Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2011, 08:15 PM

Default Can't load 96 Khz session using Mbox2 for playback??

I was on PT8LE/Mbox2, which was working great (win7/64bit). I have active monitors coming directly out of the Mbox2.

I have upgraded to PT9.02, with all driver updates, as I needed to open 96 Khz PT sessions. Initially, PT9 would not load anything files higher than 48Khz. Then I loaded asio4all, and that allows me to load the 96Khz files -- *IF* I don't have Mbox2 selected for playback. But in this case, I get no sound through the mbox/monitors.

If I select Mbox2 for playback in asio4all, I have to restart PT, and then it will not allow me to open 96Khz files. I get the message, "current playback engine does not support a sample rate of 96 Khz." But, I am able to hear the 44.1 or 48Khz PT sessions.

Just a note, all the other system audio still plays through the Mbox2 (iTunes, system sounds, etc).

My question: Is there a way to open 96 Khz files AND have them play back through the Mbox2??
Old 05-04-2011, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Can't load 96 Khz session using Mbox2 for playback??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumiates View Post
I was on PT8LE/Mbox2, which was working great (win7/64bit). I have active monitors coming directly out of the Mbox2.

I have upgraded to PT9.02, with all driver updates, as I needed to open 96 Khz PT sessions. Initially, PT9 would not load anything files higher than 48Khz. Then I loaded asio4all, and that allows me to load the 96Khz files -- *IF* I don't have Mbox2 selected for playback. But in this case, I get no sound through the mbox/monitors.

If I select Mbox2 for playback in asio4all, I have to restart PT, and then it will not allow me to open 96Khz files. I get the message, "current playback engine does not support a sample rate of 96 Khz." But, I am able to hear the 44.1 or 48Khz PT sessions.

Just a note, all the other system audio still plays through the Mbox2 (iTunes, system sounds, etc).

My question: Is there a way to open 96 Khz files AND have them play back through the Mbox2??
No. its a limitation of the Mbox hardware. Your best solution is to either save the session as a 44-48K session or import the tracks and convert them to 44-48K.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-04-2011, 08:51 PM

Thanks. I was under the impression (perhaps mistaken) that PT9 was not hardware-reliant at all -- and consequently, I could bypass the Khz limitations of the Mbox2, and just use it as an output for my monitors.

But instead, if I understand correctly, with PT9 I can now open and listen to 96 Khz files using my computer's audio card and cheap computer speakers, but not with my monitors routed through the Mbox2?

Which leads to one other question if there is no workaround for this -- what would be a recommended (and hopefully not-too-expensive) way to get good audio out of the computer and into the active monitors?
I realize this is sort of a noob question.....

Upgrading to PT9 is seeming more expensive than its worth. I just needed to be able to work on higher Khz sessions than 48khz - maybe just getting different interface and sticking with PT8LE would have been less expensive.

thanks.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I was under the impression (perhaps mistaken) that PT9 was not hardware-reliant at all -- and consequently, I could bypass the Khz limitations of the Mbox2, and just use it as an output for my monitors.
Its hardware independent not reliant. You still need hardware and its going to subject to the limits of that hardware.

Quote:
But instead, if I understand correctly, with PT9 I can now open and listen to 96 Khz files using my computer's audio card and cheap computer speakers, but not with my monitors routed through the Mbox2? .
Thats true

Quote:
Which leads to one other question if there is no workaround for this -- what would be a recommended (and hopefully not-too-expensive) way to get good audio out of the computer and into the active monitors?
I realize this is sort of a noob question.....
how about a simple adapter cable from your computers headphone out to your monitors?

Quote:
Upgrading to PT9 is seeming more expensive than its worth. I just needed to be able to work on higher Khz sessions than 48khz - maybe just getting different interface and sticking with PT8LE would have been less expensive.

thanks.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-05-2011, 11:39 PM

Thanks for the help. I was guessing the Mbox would provide better quality audio than the motherboard's built-in soundcard (Asus P6t SE). I'm doing classical music editing, primarily.

Should I expect much change in audio quality, using an 1/8" male to dual 1/4" female Y-adapter into the monitors, instead of of the Mbox?
Old 05-06-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the help. I was guessing the Mbox would provide better quality audio than the motherboard's built-in soundcard (Asus P6t SE). I'm doing classical music editing, primarily.

Should I expect much change in audio quality, using an 1/8" male to dual 1/4" female Y-adapter into the monitors, instead of of the Mbox?
That I cannot tell you. I would be interested to know what you think. Motherboard audio has come a long way but still seems prone to picking up stray electronic noise from the board itself. Most folk can't discern 44-48-88-96k in blind listening tests. Its far more likely that you would hear a difference between the MBox and the Motherboards Audio based on conversion and the analog section. One thing that would probably sound great would be connecting your speaker optically to the motherboard if thats an option for you.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page