audio drive hooked up to a Promise ata100 tx2? Also, is it preferable to have a 256 cache, or the 512K L2, 128K L1 cache? I'm going back and forth between the xp 2500 that you suggested and the 2700, but if there's no real difference in performance, then I'll go 2500.

paul
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Paul,
Go with the XP2500. That is one of our best performers here on the Davec test with the A7V333-X motherboard. As far as the promise controller goes, yes I do think it still improves performance with most setups. I would put the audio drive on it and leave the system drive on the regular IDE channel.
Take care,
Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Alright, sounds great! I've got the stuff on the way...xp2500, a7v8x-x, volcano 11, etc. Sweet!!!!!
Old 07-03-2003, 06:01 PM

Hey Allen,

I've got an interesting question for you. I haven't seen this problem pop up for anyone, or at least no one in the thread or any I know using the Digi 001.

My specs are as follows:

A7N8X mobo
AMD Athlon XP 2400
Western Digital 20 Gb HD
IBM deskstar 80 Gb HD
Radeon 9500 DDR 64 Mb Vid card
Crucial 512 Mb Memory
Lite-on 52 speed CD-RW
Generic Floppy
Digi 001

Now get this: This is the second time my friend and I have put the system together--the first time, we were getting the infamous blue screen of death--"physical memory dump complete."

We troubleshot everything, and were convinced it was a problem with the mobo. It was returned to newegg. We received a new A7N8X a week later.

The second time putting it together went fairly smoothly, only a couple problems with that finicky video card. However, after installing the PTLE software, the blue screen invaded. It pops up now every time I enter the PTLE program, so I'm convinced the original problem was, indeed, a conflict between some of my hardware settings and Pro Tools.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this sort of problem. Allen, I know from reading this thread so many times that you tend to have good advice. What do you think? Your comments, as always, are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve Pahl
Old 07-03-2003, 07:14 PM

Quote:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by basschair:
Hey Allen

would I probably get higher performance if I had the system drive hooked up normally and the audio drive hooked up to a Promise ata100 tx2? Also, is it preferable to have a 256 cache, or the 512K L2, 128K L1 cache? I'm going back and forth between the xp 2500 that you suggested and the 2700, but if there's no real difference in performance, then I'll go 2500.

paul
Go with the XP2500. That is one of our best performers here on the Davec test with the A7V333-X motherboard. Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Greetings Mr Vet,

Does the 2500 need to be overclocked to beat the 2700? (This would be on the A7V8x)

Cheers,

Haigbabe
Old 07-03-2003, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Qatica:
Hey Allen,

I've got an interesting question for you. I haven't seen this problem pop up for anyone, or at least no one in the thread or any I know using the Digi 001.

My specs are as follows:

A7N8X mobo
AMD Athlon XP 2400
Western Digital 20 Gb HD
IBM deskstar 80 Gb HD
Crucial 512 Mb Memory
Lite-on 52 speed CD-RW
Generic Floppy
Digi 001

Now get this: This is the second time my friend and I have put the system together--the first time, we were getting the infamous blue screen of death--"physical memory dump complete."

We troubleshot everything, and were convinced it was a problem with the mobo. It was returned to newegg. We received a new A7N8X a week later.

The second time putting it together went fairly smoothly, only a couple problems with that finicky video card. However, after installing the PTLE software, the blue screen invaded. It pops up now every time I enter the PTLE program, so I'm convinced the original problem was, indeed, a conflict between some of my hardware settings and Pro Tools.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this sort of problem. Allen, I know from reading this thread so many times that you tend to have good advice. What do you think? Your comments, as always, are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve Pahl
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I suspect you have the deluxe version of this motherboard. Best to disable as much as you can that you aren't using. Also, play with your PC slots and the digi card. I think your problem is with video card conflicts myself. Just a guess though. See if you can find any updated drivers for that video card too from their website.
Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Haigbabe:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Allen Hallada:
Hey Allen

paul
Go with the XP2500. That is one of our best performers here on the Davec test with the A7V333-X motherboard. Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Greetings Mr Vet,

Does the 2500 need to be overclocked to beat the 2700? (This would be on the A7V8x)

Cheers,

Haigbabe
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I haven't seen any performance enhancement with the XP2700 over the XP2500. The XP2500 was overclocked to get the best Davec results though.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:58 PM

Quote:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Qatica:
Hey Allen,

My specs are as follows:

A7N8X mobo
AMD Athlon XP 2400
Western Digital 20 Gb HD
IBM deskstar 80 Gb HD
Crucial 512 Mb Memory
Lite-on 52 speed CD-RW
Generic Floppy
Digi 001

Thanks,
Steve Pahl
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I suspect you have the deluxe version of this motherboard. Best to disable as much as you can that you aren't using. Also, play with your PC slots and the digi card. I think your problem is with video card conflicts myself. Just a guess though. See if you can find any updated drivers for that video card too from their website.
Good luck and let us know what you find.
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'd tend to agree with Allen here... but I've never built a Digi 001 based system around that mobo.

With the 002 / PT LE, I found most of the stuff on the "deluxe" version of the A7N8X to be problematic. You'll definitely want to disable just about everything if you can, and only leave up whatever you absolutely MUST have. For example, while I have USB enabled, the LAN, onboard audio and a lot of other stuff is disabled in BIOS.

And as far as video goes, I had all sorts of problems until I switched from my old Matrox G550 to the Redeon 9000 Pro 128 MB.

Have you tried different PCI slots for your 001 PCI card? And can you list your IRQ's for us? It is probably not the issue, but it never hurts to be safe.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:39 AM

Allen, if Digi ain't paying you they should be.
I guarantee this thread is responsible for bringing tonnes of PC users to the franchise, and even bringing some Mac guys over to PCs.
Thanks fella.
Old 07-05-2003, 05:11 AM

help in nj....

listen,

does anyone know a good computer store in north jersey. mabey even someone who knows about pt.
thanks in advance..
Old 07-06-2003, 05:01 AM

Hi Allen I just got my new Allenstien machine from United Micro and I had some questions about the hardware and software that is installed.I ordered the machine as per your list( AMD Athlon 3000 +,Asus A7V8X,andeverything else from your list)I also have a sound card that I did not order,I dont really care I was just wondering if it can cause any problems its an "SoundMAX Intergrated Digatal Audio" it has a SP/DIF imput or output Im not really sure it didnt come with a user manual,and there seams to be a lot of other stuff(programs)on the hard drives,like AOL 8.0Plus I havent even tried to record anything yet I just listen to the Demo songs that came on the Digi LE software disk and the machine froze twice and I got a message that THE SYSTEM HELD OFF INTERUPTES FOR TO LONG. Thanks in advance any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-06-2003, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by T-MAC:
Hi Allen I just got my new Allenstien machine from United Micro and I had some questions about the hardware and software that is installed.I ordered the machine as per your list( AMD Athlon 3000 +,Asus A7V8X,andeverything else from your list)I also have a sound card that I did not order,I dont really care I was just wondering if it can cause any problems its an "SoundMAX Intergrated Digatal Audio" it has a SP/DIF imput or output Im not really sure it didnt come with a user manual,and there seams to be a lot of other stuff(programs)on the hard drives,like AOL 8.0Plus I havent even tried to record anything yet I just listen to the Demo songs that came on the Digi LE software disk and the machine froze twice and I got a message that THE SYSTEM HELD OFF INTERUPTES FOR TO LONG. Thanks in advance any help would be greatly appreciated
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Either remove the audio card that came with it or disable it and try again. If you still get an error message, try putting the digi card in slot 2.