Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2002, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Best System for PTLE for under $1000.00

Do I need (5) case fans to prevent overheating? ...3 intake fans on the front (1 on my 2 hard drives and 2 fans underneath it)... 2 exhaust fans on the upper back panel...

I run a AMD 1.33 T-Bird its enclosed in a paded comp. desk cabinet with a door..its still very loud
Old 12-14-2002, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by REtroJECT:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Allen Hallada:
Sounds like you have a messed up motherboard bro.
Good luck,
Allen
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Allen, thanks for the info. I sure hope I don't have a messed up mobo. I solved my problem (disabled the nic). I haven't run the Davec test to see how I do, but the disabling the nic solved my problems (odd...since I had one in my 98 box without any issue). I disabled USB 2.0 as well...it just isn't necessary right now.

Why do you not recommend the VIA 4-in-1 driver updates? I've done 'em already (so far so good). Do they lower performance? Are they buggy?[/QB]<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well that is actually outdated info I gave you since I haven't seen any issues with the new motherboards and WinXP. We did have problems with the 4 in 1 drivers on Win ME and 98SE. Congrats on getting it going again.
Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2002, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloux:
Do I need (5) case fans to prevent overheating? ...3 intake fans on the front (1 on my 2 hard drives and 2 fans underneath it)... 2 exhaust fans on the upper back panel...

I run a AMD 1.33 T-Bird its enclosed in a paded comp. desk cabinet with a door..its still very loud
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That is overkill in my opinion. I just run a Panaflo out the back as exhaust. Very quiet and keeps the air flowing just right. The other fan I really like is the 80mm Enermax manually adjustable case fan from www.newegg.com . That way you can turn it down during recording if you need to although they run very quiet at most settings.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Wow...
I've got a rear exaust fan and Volcano CPU sink.
My XP stays well within acceptable thermal range.
I know Tbirds tend to run a bit hotter but it seems to me you could get by with less.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Here is a question that I always get different answers for:

What is the "acceptable thermal range"? I have an AMD XP 2200 and a Volcano 7+ (setting always on low to reduce noise) with arctic silver 3 between the cpu and heatsink on an A7V333. When the sytem is idle, it runs at about 48-50c. After session work, it is at about 55-56c. I set the bios to automatically shut down at 70c. Even though I haven't had any problems so far, I still would like to know if this is an acceptable thermal range.

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2002, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by j old school:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Wow...
I've got a rear exaust fan and Volcano CPU sink.
My XP stays well within acceptable thermal range.
I know Tbirds tend to run a bit hotter but it seems to me you could get by with less.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Here is a question that I always get different answers for:

What is the "acceptable thermal range"? I have an AMD XP 2200 and a Volcano 7+ (setting always on low to reduce noise) with arctic silver 3 between the cpu and heatsink on an A7V333. When the sytem is idle, it runs at about 48-50c. After session work, it is at about 55-56c. I set the bios to automatically shut down at 70c. Even though I haven't had any problems so far, I still would like to know if this is an acceptable thermal range.

Thanks.
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Those temps are normal. You are fine bro.
Old 12-14-2002, 01:13 PM

Well, here's the latest on the A7N8X / XP 2700 machine:

I pulled the Matrox G550 out and installed a ATI Radeon 9000 Pro. All graphics problems and stability issues seem to have gone away. It's only been a day or so, so I'm not signing off 100% on this yet, but things look promising.

I'm having problems with this finding my MIDI interface most of the time - it's a MOTU Micro Express Parallel port model, and they have driver issues that are probably unrelated to the mobo. I'm going to ditch it for something else - any suggestions? I need at least 4 X 8, and the ability to use a patchbay applet so I can directly patch one in to one of the outs (for my MTC setup).

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 12-15-2002, 04:13 AM

Hi Phil,

Quote:
I pulled the Matrox G550 out and installed a ATI Radeon 9000 Pro. All graphics problems and stability issues seem to have gone away. It's only been a day or so, so I'm not signing off 100% on this yet, but things look promising.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Good news. Who'd have thought the reliable old Matrox would be a problem? Still, that's computing for you! Guess that comment about the nVidia chipset prompted you?

Now, in case I've missed it, what is the performance like davec-wise on this?

Best regards,

Haigbabe
Old 12-15-2002, 09:33 AM

Man! Killer thread.

I am considering either building or contracting a local geek to build my daw. Is the latest, best component list available? I will use digi 001 and add the nuendo native tools bundle + the uad-1 later. Any updated list would be very cool
Old 12-15-2002, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thompson:
Man! Killer thread.

I am considering either building or contracting a local geek to build my daw. Is the latest, best component list available? I will use digi 001 and add the nuendo native tools bundle + the uad-1 later. Any updated list would be very cool
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Check the first post on this thread. List was just updated today. Some guys are using the new A7V8X and A7N8X motherboards also. No performance increase with these new motherboards yet.
Good luck,
Old 12-15-2002, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Haigbabe:
Hi Phil,

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I pulled the Matrox G550 out and installed a ATI Radeon 9000 Pro. All graphics problems and stability issues seem to have gone away. It's only been a day or so, so I'm not signing off 100% on this yet, but things look promising.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Good news. Who'd have thought the reliable old Matrox would be a problem? Still, that's computing for you! Guess that comment about the nVidia chipset prompted you?

Now, in case I've missed it, what is the performance like davec-wise on this?

Best regards,

Haigbabe
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, I was surprised by the Matrox issues - normally, that's an excellent AGP Video Card - but I had read a single post somewhere here on the DUC that said they had compatability problems with the nVidia chipsets (I guess there's some bad blood between the two companies?) - I don't recall on which thread, or who posted it (was that you Haigbabe? If so, THANKS!), but as soon as I swapped it out for a Radeon, all those problems I was having suddenly disappeared.

As far as DaveC results, they're still somewhat disappointing. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I think it MIGHT be that the 002 is a bit more of a performance hog than originallty thought - but I'll gladly take my results (32 + 7 - see the "PT Performance" thread for a new post with all the details) WITH this system and a 002 instead of the 32 + 12 results others are getting with 2400's and a Digi 001. Although I wouldn't complain if a BIOS update somehow allowed me to get 32 + 16 or something. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.