How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2023.3 - Major delay compensation bug

I'm seeing this as well since I updated to 2023.3 but I just did a test on my system where I bounced a mix (with no time-based effects) while the Dly indicator was red. Then I went to the mix window, right-clicked on the delay compensation number and clicked "Disable Plugin Delay" on the Master Fader. The Dly indicator turned green and I bounced the same mix. After lining them up, they null to 0.

Are you sure that the delay compensation overages are actually causing things to play out of time on your system?
Old 04-03-2023, 03:57 PM

Any updates on this?
Old 04-03-2023, 07:16 PM

So funny, I remember WAY BACK when the word from Avid or someone said to uncheck Delay Compensation and then re-check or select it again in a session to fix Delay Compensation. Seems like this has happened for years, but I try to keep ahead of this stuff.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 04-04-2023, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
I try to keep ahead of this stuff.
I try to stay aways from plugins that cause latency problems. I have a folder in unused folder named Mastering, and I place high-latency plugins there, because I prefer using live-compatible (as in can use while tracking) plugins and get extra plugins when I do mastering.

But to each their own
Old 04-04-2023, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I try to stay aways from plugins that cause latency problems. I have a folder in unused folder named Mastering, and I place high-latency plugins there, because I prefer using live-compatible (as in can use while tracking) plugins and get extra plugins when I do mastering.

But to each their own
This is what I do, as well - have deactivated Auxes in Unused Folders that are loaded with plug-ins sorted how I categorize them - Mastering EQ, Tape Saturation, Distortion, etc. Sure would also be nice if Avid let us create our own lists of plug-in categories. Looking at the plug-in list when you have a lot of them is just a mess.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 04-11-2023, 05:52 AM

I am experiencing this bug with 23.3 silicon or rosetta, AVID WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!
Old 04-11-2023, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post

But to each their own
Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
This is what I do, as well - have deactivated Auxes in Unused Folders that are loaded with plug-ins sorted how I categorize them - Mastering EQ, Tape Saturation, Distortion, etc. Sure would also be nice if Avid let us create our own lists of plug-in categories. Looking at the plug-in list when you have a lot of them is just a mess.
Great tips. Logistical thinking.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory
Old 04-11-2023, 10:19 PM

Hey All,

SOOOO, I dove DEEEEP into this. A bit of a detailed back story, stay with me here!!!

Ok, so I mix records all day every day and as a result, I have to print stems of EVERY track in the song through the master fader. ALL major labels need full stems printed through the master for Atmos mixes/archival reasons. It takes FOREVER, but it has to be done. Of course we know that in other daws you can print multiple tracks through the master at the same time, but.... not in Pro Tools. This sucks big time because in ALL versions of Pro Tools before 2023.3 the master bus was NOT delay compensated. That means for every stem I printed, I also needed to re-import and line it back up to where its supposed to be (it was being delayed by the amount of samples being created by the plugins on the master fader). I thought this was ridiculous, many of my peers thought it was ridiculous, but we had to do it.

This brings me to 2023.3, when I updated I realized a few things immediately...

1- Sessions that were previously working completely fine in regards to delay compensation were now opening up with the red "DLY" under the counter. This was happening on all different types of tracks, Aux's, Master, Audio....

2 - I did a quick test and bounced a tune, I realized that the master bus was 100% being compensated now. YAY!!! This will save me so much time when printing stems, and let's be real here, when you export a song in any daw you should be able to import it and have it line up correctly. But.... BOOOOO, this is what is causing the strange behavior on all others tracks delay compensations.

So, heres where I'm at with this now. If you want 2023.3 to act like EVERY other version of Pro Tools ever you need to right click on the delay compensation of the master bus and click "Disable Plug-in Delay". Boom, you're now back to normal. If you want to have the master being delay compensated, leave it on.

While I definitely don't love that preference is on by default now (its clearly caused a number of people great confusion), I do LOVE that it is now an option.

Sorry for the long winded post, but it had to be done!!!
Old 04-11-2023, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisDouglas View Post
Hey All,

SOOOO, I dove DEEEEP into this. A bit of a detailed back story, stay with me here!!!

Ok, so I mix records all day every day and as a result, I have to print stems of EVERY track in the song through the master fader. ALL major labels need full stems printed through the master for Atmos mixes/archival reasons. It takes FOREVER, but it has to be done. Of course we know that in other daws you can print multiple tracks through the master at the same time, but.... not in Pro Tools. This sucks big time because in ALL versions of Pro Tools before 2023.3 the master bus was NOT delay compensated. That means for every stem I printed, I also needed to re-import and line it back up to where its supposed to be (it was being delayed by the amount of samples being created by the plugins on the master fader). I thought this was ridiculous, many of my peers thought it was ridiculous, but we had to do it.

This brings me to 2023.3, when I updated I realized a few things immediately...

1- Sessions that were previously working completely fine in regards to delay compensation were now opening up with the red "DLY" under the counter. This was happening on all different types of tracks, Aux's, Master, Audio....

2 - I did a quick test and bounced a tune, I realized that the master bus was 100% being compensated now. YAY!!! This will save me so much time when printing stems, and let's be real here, when you export a song in any daw you should be able to import it and have it line up correctly. But.... BOOOOO, this is what is causing the strange behavior on all others tracks delay compensations.

So, heres where I'm at with this now. If you want 2023.3 to act like EVERY other version of Pro Tools ever you need to right click on the delay compensation of the master bus and click "Disable Plug-in Delay". Boom, you're now back to normal. If you want to have the master being delay compensated, leave it on.

While I definitely don't love that preference is on by default now (its clearly caused a number of people great confusion), I do LOVE that it is now an option.

Sorry for the long winded post, but it had to be done!!!
Are you able to get near 16000 samples of delay comp? That's the real question. You've solved your case since you have plugins on your master bus that added to the delay. BUT... that means you just subtracted the delay that was being comp'd on the master bus when you deactivated.

Still doesn't answer if you can exceed 8000 samples with regular plugins on stems, etc to the actual limit that is supposed to be 16000+.
Old 04-11-2023, 11:49 PM

Yes, I’m able to get 16000 samples of delay comp. With delay comp manually turned off on the master (it’s natural state on every other version of Pro Tools until now), sessions/delay compensation are working exactly as they have in the past.

Clearly the “bug” here has to do with the implementation of delay compensation on the master bus and how that interacts with the other tracks.
Closed Thread