Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2013, 04:28 PM

Default Coreaudiod errors on startup

Hi! I am a composer from the Seattle area and I purchased ProTools 10 because I will be learning it in a few months. Ever since installing ProTools, I have been seeing these errors on startup:

com.apple.audio.coreaudiod <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.

com.apple.audio.coreaudiod coreaudiod: _RegisterApplication(), FAILED TO establish the default connection to the WindowServer, _CGSDefaultConnection() is NULL.

com.apple.audio.coreaudiod[97] _RegisterApplication(), FAILED TO establish the default connection to the WindowServer, _CGSDefaultConnection() is NULL.

I have not seriously started using ProTools yet so I can't say whether there are other problems yet. I googled these errors and the closest thing I found was an Apple support thread where a guy figured out that ProTools caused this problem and he solved it somehow, but he did not offer any details or the solution itself. I have read that coreaudiod not responding and crashing the system is a known issue so I'd rather handle this issue now.

When I remove the various Avid/Digidesign system LaunchAgents/Daemons and Startup Items, the problem goes away, but ProTools won't start. The only way to make ProTools run again is a clean uninstall and reinstall. So this is clearly a ProTools problem.

In addition to learning what these errors mean and how to fix them, is there a way to use ProTools and disable all these startup processes? In my experience, these items usually cause more problems and system slow-down than good. The PACE folder also loads but interestingly enough, if I remove it to prevent it on startup, all my other iLok-protected software works, but not ProTools...Either way, I see no reason why I need all this stuff loaded up unless I'm actually launching the program. Any ideas?

P.S. I did search and found o sufficient answer, so I hope I am not wasting anyone's time.

Also I am running 10.6.8 in 64-bit mode and I do not plan on using any Digidesign hardware (running a 2011 Macbook Pro 2.3 i7, with a 6G SSD and 16 GB RAM).

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:17 AM

Post Re: Coreaudiod errors on startup

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_aran View Post
Ever since installing ProTools, I have been seeing these errors on startup:

com.apple.audio.coreaudiod <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
I have seen plenty of software packages trigger this.

Quote:
com.apple.audio.coreaudiod coreaudiod: _RegisterApplication(), FAILED TO establish the default connection to the WindowServer, _CGSDefaultConnection() is NULL.
WindowServer is a system process that the OS starts when you login. It is a necessary process. I don't know that this is a problem.

Quote:
com.apple.audio.coreaudiod[97] _RegisterApplication(), FAILED TO establish the default connection to the WindowServer, _CGSDefaultConnection() is NULL.
Same error as above, repeated.

You are finding these errors in system.log, correct?

Quote:
I have not seriously started using ProTools yet so I can't say whether there are other problems yet. I googled these errors and the closest thing I found was an Apple support thread where a guy figured out that ProTools caused this problem and he solved it somehow, but he did not offer any details or the solution itself.
Are you having any problems, or are you just concerned that these entries are in the system.log file?
Quote:
I have read that coreaudiod not responding and crashing the system is a known issue so I'd rather handle this issue now.
Is it crashing your system? It's not clear to me that coreaudiod is crashing your system.

Quote:
When I remove the various Avid/Digidesign system LaunchAgents/Daemons and Startup Items, the problem goes away, but ProTools won't start.
That's not surprising.

Quote:
The only way to make ProTools run again is a clean uninstall and reinstall. So this is clearly a ProTools problem.
I would say that those items are clearly needed for Pro Tools to function. Again, are you seeing windows saying that coreaudiod (or some other AVID process) is unexpectedly quitting? Is there a problem other than the entries in the system.log file? Just because something is an error in system.log does not mean you have a problem worth worrying about.

Quote:
In addition to learning what these errors mean and how to fix them, is there a way to use ProTools and disable all these startup processes?
You could hold the shift key while starting up your Mac. That will start it in safe mode. I don't know if you will be able to launch Pro Tools after a safe boot.

Quote:
In my experience, these items usually cause more problems and system slow-down than good.
My experience has been different than yours. I have not had an issue with the AVID daemons. I have even written some daemons of my own, and while not nearly as complex as an AVID daemon, they don't cause the system to crash, slow-down, etc.

Quote:
The PACE folder also loads but interestingly enough, if I remove it to prevent it on startup, all my other iLok-protected software works, but not ProTools...
Maybe the other software has the PACE code embedded in the .app file? Pro Tools could be linking to the PACE files in order to limit their dependency on releasing a Pro Tools update every time PACE has to update their software.

Quote:
Either way, I see no reason why I need all this stuff loaded up unless I'm actually launching the program. Any ideas?
You need this stuff loaded up because of dependencies that AVID has coded into Pro Tools. If you don't want to use this software, then don't play any audio out of your interface other than what is within Pro Tools.

Quote:
P.S. I did search and found o sufficient answer, so I hope I am not wasting anyone's time.
If we can educate you in any way, it's not a waste of time.

Quote:
Also I am running 10.6.8 in 64-bit mode and I do not plan on using any Digidesign hardware (running a 2011 Macbook Pro 2.3 i7, with a 6G SSD and 16 GB RAM).
Alright, this is the answer to the question I kept asking above. Unless you are seeing windows that say AVID core audio has unexpectedly quit, don't worry about it.