Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2002, 03:48 AM

Default DIGI Help....192 and ADAT Bridge 24..Sessions Waiting

Has anyone gotten his combanation working yet?

I'm using 2 ADATs in the 192 and trying to get 2 more in sync via ADAT bridge 24 throught the Legacy port.

ADAT bridges show up in Hardware Menu

HD 3
1-192 w/ I/O option installed
Old 10-22-2002, 08:20 PM

Default Re: DIGI Help....192 and ADAT Bridge 24..Sessions Waiting

bump
Old 10-23-2002, 11:14 AM
Avid

-What problems are you experiencing? Are they audio (rotuing into Pro Tools) or sync related?

-What is your master clock source?

-What sync device are you using?

Brent
Old 10-23-2002, 08:54 PM

Thanks for responding

Treid all combinations of clock sources...ADAT as master or Internal

all we get is digital noise when the ADAT bridge is in the loop

the ADAT BRIDGE unit does work in another system

I'm trying to record 32 tracks in at time

16 in the 192 and 16 in the ADAT bridge
Old 10-23-2002, 10:34 PM
Avid

Hi Grey,

I have part of your total system available to me; perhaps some of what I learned in setting it up will be helpful.

I have both A & B halves of a 16-bit ADAT bridge hooked up to the Legacy Peripheral port of a 96 I/O via a Y-cable (aka "16-channel Peripheral Cable Adapter"). I have a BNC cable connecting the Word Clock Out (Not Slave clock out) of the ADAT bridge to the Ext. Clock In of the 96 I/O. I don't have any ADAT optical audio sources available, so I patched a CD player to the S/PDIF In of the ADAT bridge for demo sake. (In your case, I'm assuming you'll be syncing optically to the ADAT sources connected to the ADAT bridge and 192 I/O.)

With PT unlaunched, I powered up the CD player, then the ADAT bridge until it settled, then the 96 I/O until it settled. I launched PT. In the Hardware Setup dialog, Main tab, I set the Port Settings to Legacy I/O. I set the two "No Interface" Peripherals to ADAT Bridge A and B, respectively, top to bottom. In my case, I set the ADAT Bridge A's Ch 1-2 Input to S/PDIF -- in your case, you'd choose Optical. Finally, I set the (_96 I/O's_) Clock Source to "Word Clock (44.1 kHz)". I OK'd to save my settings and closed the dialog.

At this time, the LEDS on my periphs were as follows:

ADAT Bridge (nothing blinking):

Sync Ch 1-2 SR Dig Format
A Int Dig 44.1 both S/PDIF
B Slave ADAT 44.1 both S/PDIF

96 I/O:

44.1, Loop Master On, EXT (not blinking)

I configured the I/O Setup dialog as: stereo input path = S/PDIF In (1-2) on ADAT Bridge A; stereo output path = 96 I/O.

With this set-up and a 44.1 session, I was able to successfully record the S/PDIF output of the CD player, through the ADAT Bridge, and into 96 I/O via its legacy port. No noise, no probs. (I did once hear some horrible distortion, and I fixed it by setting Clock Source from Word Clock to Internal and then back to Word Clock.) Of course, I couldn't hear anything on ADAT Bridge group B, and importantly I hadn't hooked up any ADAT sources directly up to my HD periph. I also don't understand why the ADAT Bridge's sync mode wasn't Digital -- perhaps there were audio glitches I missed.

Your HD periph somehow has to resolve one sync ref signal from multiple digital input signals. Does setting the 192's Clock Source to Word Clock work for you? Do you have a master clock reference (feeding your ADAT sources and instead of the ADAT Bridge in my example) that could feed the 192 I/O's Ext. Clock in? Does setting the 192's Clock Source to Optical work? Does setting it from Optical, to Internal, and back to Optical work?

Any distributed sync gurus out there with any ideas?

Jim West
Digi Engineering
Old 10-23-2002, 10:43 PM
Avid

Perhaps you'll find some hints in the Sync I/O user manuals:

- http://www.digidesign.com/support/do...C_IO_Guide.pdf

- http://www.digidesign.com/support/do...O_Addendum.pdf

- http://www.digidesign.com/support/do...IO_Read_Me.pdf

Jim West
Digi Engineering
Old 10-24-2002, 03:05 PM
Avid

OK, scratch what I said before -- I just talked with one of the relevant design engineers about this.

If you have any Legacy peripheral hooked up to an HD peripheral, the HD peripheral _must_ be the source of sync for the Legacy peripheral. (The HD peripheral can still itself be receiving sync from another device.) In other words, you must connect the Slave Clock out of the 192 I/O to the Slave Clock In of the ADAT Bridge. Sync mode on groups A & B of the ADAT bridge should be Slave (to the 192 I/O). Don't use the Word Clock connection from the ADAT Bridge to the 192 I/O
described last night -- that's an unsupported config.

Hook up your ADAT sources to the ADAT Bridge and the 192 I/O -- and make sure all ADAT sources are synced to each other. Finally, set the 192 I/O's Clock source to one of its two ADAT Optical inputs. (If the ADAT sources are synced, it shouldn't matter which one.)

Jim West
Digi Engineering
Old 10-25-2002, 12:11 AM

trying all these

I'll get back to you