Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2004, 07:24 AM

Default Midi and notes!

for the first time I was playing around with MIDI and Sampletank yesterday. I have a question about editing the notes on a midi track in PT. Is there a way to know what note(s) you lines are? I don't play keyboard and I only see them as bacl and white lines. Is there a way for PT to tell or show you what note(letter) your cursor is over when drawing notes in?
Old 04-26-2004, 07:32 AM

Default Re: Midi and notes!

There is a midi vertical zoom control right next to the audio vertical zoom control. Once zoomed in enough, you'll see the keys more clearly and an octave number on the keyboard to the left of the track. If you click on the keyboard area, you can set your track height.

I don't think there is a way for it to tell you the letter, but if the key has a number on it, it is C. Placing notes while zoomed in enough and using that keyboard for reference should get you up to speed with where the note names are located pretty quickly.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:36 AM

Thanks Chris....this far I got .....my prob is I can't look at a keyboard and tell what keys are what note(letter). I am a guitar player and I know notes and I know what I am playing but Lets say I want to add a keyboard chord in the key of (B), I have to click all over the place til I find the note I want by hearing it. I want the little black and white keys to display the note letters on them. :S
Old 04-26-2004, 07:37 AM

You can print one of the pictures from this web page to use as a reference if you like.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:43 AM

Thanks...I think that seems to be the only way about it.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:57 AM

I'm not in front of a system at the moment to check this, but I think the cursor plot will indicate what note value you're over when you're on a midi track. The cursor plot is that area of ever-changing numbers on the right side of the black bar at the top of the edit window, under the selection indicators roughly.

But on a side note, perhaps you should spend about 5 minutes and memorize the piano keys. It's really not difficult at all. I just always remember that the note between the 2 black keys (the black keys are all sharps and flats, there's a group of 2 and a group of 3) is D. The note to the left of D is C, to the right is E. It only takes a few minutes to workout what's what and memorize it, even if you can't play piano. You probably already knew that, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Old 04-26-2004, 08:04 AM

well the letters go in order from A to G on the white keys, the D is between the 2 black keys. The MIDI note values have a number associated with them, that is what octave they are on the keyboard and those numbers change at C. ie: C1 is going to be a Kick drum on probably every synth you'll sit at....

so what I mean by the numbers changing is this, B0, C1, D1, E1, F1, G1, A1, B1, C2.... The black keys are the sharps/flats. If its the black key between C and D, then that black key is C# (sharp) or Db (flat)
Old 04-26-2004, 08:21 AM

Thanks...and you're right....I should really learn the notes/keys. I will look for the indicator you talk about next time I am behind the PC. I guess, I was expecting it to be right there in my face. I bet as more and more of us....'non-pros' get behind a PT station that Digi has to do more and more re-programming of the software to make it more user friendly.