Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2004, 05:18 AM

Default Questions on the VST/RTAS-wrapper - done a search

Hi all.

A friend of mine came along with an older version of the VST/RTAS-adapter that he downloaded from N.I. I am very interested in buying this one as I have a couple of good and expensive (but old) VST-plugz. I was trying out the wrapper with the documentation that came with it, but I'm experiencing some strange issues.

First of all, I had the Waldorf Attack drummodule loaded all well in PT. I couldn't load a drumkit however, it said something like "Access violation occured". I thought I'd have to reïnstall the Waldorf app again as I might have put it in the wrong folder. The wrapper has several directories all named "Vst-Plugins". After doing so I couldn't get the thing even loaded in PT (6.4) anymore. There came a message "VST-Shell panic..." or so, "...could not load the Waldorf plugin". Loads of other plugz I managed to load in PT, however I don't know yet how to use them. In Cubase, the plugz were connected to miditracks so you could tell a module my midinotes what to play. As in PT you can only apply them to an audio- or auxtrack, how do you tell them what to play? I can see no possible way to address midicommands to either the Waldorf Attack or the TBL Bassline (that I definitely wanna get working in PT otherwise I'd have to resort to Cubug once again). Yes I did pay for the plugz, though it was another such a vague second-hand construction that the shop came up with, anyway ....
Before buying my own VST-RTAS Adapter I really wanna know some more about it 'cause if I cannot get the virtual instruments to work with PTLE then it would be far less useful to me.

I'm stuck right now and though I'm digging through the manual, it doesn't seem to be much of a help. The guy who borrowed me his wrapper is out of the country for a couple of weeks so I'm stuck right now. A search resulted in an endless list of topics in some of which the wrapper is only mentioned without any explanation. The version is legal and I wanna know what I'm going to buy.

Can anybody enlighten me on how to set up the wrapper and the very basics one needs to know about it?Thanks in advance,
Walther

Metric Halo ULN8 3D Interface, NI Komplete Control S49 midikeyboard

Macbook Pro M1, 2.5 GHz 8 core CPU, 32 Gb RAM, 1Tb storage, Monterey 12.6.6. PT Ultimate 2023.6, UVI Falcon 3.0 + some soundbanks, Waves Platinum bundle, some free Melda plugz, Metric Halo/Make Believe plugz.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Questions on the VST/RTAS-wrapper - done a search

Bump.

Anybody please?

Macbook Pro M1, 2.5 GHz 8 core CPU, 32 Gb RAM, 1Tb storage, Monterey 12.6.6. PT Ultimate 2023.6, UVI Falcon 3.0 + some soundbanks, Waves Platinum bundle, some free Melda plugz, Metric Halo/Make Believe plugz.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Questions on the VST/RTAS-wrapper - done a sea

The newest version of the wrapper is 1.06, and it's possible that the issues you are exeriencing are due to using an older version.

As for how to use them, you would put them in a stereo aux just like you would an RTAS instrument, then set the output of a MIDI track to the instrument you want to trigger (the instrument in the aux will show up in the output list of the MIDI track).

I'm not familiar with those two vsti's, but my wrapper works great with lots of other vsti's.

There's a list of tested plugs here. There might be updates of the list on Nikki-k's site in the forums section.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 10-02-2004, 12:50 AM

Thanks spkguitar, I'll try setting it up this way.

Only I don't understand why so many wrapped VSTi's don't work in Pro Tools, maybe the version's due to that. I installed all my VSTi's & plugz in the C:\Program Files\NI\VSTi's folder, is that the correct way? Some work, some don't, is there a procedure different than mine that works with all plugz perhaps?
Thanks again,

Walther

Old 10-02-2004, 05:09 AM

Quote:
There might be updates of the list on Nikki-k's site in the forums section.
Tried to access Nikki's site but to no avail, couldn't open the page. As for why I can't seem to use the Waldorf Attack and some other plugz I haven't yet checked the list you gave but the ones I tried all opened up correctly the very first time. It was only that I couldn't open any presets for the Waldorf that made me decide to try a different installation procedure. After which the bloody thing didn't do anything anymore.

Now about the installation procedure of the wrapper and the plugz, this is what I did:
Installed the wrapper first. After that I installed my plugz to C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VST-Plugins. Is that correct? Or should I install them in my Steinberg folder and just copy the dll's? I have a Steinberg folder even though I have no Cubase installed, it's there because of Wavelab.

And there's so many folders that seem suitable to install to, NI\VSTPlugins has a subfolder also called \VST-Plugins, is the location critical?

Also is it strictly necessary to reboot when a plugin-installation tells me so? I just went on installing the plugz and rebooted after the whole bunch was done. There's some free plugz with it also, I'll check whether any of these are notorious for [bleep]-ing with PTLE.

Thanks for the list! Oh and thanks to Nikki for her research on this.

Walther

Old 10-02-2004, 05:42 AM

Oh I made a big mistake. Native Instruments has nothing to do with this whole thing. I just mixed this name up with Fxpansion , this is the name.

There comes an error message on loading the Waldorf attack: Error #7401, "VST-shell panic on displaying this plugin" or something like that.

I installed this one to C:\Program Files\Fxpansion\VST2RTAS\VST-instruments. Still the same sh*t . I had it working one time, 'cept for not being able to load any presets. But I don't believe it's this particular plug not working with the wrapper. Before believing it's the program version of the wrapper I hope somebody can give me some more suggestions on how to use it. Or give me a link to a previous discussion about the wrapper.

Walther

Old 10-02-2004, 07:34 AM

Hi Walther,

I'm running the wrapper, version 1.05 without any problems. This is how it works: after you install the wrapper you install the plugins to FXpansion/Vst2Rtas/VstPlugins. Now you have to convert the plugins by running the wrapper. Programs/FXpansion/VstRtasCfg.exe. Here you have the option to detect and convert the plugins. After you are done you must see the plugins in ProTools as RTAS plugins.

You can try it out with the MDA Piano, it's a free VSTi you can download here

Good luck,

Pieter
Old 10-02-2004, 07:55 AM

Hi Pieter.

Yes I installed the plugins to the folder you mentioned and now the Waldorf drumkit works. See what the rest will do... Thanks. Was fiddling around with install locations already but had no results 'till then. Thanks for the walkthrough!
Walther

Old 05-20-2005, 02:15 PM

I have the same problem, only, it starts just days after I correctly installed and even used those plugins. Suddenly on opening sessions with vst plugs in them, there's that message about the 'panic. After that, protools has to shut down due to a fatal exception. I deleted the vst plugins from the dea/plugins folder and I could open the session again, but now... I still want to use those plugins, cause some of my songs depend on them. The weird this is: I could still open Edirol's Superquartet, but the JP-8000 (wich is way more usefull) had been damaged or something. I dont't think it's right to have to delete and reinstall everytime, so I wonder if there's a reason for this that I don't know about. Can anyone help me? Thanks
Old 05-20-2005, 02:45 PM

Try the support-forum for the wrapper at http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=13 .

Or try to get attention from Angus. He also visits the DUC, so that could be easy.....

(allemaal de 29ste mei 2005 om ongeveer half een 'snachts kijken naar VPRO nachtpodium; heb ik veel voor gedaan, is erg leuk.......)

Bastiaan