Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2001, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Backup solution needed

Shawn B, it's also a problem of long term reliability. On long term only CDR or DVDs can be considered realiable enough. What you think ?
s.d.finley 80 minutes for 3,9G means about 15mins for 700 M (a 'full' CD) which is quite slow but not bad. Have you had any problems in reading back the data (same time) ? What if you had to send the data to another PT studio, could they read it with a normal DVD player and at what speed ?

------------------
www.downinhollywood.com

[This message has been edited by stevegalante (edited April 19, 2001).]
Old 04-19-2001, 02:37 PM

Use a an IDE drive CHEAP & FAST & rewritable
Back-up 20 gb in 20 minutes
about 140.00
Old 04-20-2001, 02:55 PM

I have not sent any of my sessions to any "PRO" studios as of yet. However, the DVD-RAM drive i purchased is MITSU****A, which is the OEM drive in the new G4's that have DVDRAM drives in them, except that they are IDE drives not SCSI. One of my band members lives in NYC, he has dual G4500 MP w/
DVDRAM, and has NO problem loading up my sessions...he has PTLE 001 also.
I have no problem reloading my sessions either....of course i always make 2 copies, one on DVD and one on extra SCSI drive.
Backing up is a little slow, but its better than having to keep loading CDR'S and having to keep trimming sessions file so they are less than 700 mb. this takes time too.
DVDRAM is quite a a bit less expensive that lets say DDS4 drives, which are almost $1000!
dds2 is cheaper, but its like 1 gig an hour
and those dives are around $450 bucks too!
I have not tried to boot a PTLE session right off a DVDRAM disc, i always transfer it to one of my SCSI drives first...why?
i donot know...i just have not tried it.:O
The DVDRAM drive was so EZ a chimp could have installed it!
Any DVD player, wether RAM or ROM, should be able to read the media, same deal as CDRS.
If ya got any more questions, i am more than happy to answer them.

peace

sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com