Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Re: recording live show, afraid of crashing

I've done this with 16 tracks with no problems on my iBook G4... recorded 3 nights, 3 sets a night... with not one problem... setting the buffer high is the trick.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:12 AM

Quote:
I've done this with 16 tracks with no problems on my iBook G4... recorded 3 nights, 3 sets a night... with not one problem... setting the buffer high is the trick.
Yup, that's pretty much it. Also, be wary of bad cables carrying clock signals. I once did a show where the 01v giving me the additional 8 ins via ADAT would stop sampling for a bit, then start going once the crappy S/PDIF RCA reconnected itself. It's the kind of thing that would've never come out in a session that didn't run for 80 minutes nonstop. I also agree that testing it yourself a few times before to make any adjustments would be a great idea.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:45 PM

Thanks everyone!
i set the max-track length to 90 min and buffersize on 1024 samples. I ran a 1 hour test 2 times, once with zooming in and out, solo-buttons, emailing and browsing, went all fine. 1 will also get my audio from a 01V and set clocksource to adat. i will record the whole soundcheck and see, if theres any clock-trouble.

Does anyone think, stopping record between two songs(if i see, the break will be at least 10sec) would be a good idea? Or do you say: if it runs - let it run!

Greetz,
Florian
Old 09-21-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone!
i set the max-track length to 90 min and buffersize on 1024 samples. I ran a 1 hour test 2 times, once with zooming in and out, solo-buttons, emailing and browsing, went all fine. 1 will also get my audio from a 01V and set clocksource to adat. i will record the whole soundcheck and see, if theres any clock-trouble.

Does anyone think, stopping record between two songs(if i see, the break will be at least 10sec) would be a good idea? Or do you say: if it runs - let it run!

Greetz,
Florian
No, don't stop btw. songs. Just don't. Occasionally, crowd banter is interesting...

Instead, place a marker at the beginning of every song (makes it easier to edit later).

Your test is a good start, but it doesn't mean much since the 01V isn't connected. You're still on thin ice, esp. from DJ Insomniac's experience.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Your test is a good start, but it doesn't mean much since the 01V isn't connected. You're still on thin ice, esp. from DJ Insomniac's experience.
This might be right, but its not my 01V, so i cant test the whole setup before soundcheck. When there are many porblems during the Soundcheck - i know, it will cost me a lot of sweat and it might go wrong.

Setting markers - i thought about that, but its very easy to do that later, so i wont ask my G4 to do that while recording, if i dont have to.

Greetz,
Florian
Old 09-22-2007, 05:21 AM

I would check to see if your model of powerbook has the sudden motion sensor hard drive system that was introduced to some powerbooks and now all mac laptops. You need to turn it off in recording sessions where you will be subject to vibrations because your HD may lock-up thinking it's being dropped resulting in a crashed session. This has to be disabled via terminal.

Cheers

Sudden Motion Sensor
Old 09-23-2007, 05:08 PM

everything worked out fine, external clock, 48K from the 01V, 2 room mics, 18 channels up to almost 90mins(the last band). buffersize was 1024, max track length 2h.

thanks, try it yourselfs, its easy! i think im gonna look for maybe two guys, who know how to handle a serious digicam and start producing and selling live-dvds! what really sucks: youtube is mono!

greetz, florian