Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2008, 02:35 AM

Default WEIRD kick drum timing issue

Hi all

This seems repeatable for me and is driving me nuts !..
take 2 tracks , and put 1 different kick on each (audio) , perfectly quantized to grid.
Copy these kicks to beat 2, 3, 4 so you end up with 1 bar of 4 kicks on each track .
Now play this ...all sounds good.
Select the bar of kicks on both tracks and consolidate.. now kick 1 in the bar sounds different from 2, 3 and 4.????
Its as if the first region is being clipped by the consolidate, like its missing a bit of the attack (even if played from before the bar start,and kicks 2 3 and 4 sound somehow tighter together?
Any ideas? this is driving me mad ...Ive read all about sample rounding, but I think this is non related.
Just to confirm, Im in ticks mode, and trying this with only 1 BAR of kicks
All I want to do is consolidate so I dont end up with hundreds of regions , but it seems beat 1 is ALWAYS different sounding...

EDIT..ok it seems like this is a start latency issue.Whichever kicks I select as first (so for example if I just loop round 3+4) , 3 sounds weird (softened) , 4 doesnt.
I have no idea where to start looking for why..its as if PT is always clipping the start of whatever is on bar 1 ..any thoughts?

any ideas before I go mad ?

Cheers

Bill p

PT HD3 7.4cs4
Old 09-30-2008, 02:42 AM

Default Re: WEIRD kick drum timing issue

hey man do you have auto fade activated in the prefs?

this may make the first transient sound a little weird - although it would of been a problem when they were all individual regions......

work a look..... was the first thing that came to mind

also is there any reason you are in ticks?

C.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:59 AM

Default Re: WEIRD kick drum timing issue

Hi Carl

well well

yes I do have autoxfade on.. 10 msec. Tried turning it off and it all appears to be normal now!
So it appears that during a consolidate, that makes a big diference to the result !
I had completely forgotten about this..its all flooding back to me now!

many thanks Carl..you have saved me from a lunatic asylum

cheers

Bill P