Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2009, 04:44 PM

Default Re: i7 Builds - Specs and Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
the board defaults its ram to 1066 for some reason, i guess to be safe so it typically has to be adjusted. for triple channel it needs its ram on 1-2-4 but if a ram stick is 2 it runs it as dual channel and actually works just fine, but of course lose some of the ram power.
I have a triple channel OCZ 3x2 (6Gb) kit which should be 1600, so I adjusted it to match that... :) (in slot 1,2 and 4) This OCZ kit is 'especially for i7' optimized for X58 chipsets.

One other thing about my hd's.. I now have the barracuda 1tb and I have my os and pt installed on it, which isn't the right thing, but I don't have another (fast) hd.. I only have another (older) Maxtor 160gb drive, also Sata but only 1,5Gb/s instead of 3 gb/s for the barracuda...

Do you think it would be better for the performance to install xp on the maxtor drive and have pro tools run from the barracuda?
(So I would also install PT to that drive and not on the Maxtor...)
Old 03-14-2009, 04:48 PM

Here's the setup I'm about to get.

i7 920
Gigabyte UD3R
OCZ Platinum 3X1GB

That appears to be close to what several other people here are using, and I'm really hoping it will help with performance/stability issues I'm having.

Btw, could someone point me to the post that details the 3GB switch?

WATYF
Old 03-14-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctur View Post
Hey Guys. Sorry, where's the typo - on the digidesign website, on the intel website, in the post?
I have a fresh built i7 system and poor performance results.
Have major Problems with my Waves SSL Bundle V6.08 and "poor" 215 D-Verbs with PT8cs2. Sessions that were created on a AMD X2 5000+ System with SSL-Plugins in it won't run for some reason on this new System. And yes, I did the "European Windows Waves Regional Options Fix". Not for the first time, since I owned these Plugins before.
If I change HW-Buffer on a "medium Session" with CPU-Usage at 25% from 1024 to 512, CPU pops up to about 98%.
This is the fourth Machine I am building for Pro Tools and nearly the most disappointing one. The Setup is a bundle with i7 920, Intel dx58so, and 6Gb of 1600 DDR3 (Exelram), 1TB Samsung HD for Sessions, 350 GB Maxtor HD for Samples and one extra Maxtor 350 with two partitions for OS and misc Data. No RAID, No Hyperthreading. No cards except an Matrox QUID E128LPAF GraCa. In my opinion there should not be any performance issues regarding the HDs or the other System componets. I don't know what else to do and think about trying the Intel Application Accelerator and hopig for a wonder, although it is from 2002.
After the third complete system reinstall I'm quite desperate.
Ideas anyone?
Regards
arctur
would need details about your install process and what is installed.

is your vid card in the top most slot for your type of card?? does your vid card have onboard audio???

are checking for correct driver versions and 32 bit os and such?? downloading the newest updates, not from the disc??

i would install the os, install acronis to take an image.

install chipset drivers, video card drivers, sound card or lan drivers if you need them, take an image.

update the bios and do necessary bios tweaks. update windows, and then do basic windows optimization shutting off unecessary components, start up stuff,etc. take an image.

download the newest quicktime, install. install pro tools. check stuff out make sure all is working well. take an image.

install your waves and test. then if it is working or if it isnt working update pro tools to cs2. i would not install anything else at this point and see if it will run. now if all is well or not you can jump back to any point in time with your images to try new stuff for troubleshooting.

this would be my EXACT process. i would also disable the onboard audio and lan while testing. i actually dont have my machine hooked to the web at all so i dont even update windows.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-14-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvees View Post
I have a triple channel OCZ 3x2 (6Gb) kit which should be 1600, so I adjusted it to match that... :) (in slot 1,2 and 4) This OCZ kit is 'especially for i7' optimized for X58 chipsets.

One other thing about my hd's.. I now have the barracuda 1tb and I have my os and pt installed on it, which isn't the right thing, but I don't have another (fast) hd.. I only have another (older) Maxtor 160gb drive, also Sata but only 1,5Gb/s instead of 3 gb/s for the barracuda...

Do you think it would be better for the performance to install xp on the maxtor drive and have pro tools run from the barracuda?
(So I would also install PT to that drive and not on the Maxtor...)
i dont remember right off if you had the intel or gigabyte board. on the gigabyte you skip the second ram dimm, and use 1-3-4.

i would just leave the os drive. a sata 1 drive for most purposes will be fine. your 160 maxtor will be fine till you can upgrade.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-14-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATYF View Post
Here's the setup I'm about to get.

i7 920
Gigabyte UD3R
OCZ Platinum 3X1GB

That appears to be close to what several other people here are using, and I'm really hoping it will help with performance/stability issues I'm having.

Btw, could someone point me to the post that details the 3GB switch?

WATYF
here

all you need is step 1. you dont need to download the masm 32 or anything else, JUST FOLLOW STEP 1.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-14-2009, 07:50 PM

cool, thanks.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
just wanted to post i just ordered some ddr 1600 ram that is supposed to be able to oc at 1800 at 1.65 volts which means it is completely in spec and the timings are completely normal as well. figure it should arrive next week. it was a killer price as well so as soon as that is tested i will be able to post results with it.
remember...keep that BCLK jacked up and open!!!

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 03-15-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
remember...keep that BCLK jacked up and open!!!
got it back up to 3.4 right now. seems to run so nice here, just a bit warmer than i like. and of course the ram is underclocked a bit so went searching for options. think i found it!!

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-15-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
got it back up to 3.4 right now. seems to run so nice here, just a bit warmer than i like. and of course the ram is underclocked a bit so went searching for options. think i found it!!
did you try droppin' the cpu multiplier and uppin' the BCLK while droppin' the cpu voltage?? you probably did!!! you around tomorrow?? if so i'll hit ya up

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 03-15-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
did you try droppin' the cpu multiplier and uppin' the BCLK while droppin' the cpu voltage?? you probably did!!! you around tomorrow?? if so i'll hit ya up
i messed with it on the last go around when we were messing with it and got decreased results.

yea try to track each other down. i will be in all day, but have multiple things going. need to get some ideas for cleaning up the first page also, and what info is needed to add. i am getting tired of typing the same info all the time. dont know how you and sunburst kept the q thread going so long!!

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10