Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2003, 07:28 PM

Default Objective Experience as a new Digidesign Customer

Here is a summary of my history with Digi:

-bought one of the first 002 units from Sweetwater (9/25/2002)
-1 month in, unit starts turning on and off on its own, Sweetwater sends replacement unit overnight
-New unit works great...
-6 months in, headphone jack breaks internally, making monitoring hit or miss
-7 months in scribble strips 7 & 8 start flickering...

Finally call Digi - they say drop it off, as I am near a factory Authorized Repair Center (their Headquarters). I believe my unit is out of warranty, so I'm assuming I will pay for the repair.

Yesterday I drop my 002 off at Digi at 3:30 PM. Staff was very friendly and Larry took my unit.

This morning I get a call at 7:30 AM from Larry saying my unit is ready to be picked up.

My box was sitting there in the lobby. Receipt says:

"Replaced Headphone Jack, 7/8 LCD, new DC Harness. Upgraded fader card to D1. Unit burned in over night. Fully retested, passed all MGT, AP and ProTools 6.1 LE testing on G4 both ports."

They checked the box that says "Original Warranty remains in effect"

Total: $0.00

------

That's the objective record.

My subjective opinions:

1) DigiDesign's quality control on the early 002 batch was shoddy - not sure why my DC Harness was replaced AGAIN but it points to the fact that they have had problems with some sub-assemblies. Maybe it is a subcontractor that they need to replace - who knows. What I do know is that I did not appreciate being a product tester considering the price tag of the 002.

2) I believe Digi stands behind its products and supports its customers, and this is more important than a product that has hiccups. As a result, Digi has earned my loyalty.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Objective Experience, Redux

Bump from WAY back. Had another problem with the 002. The tech told me flat out that they had finally fixed it, and last time I came in they gave me a version that was later replaced... I work close to the manufacturing HQ so they said I could drop it off once I had my Return Authorization.

Same friendly service at the door... only THIS time, Digi FedEx overnighted my fixed 002 back to my home... blew me away!

Now if I just hadn't upgraded to OS 10.4....