Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2008, 02:55 PM

Default Digi III Plug-Ins

I was hoping to get people's "real-world" views/experiences with using these plugs (EQ and Dyn), in a post-production situation. I've been trying them out recently (I know, I'm like 3 years behind the curve), and find them to be useful in my daily workflow, albeit sometimes unpredictable (especially Dyn); at least as compared to using the Waves Renaissance plugs I've been using for years. With that being said, they are much easier on the processor/TDM, which is extremely important to me when routing busses, etc... for deliverables (5.1, stereo, stems, etc...) Anyone have an opinion on this? I know people are going to answer--"use what sounds best"--I'm just trying to get a realistic view of these plugs' reliablity and quality.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Digi III Plug-Ins

I use the 7 Band EQ3 as my default. I don't like the Dynamics, mainly because
it doesn't have negative gain control. The DeEsser3 is pretty good as well.

They're efficient and easy to use.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:39 PM

I look at them this way:

They are a good general (stock console) set of tools,
maybe not the bet choice every time but, never the worst choice anytime

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-21-2008, 06:30 PM

I think they sound great. Without question, they're the best stock plugs Digi has ever released. Compared to my Waves package (RenEq, Q10), the eq on the 7-band 3 is much smoother and easier on the ears in the high frequencies. The 7 band eq has given me great results when it comes to dialog and/or singing clarity. Dyn3 is very powerful. Low frequency musical instruments and effects that are too weak or thin can be made quite powerful and thick with this compressor. The only problem I've ever had with it, is that the attack can be set to insanely fast, which will distort in certain frequencies. Compared to Waves RenEq (which can't go this fast), that's a danger to listen for.

Automation recall seems very tight (as you would expect from the Digi mothership themselves...).

Use them. You may discover, as I have, that they sound great and shouldn't be overlooked just because they came free with our boxes.

Best,

Nathaniel Reichman
www.nathanielreichman.com
Old 09-21-2008, 11:25 PM

EQ3 is "generally considered good", by fair amount of people "really good". I've used it quite a bit and like it when I did. Lately I haven't used it at all, and in the last two EQ shootouts I've done it hasn't faired well at all against the likes of Epure and G Equalizer.

My personal opinion: gets the job done, no doubt, but there are better available.

Perhaps it comes down to "how much do you need a new EQ... REALLY?"

I haven't used Dyn in quite some time. Not that I think it sucked or anything, I just have other things I prefer.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:55 PM

I like the EQIII because of the integrated way to bring up automation on the track.

Also it sounds ok.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:36 AM

I realy like the EQ III. It sounds good, does what it needs to do. A realy 'no frills' EQ. Dyn can be iffy in some situations, but if used wisely, it realy rocks. And its not that hungry for DSP. The De-esser is very good. I might venture out as far as saying its the best one I have..

http://www.cmproductions.co.za
Old 09-22-2008, 07:18 AM

I am also extremely happy with EQIII. It sounds great in my opinion. The high pass filter with selectable slopes is super flexible. I've used it to remove lots of problems. And automating the EQ sounds very smooth. I also love how it integrates with the Icon controllers.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:15 AM

i generally like the sound of the mcdsp filterbank a little better, although the DIGI is no slouch, but the ability to "solo" bands (holding control+shift while changing paramater) when trying to notch out noise is invaluable in my opinion, and makes me tend to use the Digi EQ-III most of the time.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:13 AM

"solo" bands?

How do you do that?

I press Control - Shift and then select a knob or the "dot" on the graph, but it acts like normal. (no solo function)