How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools R.I.P.

I had a bud of mine that works for a pretty big audio company that was showing me all the avid hdx systems they had for sale. They switched to cubase 8.

Avid is making a big mistake with this new model. A lot of folks going to cubase 8. Im probably going to do the same unless the hd policy is satisfying to me.

Cubase is 549 and has very cheap upgrades. It is also very powerful.

Avid needs to do two things.

Drop the price of the software to compete with the rest of the market. Support your customers that buy your pricey hardware.

Those are the two big ones. Also make upgrades easy and reasonable. Crossgrades should always be available.

Give us features we want. There are features that other daws have that protools does not. No excuse not to be up to date with features.

12 is a joke features wise. Nothing new to see here.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
I totally agreed until I tried to back up this argument today and found...
I hate to tell you but (AFAIK) - all written info of the "frozen license" has been deleted from AVID site ...
The most solid info I can see is here - https://www.avid.com/US/products/pro...ware/licensing . Read footnote 1 - still looks like the license is a mandatory update to me.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-01-2015, 01:19 PM

I am currently on PT 10 (with the complete production toolkit) and PT 11 and have no plans to upgrade. PT 10 and 11 work fine for me (especially in combination with Reaper and Sibelius), and frankly the new features are pretty unimpressive, especially in contrast with the rather strange pricing policy.

I'll keep using PT, just won't upgrade, at least not anytime soon. I know plenty of people who keep using older versions of Pro Tools in their studios.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
I totally agreed until I tried to back up this argument today and found...
I hate to tell you but (AFAIK) - all written info of the "frozen license" has been deleted from AVID site ...
I'll share what was shared to me.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...14-Offer-FAQ#6

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...icensing-FAQ#3
Old 04-01-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanonbass View Post
I had a bud of mine that works for a pretty big audio company that was showing me all the avid hdx systems they had for sale. They switched to cubase 8.

Avid is making a big mistake with this new model. A lot of folks going to cubase 8. Im probably going to do the same unless the hd policy is satisfying to me.

Cubase is 549 and has very cheap upgrades. It is also very powerful.

Avid needs to do two things.

Drop the price of the software to compete with the rest of the market. Support your customers that buy your pricey hardware.

Those are the two big ones. Also make upgrades easy and reasonable. Crossgrades should always be available.

Give us features we want. There are features that other daws have that protools does not. No excuse not to be up to date with features.

12 is a joke features wise. Nothing new to see here.
Have you visited the Steinberg forums?

To me it looks like the grass might be greener, but I see a lot of "this crashing that crashing" and "how do it do this advanced thing" type of threads.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:04 PM

All daws have bugs.

But 12 is a 599 bug fix lets face it.

Plus the new subscrption model is too much. Cubase is priced far better. My buddy claims its very stable. They are running on pc as well.

My issues arent even with the software. Its avids continued greed. Drop support for this, bug fix upgrade for that. Now 599 a year for upgrades i might mot want.

Grass is looking a lot greener. Protools is now becoming too expensive when there are many other options that work and work well.

Im holding out a bit more for avids hd user policy. If it sucks im gone.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:43 PM

Talked to my friend tonight (he's on PT9), helping to spec his new system....We've decided to go with the latest rMBP, Apollo duo, Logic X.....I'll eventually move over to Logic completely too but I'll keep the HD system around so I can still access my PT sessions if necessary.......moon
Old 04-01-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmusic View Post
Talked to my friend tonight (he's on PT9), helping to spec his new system....We've decided to go with the latest rMBP, Apollo duo, Logic X.....I'll eventually move over to Logic completely too but I'll keep the HD system around so I can still access my PT sessions if necessary.......moon

Which is what I've been thinking I'll do. However, it seems to me that as I progress in time through Logic versions.......and the Mac OS will keep updating too.......at some point, Pro Tools will stop working. At that point, will what I've saved in not paying $$$ yearly be greater or less than what it costs me to get a PT system running again? Yes, I suppose I could dedicate the then "legacy" computer and PT to just sitting in the corner and only be in use when needing PT for a transfer. But will all PT sessions past 12 be backward compatible should someone send a newer session?

A friend argued that I should just dump PT totally and, since I'm predominantly a mix engineer, have everyone give me WAV files. That's great in theory; bad in practice. It's just not always an option. Many clients don't want to do that whole process and just hand over the session "as is".

Oh......I'm still going to phase in Logic over the next few weeks. But just wondering about the math of what's to come sticking at PT 11 HD.

FWIW.......here in Nashville, I travel between about 5-6 major studios and quite a few personal or project rooms. Only one has moved PT 10. Most have just now moved to PT 9. Why have they not gone to 11? Mostly because they don't want to replace old C24 consoles or if they have a traditional desk, they see no benefit to it. And they also have no interest in paying a yearly subscription when they know fully well that whatever they're running now will last another 10 years; and their studios might not.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:50 PM

Surely this has been mentioned previously in a post or faq.......but I'm not finding it in the volumes of info concerning all this:

If I just hold my system at PT 11HD and don't move on to subsequent versions or the subscription plan, are PT 12 sessions backward compatible and abled to open in 11? And even if they are, wonder at what point that will change....you know, one of those "we have to drop support for......."?
Old 04-03-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
And they also have no interest in paying a yearly subscription when they know fully well that whatever they're running now will last another 10 years; and their studios might not.
And here's where the rubber meets the road.