Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2006, 07:11 AM

Default Re: can\'t get LE 7.1 free? just paid for 7.0

Like I said before;

look at it this way: you're paying $500 for multi-track BeatDetective and 48 tracks. The rest is gravy. If you don't want to pay, you don't have to pay; Pro Tools will still function.

If you want more tracks, you will have to pay either way. $500 for 48 in Pro Tools. $600 for Cubase. $500 for Sonar. etc etc.

Pay nothing and you still have a working system with 32 tracks. It's not like the program is going to stop working if you don't buy the toolkit.

It's just like buying a car; you want to pay less, you get the base model. You want extra features like sattelite radio, custom wheels, leather seats, etc you pay extra. No difference.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 02-14-2006, 08:02 AM

I can't agree, spkguitar.

When you buy a car, if you only want the model with a bigger engine, you don't have to buy also
the sattelite radio. You still can choose the base model with a different engine.

PT is the car, made of engine, wheels, doors, glasses, mirrors, lights, ect.
Plug-ins are the "add-ons" like a cd player, a satellite radio or a lcd colour tv.

What I ask Digidesing is easy:
give us (sell us) a toolkkit without the non-protools stuff.
give us (sell us) a toolkkit with 48 tracks, beat detective and the incredible mp3 option.

Sell it for 500$? 600$, 10$? I don't mind the price.
Each Customer will decide wich toolkit is the best choose for him self.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:11 AM

Quote:
What I ask Digidesing is easy:
give us (sell us) a toolkkit without the non-protools stuff.
give us (sell us) a toolkkit with 48 tracks, beat detective and the incredible mp3 option.

Sell it for 500$? 600$, 10$? I don't mind the price.
Each Customer will decide wich toolkit is the best choose for him self.
I think you missed my point, though; that is what they are doing.
Toolkit with 48 tracks, beat detective = $500. They just happen to be throwing in some plugins for free. If they were to take out the $1800 worth of free plugins they are including, would it still be worth $500 for multi-track BeatDetective and 48 tracks? IMHO, it would.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 02-14-2006, 08:30 AM

Maybe you're right.

But if that's ture, as i've said somewhere here in the DUC, in Digi they have to improve their
communications skills.

But if that's ture, when you read the toolkit advertise (advertisment?..hum .my english some times fails) you don't get the right message.

The pt7.0 upgrade plus advertise was clear: give a few more $$$ and you'll give 2 plug-ins nearly
for "free".

The Toolkit advertise says: give me 500$ and you'll geat these things. Stop.

Another thing.
In the original toolkit advertise was written "Music Production Toolkit includes an upgrade to Pro Tools 7.1 software from any previous version of Pro Tools LE"

Now if you read it you'll find that Digi has changed strategy.
No more 7.1 upgrade included, and 7.0 upgrade needed.
why?

I think that's beacuse it was a marketing mistake.

I think the these toolkits are a mistake too....i hope that digi will cheange mind again.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:35 AM

Didnt meant to make anyone mad.

Sorry some of you don't understand basic marketing to increase business profit. Profit/cost ratio is real low in developing software. Its not like a car, its software. You can't build one car and sell it to thousands(or millions) of people. You have to spend cash lots of cars. But you can develop ONE software and sell it to many. Then they throw in a few plugins that is also ONE program to make it look good. Plugins that you may never used anyway. I can understand charging for major upgrades because some redevelopment is required.

all I'm saying is this. Why wasn't the 48 tracks including in LE 7.0? We've asking for it for as long as I can remember, and I've been a customer for a long time. Was it a last minute thing to add it in the Toolkits? If not why didn't they tell us before we bought 7.0. you've already redesigned the software, so why not include more track count. I bought it for the increased Plugin count, and better midi features, but would have waited if I knew I cold get the same features plus something better.

Maybe they'll give us a $100 discount are something. Maybe after you buy the toolkits. the 003 will be released with will include(or better) 7.1, 48 tracks, and the darn DVtoolkits.

"please stop OVER-complicating simple things"
Old 02-15-2006, 07:02 AM

P.S. I don't think the development or redesign team is all the great. If they were we wouldn't need all the "cs" quick fixes so fast. design it right the first time. But he marketing team should be getting paid big time. cheers

Old 02-15-2006, 07:40 AM

First off, it's been said a hundred times that a discount is being worked out for those who bought the Upgrade. So it's $400 or whatever for $1800 worth of free plug-ins.

Also, your next to last post was going around in circles. It made no sense. On the one hand you say some of us don't understand basic marketing, but then you say that cars aren't made and designed for thousands or millions of people. Uh...how many Toyota Camrys and Ford F-150s are on the road again? Lol! And every software is NOT made for everybody. That's impossible.

