Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2003, 01:15 PM

Default Help with Kensington Expert Mouse (trackball)

Hi,
Is there a PT application set for this thing and can anyone share if they have it? I'm attempting to make the switch from hocky puck to trackball and so far I am liking it...just would love to use those extra six buttons across the top for inside-protools functions. The directions just tell me how to lauch websites and other applications.

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2003, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Help with Kensington Expert Mouse (trackball)

I have one too, theres no way to program them. But you can program the four around the ball with the Kennsington control panel app. (You can download it from them)
Old 03-21-2003, 11:56 PM

actually you can program the 6 top buttons with the latest version of MouseWorks, the control panel that controls it.

Go to the page where you pick the button's function. Hold down option and you'll get the full menu. Now you can assign them to tool selections, or whatever.

There is no pre-made application set for PT, everybody sets it up for their own thing. There have been a few threads where people listed their own custon settings,you can do a search for it.

My set is this:
bottom left-click
bottom right -double click
top left-zoom tool
top right-smart tool
quick launch buttons:
1-save as
2-delete selected tracks
3-bars and beats
4-mins/secs
5-page back (edit window jumps left)
6-next page (edit window jumps right)
Old 03-22-2003, 05:06 AM

For OS9.x the latest seems to be 5.7. Does PT need to be up when you start programming? Or basically I need to write down my keystrokes and then program them, right?
Old 03-22-2003, 10:20 AM

If the mouseworks utillity ain't working for you, try a handy utillity called 'USB Overdrive'.
It is a control panel and extension that replaces your mousedriver and allows you to assign any keycommand/click combination to any button.
Better still, you can make different setups for different programs as well.
Works great.

Cheerio,

Joris

(btw, it works with any usb mouse/trackball, regardless of the vendor)
Old 08-22-2003, 04:50 PM

Captain Crunch, could you (or someone else) explain how you made the top 6 DirectLaunch buttons access non-shortcutted menu items such as Save As, Delete Selected Tracks, and selecting the main time scale. I would love to make a custom response to access the Preferences dialog to temporarily turn on/off settings without having to scroll the menu. The tip about holding down the option key: BRILLIANCE! I probably would have never learned that. Custom responses have saved my life. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:33 PM

Quote:
There have been a few threads where people listed their own custon settings,you can do a search for it.
I only wish Kensington made enough room to put a label above those 6 buttons...I NEVER remember what I programmed them to do...

Stein Tore
Old 08-22-2003, 06:13 PM

You need to specify system 9 or 10. I think the top buttons are only programmable w the Mouseworks that's for OSX. Use quickeys for menu actions etc and trigger the quickeys hot keys w the Kensington. Also the new scrolling support in 6.1 is great w that track ball w scroll speed ste to "very fast".
Old 08-24-2003, 04:57 PM

<<If the mouseworks utillity ain't working for you, try a handy utillity called 'USB Overdrive'. It is a control panel and extension that replaces your mousedriver and allows you to assign any keycommand/click combination to any button.>>

Do you run "Mouseworks" and "USB Overdrive" at the same time or do you not need "Mouseworks" when using "USB Overdrive"?
(970) 663-1650
InSight Sound Web Page
Old 08-25-2003, 11:52 AM

By the way, the newest driver on the Kensington site is the one you want to use. I had problems using the older OSX version and 10.2.5...the newest driver (2.03 I think) and 10.2.6 seems to be fine...

I've got mine set the same way I had it in OS9 (the newest driver also added back in the full launcher functionality) - which is cool because I never need to use the Dock:

top left - Finder
top right - double-click
those two together - application launcher
bottom left - click
bottom right - Option-click
those two together - Shift click

Mouse Speed.....FAST...
You can get to a bunch of things in PT with those choices...

S..

Scofield...