Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2022, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Ultimate | Video Editing

When it comes to pro tools for video editing, I know an app that allows you to have so many opportunities while editing videos. You can try all the video effects for davinci resolve. There are plenty of transitions, cinematic elements, color luts, and so much more. There are 20 packs at all and 10000+ assets. The best part is that they are still evolving, and new updated variants are frequently coming. If you are looking forward to buying an app with pro tools, you have found it. I have been working for years with it and am so pleased. You need to try it to understand how simple and interesting it is.

Last edited by quesadilia; 11-16-2022 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-20-2023, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReynaldoPena View Post
Hello community,

Good day, how are you? Hope all is well. I'm becoming more and more interested in video editing. I see that the regular version of Pro Tools 20 which is capable of both audio and video editing is OK. However, I don't see any YouTube or even much of a buzz regarding Pro Tools and video editing. I will admit, I do see Pro Tools in MASTERCLASS sessions from blockbuster movies. Does anyone have a link I can do my research? I am currently using Da Vinci Resolve and iMovie.

Is the $2,600 really worth it, I think so. Please confirm. Also, links, if any (please, thanks).
Gotta go with the crowd here ( note I am not a pro ). BUT for video editing? IMO Answer no -- not worth switching to Ultimate for just video
I would call the video in PT Studio and Ultimate more of the ability to play a video track in PT ... not a video editor
I use Final Cut Pro X but if I were you and was comfortable using DaVinci I would stick with that . And spend that $2600 on mics or something

I have similar gear to you (see below)

My typical work flow for my music video's for You Tube
#1 is shoot the 4 K vid on my iPhone and record the audio into PT Ultimate
#2 Export video from phone to iMac desk top
#4 Trim video start and stop times and or separate clips for multi takes in QuickTime
#5 Import trimmed unedited video into PT Just to get idea of how video will look in reference to the audio

#6 Export final mixed WAV file (ONLY) to desktop open FCPX create new video Movie project/etc and import the WAV and timed QT Mov into new FCPX
Do the video editing synced to the audio and then export it all as a 4K H264 movie for upload to YouTube

looks like this

https://youtu.be/GgfNdybr5dw

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 01-20-2023, 04:57 PM

The video features in Protools are mostly just to have a scratch video track to build sound tracks to.

Any real video editing is done in Media Composer, Final Cut, Premier Pro, or DaVinci Resolve.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 11-15-2023, 09:20 AM

I started my video editing journey two years ago and explored various platforms. Some were alright, others felt like a waste of money. Eventually, I settled on Movavi. It's not super popular, but it has features like an intuitive interface, broad format support, and some neat effects. It's a good balance between user-friendly and professional.
If you want more details on how it works and its features, this article might be helpful: https://www.movavi.com/support/how-t...eo-editor.html.

Last edited by Riversound; 11-20-2023 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-15-2023, 01:50 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
The video features in Protools are mostly just to have a scratch video track to build sound tracks to.

Any real video editing is done in Media Composer, Final Cut, Premier Pro, or DaVinci Resolve.
JCBigler....

IMO you are spot on. Even though I work for Avid, I've been in the video side of the business for over 30 years so I guess that gives me the right to a response here... :)

If you are going to do any real video editing, then go with a video editing app. The ones mentioned are tools which everyone should learn as you never know what your client will want at some point in time.

Media Composer is the best IMO as it has the best media management, and interoperability with Pro Tools. I am versed on them all such as MC, FCP, PP, Resolve even ones that aren't really around like Media 100, Pinnacle and more....

Get a low cost version and learn it - there are tutorials all over the place to help and you can also ask questions here to on community.avid.com which is for the editing community.

Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

We're Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com
Old 11-15-2023, 03:26 PM

I use FCP, which I got with the education discount. The nice thing is FCP and PT run at the same time without a hiccup.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 11-15-2023, 09:24 PM
Avid

Though Pro Tools Ultimate is capable of basic video editing, its video editing functions are very limited and not really recommended for heavy video editing. Simple cuts/compositions will do but would be best to edit on NLEs like Avid Media Composer to get the job done.

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com