Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2021, 10:16 PM

Default Pro Tools Clipping Issue

Hey Guys,

Odd thing happening in pt 2020.11
I have an Apollo x16 and a Burl B2 Bomber connected via the AES input.
The Burl (when run over 0 and clipping) shows it’s clipping in the console app on the AES input but in Pro Tools, the input appears to be rounded off at -.01 and doesn’t ever clip the channel. It almost looks like there’s a limiter inserted on console but there are no inserts. Wondering if this is just a metering thing or if it actually sounds different because it’s in fact limiting. Is there some kind of soft clip on the channel? Or something in pt that’s making this not appear the same as in console?
It’s also important to note that any other channel (inputs 1-16) when run over 0 will clip normally.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

-Ross
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7C2B070B-B1E2-4136-A911-9DAE7A56FAE9.jpg (23.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 501C68B7-F2EB-4E58-9077-902D5FCD4370.jpg (26.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-28-2021, 05:00 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Clipping Issue

Why are you running so hot an input level? Absolutely no need to do so and if the input is that hot use a pad on the input or turn down the signal going into the converters.

QAPLA!
Old 04-28-2021, 05:12 AM

These pictures are merely an exaggerated test to get a visual of driving the input to demonstrate the issue.
That being said, there is secret sauce in hitting the burl hard and depending on the project it can call for it to add vibe that is unparalleled.

Check out this video on using A/D converters from an analog mix perspective and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

https://youtu.be/SQpAJItaWAs

Either way I’d like a solution to the problem, not forcing it to clip and ignoring the issue is not the solution but thank you for your input.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosshc44 View Post
These pictures are merely an exaggerated test to get a visual of driving the input to demonstrate the issue.
That being said, there is secret sauce in hitting the burl hard and depending on the project it can call for it to add vibe that is unparalleled.

Check out this video on using A/D converters from an analog mix perspective and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

https://youtu.be/SQpAJItaWAs

Either way I’d like a solution to the problem, not forcing it to clip and ignoring the issue is not the solution but thank you for your input.
He's not driving the Burl into clipping. There's a whale of a difference between driving converters into clipping versus driving them hard. To tell the truth I don't hear a lot of dynamic range; overcompressed sounding as several commenters have said.

QAPLA!
Old 04-28-2021, 05:37 AM

Well first of all he is me, so thanks for watching and getting me an extra view on the video LOL.

It’s totally cool if you don’t know why it’s not showing that it’s clipping, I also don’t know, and I’ve spoken to uad and burl and they don’t know either, that’s why I’ve come to the forum. I’m not into arguing about why I’m clipping the converters, as I said it’s a feel thing that some projects and clients want and it’s gotten me a lot of work doing what I do when it’s called for.

Still looking for an answer...anyone?