Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2003, 10:51 PM

Default not an audio playback volume

I just purchased a 002R, everything seems fine. I created a new session with no problems. Here's the hitch. When I copy my saved work created using my 001 and PTLE 5.3 onto my freshly formatted drive (done according to the Getting Started specs), then try to open a session, I get the error that the volume in not an audio playback volume. This happens when I get the message that the current disk allocation is not available and it wants me to check the disk allocation. I select the custom option and the location of the files and then I get the error. If I cancel this step it will open the session but states that the wave files are in an unsuitable location and wants me to copy them. Same results.

I'm at a loss. Is there a method for importing older work that I'm not aware of?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:05 PM

Default Re: not an audio playback volume

You have to have the audio files on a valid Playback audio drive.. check the drive setting in the Workspace window.. each drive will have a letter under the A (for Audio) and V (for Video) as to its capabilities.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 10-23-2003, 02:01 AM

I checked the Workspace and the Audio column was set to Transfer. When I tried to change to Record the message box told me the volume in question was not a valid audio volume.

Next step?

Thanks
Old 10-23-2003, 09:14 AM

Ensure that you have DMA enabed in Hadware Devices for your IDE controller.. if all else fails you'll not be able to use that drive for playback and recording... I have some partitions on my system which aren't "valid audio drives" too.. even tho' they technically are set up correctly.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 10-23-2003, 09:40 AM

Make sure your drive is formatted as a primary partition in windows ( See disk Management in XP help). I had this problem even though I thought I had set it to be one but it still wasn't so I reformatted. This is so PT doesn't think you are trying to use a RAID ( I think! )
Old 10-23-2003, 10:25 AM
Avid

Hello,

There are two kinds of Drive Signatures: Basic and Dynamic. You need to use a Basic volume for audio playback and recording. You can check this by right clicking on My Computer go to Manage > Storage > Disk Management. On the right hand side you will see all drives connected to the system. Check the Drive "Type" to see if it is Basic or Dynamic.

If the drive is listed as Dynamic you will need to reformat the drive as a Basic Disk to use it with Pro Tools.

I hope this helps.

Mike
Old 10-23-2003, 11:16 AM

The disk management tool doesn't let me define the drive as basic, it automatically assigns it as dynamic.

Suggestions?

Ooops. I just check the help on disk management and was able to change the drive type to basic. It's formatting now.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:47 PM

That did it...

This little tid bit of information should be included in the 'Getting Started' documentation. Once the drive type was set to basic the volume was automatically set to Record in the workspace.

Thanks for all of your help.

Colin