Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2015, 12:38 AM

Default How to end Avids mismanagement of PTs

Hello All,

Continue to put pressure on Avid to listen to your call.

Cheers
Lachlan

Last edited by lachlan; 07-23-2015 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Too inflammatory
Old 07-23-2015, 12:45 AM

Default Re: How to end Avids mismanagement of PTs

Looks like Avid have unlocked HATE.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
PT's now has dipped below 10% of the DAW market share.
out of curiosity were did you get this number?
everyone/place I know here in the Hollywood area is using PT
now if you're counting all the kids in their bedrooms that will never make a dime using Freeware then I can see 10%

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-23-2015, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
now if you're counting all the kids in their bedrooms that will never make a dime using Freeware then I can see 10%
Well, that's kind the condescending level you would expect from spreadsheet guys - and is spreading down to moderators too it seems.

If anybody buy a daw that money is worth as much to dawmaker whether user is making money or just making recordings for fun, or is learning the trade to one day possibly make money.

About stability - the impressions I get is that PC and Windows is mostly the version causing instability. From reading comments, it's not always obvious but usually the case looking at signature if there is one.

One guy is saying, no problems here, and another is having nothing but trouble - but one is on Mac and other on PC.

Avid are Mac guys, and most development is made on Mac - and therefor run more on Mac than PC. The second OS is always worse, the one you basically compile on and run just for a bit. As a long time programmer, that is what I think.

On other daws it's PC that is main developer platform, and Mac people have more problems.

And using cross platform libraries for development is just translating calls, not optmizing how things are done better on respective platform. So one platform will suffer unless rewriting properly for such a demanding realtime application like a daw.

I think ProTools fits the Avid portfolio just fine, doing what they do. So don't think there will be any sellouts. A couple of reports in the red more, and they will come around and change policies - that's what I think. Current policy is unprecedented in business world of a company still here, kind of.

How long will it take - is the question at hand...how many heads will roll before it changes...
Old 07-23-2015, 02:35 AM

Thinking Avid = ProTools is stupid. Avid, i'ts also Media Composer, ISIS, Newscutter, Venue, Sibelius.... ProTools can collapse and Avid still be there.

If you don't like the way Avid makes his business, go buy another DAW, why don't you ? There's many competitors that worth trying, freeware to 4 digits.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:29 AM

Is there a section on this website where we geeks can just talk about the software and not all this bullcrap? I'm so sick of reading about AVID negativity, I just want to use the software to its optimum capacity and read about tips from like minded users. Maybe the MODS could create a "HATE" subforum and direct all the nasty stuff there.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NipL View Post
Well, that's kind the condescending level you would expect from spreadsheet guys - and is spreading down to moderators too it seems.
Actually, most of the "condescending" comments I see on this forum are from people who are upset they can't have HD for a low price.

A lot of us here actually are using ProTools to make a living and (for me) that entails being able to send/receive projects in a standard format, having a product that offers the feature set I need and using the same set of tools that other people I collaborate with use.

The 10% comment is absolutely ridiculous. It's exhausting to come here to exchange tips and tricks with people and discuss the tools we use only to see people constantly complaining about lack of features or price.

ProTools has never cost me any money. It makes money.

I don't know why it's so hard for people to get their heads around that.

With any software there are going to be bugs. There will probably be some hardware issues and there will be user error. That's life, deal with it.

From what I understand there was supposed to be a mass exodus of ProTools users moving over to some other DAW. If that's the case maybe those products have forums. Maybe you should check them out.

Mods - can we maybe make an Avid Complaint Subforum for people to go complain in so there can be threads from people wanting to use the software here?

Rant off.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @tention View Post
Looks like Avid have unlocked HATE.
I tried to activate HATE but get an error "Error: Insufficient leisure time for HATE. Try to decrease working time."
Avid Fast Track Solo
Old 07-23-2015, 06:15 AM

99.99% of the clients we work with use Pro Tools - it's the hands-down standard here in Nashville. If only 10% of the total audio market uses PT, it's really irrelevant to us.

Our clients provide us with income. Until they dictate otherwise, we will continue using Pro Tools. This part is an easy choice.

However, for budgeting and forecasting we really need to know what the future HD software licensing costs will ultimately be. The unknown and the unknown-unknowns are what make us uneasy.
At PlethoraTone:
Mac Mini M1, Avid Carbon,
PSP, Waves Mercury, UAD, Kush, Slate Digital,
PA, Melodyne, Antares, Audioease, SoundToys
Old 07-23-2015, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
Mods - can we maybe make an Avid Complaint Subforum for people to go complain in so there can be threads from people wanting to use the software here?
Brilliant, Noah! :)
At PlethoraTone:
Mac Mini M1, Avid Carbon,
PSP, Waves Mercury, UAD, Kush, Slate Digital,
PA, Melodyne, Antares, Audioease, SoundToys