How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2023, 09:45 AM

Default Workspace Folder Access

Beginners question. Coming back to ProTools after 10
Years. When I open the Workspace I see my Dropbox ‘Volume’ where all my audio files reside but I’m unable to expand the volume in anyway, there is a small blue down arrow on the folder icon but I haven’t been able to discover what this means, would anyone here know ?
Old 11-12-2023, 10:02 AM
Avid

Default Re: Workspace Folder Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeScan View Post
Beginners question. Coming back to ProTools after 10
Years. When I open the Workspace I see my Dropbox ‘Volume’ where all my audio files reside but I’m unable to expand the volume in anyway, there is a small blue down arrow on the folder icon but I haven’t been able to discover what this means, would anyone here know ?
Hi there,

When you say, dropbox, are you referring to files linked on the cloud?
Can you post a screenshot of it?

Thanks!

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 11-12-2023, 10:15 AM

Thanks for replying, its driving me crazy.

The Volumes and Folders that have the little down arrow do not display there contents in the main window, does that make sense ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-11-12 at 18.11.21.jpg (50.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-12-2023, 10:21 AM

Better screenshot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-11-12 at 18.20.09.jpg (42.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-12-2023, 11:45 AM

Thanks for posting screenshots.

The down arrow on a folder like this typically (at least for me) is because the folder is unreadable, as in the file permissions don't allow it to be read.

I'm not sure what this arrow is supposed to mean. It's confusing since it implies something like download.

You can reproduce this say by just making a folder unreadable using UNIX file permissions. You need to start troubleshooting here by having a careful look at what permission and ownership are on the folders showing up in your this in Workspace marked with those arrows.

Since Workspace does not actually update to reflect the state the file systems in real time and caches so much of this info if you change permissions etc. on file or folders you need to restart Pro Tools (not just launch another Workspace window) to see the effect of that in a Workspace.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-12-2023 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-12-2023, 01:23 PM

DropBox recently made some changes where an update moved the "local" folder into User>Library (accessible by pressing Opt+ the GO menu) >CloudStorage>Dropbox. I think this also changed file permissions so that only the admin account can access it...

You also had to make a choice to keep copies of everything in this "local" folder or opt to have it saved only to the cloud - an effort to save local disk space I guess.

A. Is it possible you are currently logged in with a different account?

B. Are you sure you have this folder saved to your local drive and your shortcut is trying to point to the folder in the cloud? (Is the DropBox app currently running?)

If you're using this folder as your PT session folder you'd of course need permission, and you'd want to have it "local" on your computer's HD or SSD so PT can read and write to it quickly.

If you want to use DBox as a handy backup scheme, I would recommend leaving the DBox app off while working and then running it when you're finished so it can upload the copy. Seems like a lot to ask for it to be chasing and trying to upload files as quickly as they appear.

Just some ideas.
TB Native + Omni at home
Apogee Duet 3 on the road
Old 11-13-2023, 01:35 AM

thanks so much for these insights it has helped me think more clearly about it. In the end it seemed it was a Mac OS / Sonoma thing rather than DropBox , which i did think was the culprit with the recent change mentioned.

I had a look in System/ Privacy & Security and the Files and Folders and under the Pro Tools entry Drop Box was not enabled . Well at leasts its sorted.

Thanks again for your replies.