Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2004, 09:49 PM

Default End of the line for our faithful Digi 001,

Following the release of Pro Tools LE 6.4 software, Digidesign will no longer continue to include support for Digi 001 systems in future Pro Tools software releases. In order for Digidesign to continue developing new features, refine existing ones, and develop new products, it has become necessary to focus feature development and testing on our currently manufactured hardware. In order to facilitate this, we must end software development and maintenance for Digi 001.

Save with Exchange Programs
If you’re a registered Digi 001 owner and you’re interested in moving to supported Digi 002 products, Digidesign is now offering two Exchange Programs that give you the opportunity to do so at discounted pricing.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:56 PM

Default Re: End of the line for our faithful Digi 001,

I'm surprised that I haven't seen more people comment on this issue here...maybe I'm not searching the right threads..
Old 04-23-2004, 01:19 AM

"If youre a registered Digi 001 owner and you're interested in moving to supported Digi 002 products, Digidesign is now offering two Exchange Programs that give you the opportunity to do so at discounted pricing."

Maybee you will see more when you get a better option than the 001, I for one dont like buying something then having the rules changed, New OS, New Mac, New Plugs, and being forced into it.

Sory, but the 002 and the 002r have now forced our hands, I understand that its so called progress , but this constant shell out is #$&#^%! annoying.

You cant just exchange the 001, you have to change your whole setup again.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:49 AM

Quote:

though I agree with your other statements I think this one is BS.

WHAT do you have to change with the identical I/O features of the 001 and the 002(r)?

the functionality is the same.

regs
Old 04-23-2004, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Quote:

WHAT do you have to change with the identical I/O features of the 001 and the 002(r)?

regs

For us users of the 001 happily running under OS9, it means a NEW OS(OSX-$130) which potentially could mean having to get a new computer, or spending money to upgrade our current one to make it capable of runnign OSX, upgrading all our plugins(potentially thousands of $$$) for not alot of improvement. $700 to "exchange my 001 for better converters(that we don't need as we have outboard converters) 2 more preamps with no pad switch and too hot an input, phantom power on the back of a rack mount unit along with the +4/-10 switching....no thanks.

It's a way for digi to try to force us to spend more money in order to be up to date. We're not going for it, and when the time comes we need to upgrade, we'll be looking toward other software manufacturers other than Digi. They may be the so called industry standard, but they are hardly the only choice.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:46 AM

hi where and all the others,

OK I see your point, the rest of the upgrade problem is highly individual however.
And the pure exhange of a 001 to a 002 doesn´t affect the workflow itself.
But I understand the issues involved

If you have any usefull insight on the low/mid end production solution, please let us/me 001 users know.

The upgrade to the 002 is 900 Euros that is some $1000 in Europe just to bo able to do exactly what I can do now.
If not for the easy uncomplicated interface of PT compared to Logic, Cubase and Nuendo (YES they can do more things - which I don´t care about) I would switch, no question.

As I see it emagic and Steinberg f+++ their users at leat three times a year with new expensive upgrades and if you don´t upgrade you will loose your upgrade path.
Well digi accumulates that up to once every four years (since I bought my 001) big time.

So which trade off is better.

perhaps the option is on a different path,

perhaps something like Ableton and Numerology and an multichannel DAC.

But WHAT do you get for $1500? This is a point where DIGI can´t easily be beaten.

any further suggestions?

I don´t feel like downgrading to an MBOX.

regs
Old 04-23-2004, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

regs

For us users of the 001 happily running under OS9, it means a NEW OS(OSX-$130) which potentially could mean having to get a new computer, or spending money to upgrade our current one to make it capable of runnign OSX, upgrading all our plugins(potentially thousands of $$$) for not alot of improvement.
The 002 still runs on OS 9.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:39 AM

There's a difference between upgrading to OSX and upgrading to the 002. If your pissed becuase Digi isn't putting out anything in OS9 anymore - what do you want them to do?

I have an 001 on a dual 1.25 machine that runs flawlessly in OSX. You can work in OSX on the 001 for a long time before you need to replace it. No matter what software you choose your going to have to go to OSX someday anyway (if you stay on a Mac). Take a slow upgrade path to OSX and then decide if you want the 002/Digi or something else. There are many options.

It doesn't have to be as painful as it may seem.

C
Old 04-23-2004, 10:35 AM

Much of the reason support is being dropped is because PCI slots have changed and the 001 won't work in any of the current Macs you can buy.

I do agree that Digi should have offered a firewire box sooner.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:50 AM

What I don´t get is:

DIGI took great efford into porting the PCI code from OS9 to OSX PANTHER and now they just abandon it?

Does this mean there is also a major change of the mixer and IO in the pipe so that is was too much for them to support the old PCI hardware like 001 and MIX?

It just doesn´t make sense, still

regs