Anyway, sticking with the car analogy...Many cars have "luxury" packages that you can add to a basic car. They include the leather seating, sunroof, wood trim, and heated seats. What if you don't want the sunroof and wood trim? Well, it's part of the package, so while you tell them to not put it in, it doesn't mean they'll knock off some loot off of it.

You're asking why they didn't do it with 7? Well, maybe it wasn't ready. Rumor had it that 48-tracks was on the way. Why hold off 7 when there are people who were waiting for stuff like Instrument Tracks? That's just as big for many, many people as 48-tracks are, so not everybody would've been willing to wait.

Look, I feel your plight, and I was one of the early voices saying they should offer both a track only upgrade and the toolkit. BUT...I don't feel like Digi is screwing me over or forcing me to buy anything. Oh, and something is ALWAYS coming down the pike that will include what we're now paying for. So what? That's every company, in every industry in the world. That's not just Digidesign, that's business.

P.S. We're not mad. We're not the ones screaming bloody murder. So don't worry about it, man. Just wait and see what Digi winds up offering. They're a smart company...they haven't stayed in business for this long for nothing ("industry standards" have come and GONE throughout history). You could be wasting all this intensity for nothing, as Digi could be offering a customizable toolkit.
Peace
Old 02-16-2006, 05:55 AM

The point is: 48trakcs are a "luxury" feature?
I don't think so.

If we take a look to the products offerd by digi competitors we can see that 48 tracks are not
a luxury feature. (No, won't buy another seqencer, I love PT...ok?)

Maybe, the multitrack Beat Detecive is a "luxury" feature.

If in digi projects there's a discount for pt 7.0 users...well, I say again that Digi they have to improve their communications skills.

Digi, tell us the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth...
Old 02-16-2006, 06:50 AM

On the topic Protools:

Protools is a beast waiting to be unleashed. With the amount and quality of RTAS and Quad-core processors, Protools is fast becoming as powerful as TDM for a fraction of the cost. The more features and bells and whistles they put into Protools, the smaller the TDM and other markets will be. Digi won't sacrafice one product line to make less money with another.

On Money:

If Digi can make a few extra bucks with Protools then all the power to them. The more money they make with the Protools the longer life it'll have, the more features, and digi won't be as reticient to push a product they can make as much if not more then other product lines. It's pure marketing/economics.

I'm all for the upgrade, but plug-in choice should have been an option. This deal is better for some then others.

--davec
StudioFX Multimedia
SpellWell Software
Old 02-16-2006, 12:22 PM

My statement made all the sense in the world, sorry you didn't get it. To get into more detail on what was said:

a Company can design a car. another can design a software program. Both have to offer product support to some degree when they sell their products to customers. Who spends more money to duplicate(manufacture) that new product to sell to the masses?

by the way, I paid $75.00 to be able to DOWNLOAD the 7.0 upgrade. I did get 3 cd-roms with inserts, a 26pg paper booklet, and a nice shipping box mailed to me and extra few bucks. I guess they'll send me more cd-roms if I buy Tookkit and 7.1

Maybe I can download a new F-150 and a nice Lexus for the wife Just hope that Digi doesnt get to a point where we have to pay a fee each time you open protools to record music

Quote:
First off, it's been said a hundred times that a discount is being worked out for those who bought the Upgrade. So it's $400 or whatever for $1800 worth of free plug-ins.

Also, your next to last post was going around in circles. It made no sense. On the one hand you say some of us don't understand basic marketing, but then you say that cars aren't made and designed for thousands or millions of people. Uh...how many Toyota Camrys and Ford F-150s are on the road again? Lol! And every software is NOT made for everybody. That's impossible.

Anyway, sticking with the car analogy...Many cars have "luxury" packages that you can add to a basic car. They include the leather seating, sunroof, wood trim, and heated seats. What if you don't want the sunroof and wood trim? Well, it's part of the package, so while you tell them to not put it in, it doesn't mean they'll knock off some loot off of it.

You're asking why they didn't do it with 7? Well, maybe it wasn't ready. Rumor had it that 48-tracks was on the way. Why hold off 7 when there are people who were waiting for stuff like Instrument Tracks? That's just as big for many, many people as 48-tracks are, so not everybody would've been willing to wait.

Look, I feel your plight, and I was one of the early voices saying they should offer both a track only upgrade and the toolkit. BUT...I don't feel like Digi is screwing me over or forcing me to buy anything. Oh, and something is ALWAYS coming down the pike that will include what we're now paying for. So what? That's every company, in every industry in the world. That's not just Digidesign, that's business.

P.S. We're not mad. We're not the ones screaming bloody murder. So don't worry about it, man. Just wait and see what Digi winds up offering. They're a smart company...they haven't stayed in business for this long for nothing ("industry standards" have come and GONE throughout history). You could be wasting all this intensity for nothing, as Digi could be offering a customizable toolkit.
Peace