Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2010, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Dear Avid

My two cents... I have used Cubase for over a decade and it's pretty much had ADC for almost that whole time. It worked great! Never had any issues with it..no matter what plug ins I used(Direct X, VST or what not). Some might argue..you get what you pay for..but most basic DAW's have this feature.

Cubase does a fantastic job of summing up and compensating for latency..but at the end of the day I moved to Pro Tools for one huge reason..I don't like the way Steinberg treats it's customers. I rather have no ADC and have a product from a company that has bent over backwards for me at times...then have ADC and have a 600.00 piece of beta software that never gets fixed and a company whom time after time has blown off it's customers and asked for more and more money.

So, I am for Avid and I am sure..that we will see ADC sometime soon..and I am sure it will work great when it finally is implemented.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numi View Post
a piece of beta software that never gets fixed and a company whom time after time has blown off it's customers and asked for more and more money.
thats funny, I thought you must have meant pro tools.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
Gary Greenfield, CEO of AVID

[ It was a leader in video production, it is a leader in audio production, it has hardware technologies that do really well (saleswise)... Yet they are all disjointed. Nobody talks to each other, and interoperability is very minimal.
Leader in video production? Not really... Final Cut Pro... Sony Vegas.. every video editor I know gets ill when you mention Avid....
Old 04-27-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothlight View Post
thats funny, I thought you must have meant pro tools.

I thought someone might turn that around.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:22 PM

Also they have terrible phone service. They don't even have a 1-800 number! And I swear it's the same 1 grumpy guy who helps me every time I called. I just call Black Lion now for support, they know way more and treat their customers awesome!
Old 04-27-2010, 02:36 PM

I'm getting away from ProTools because there is no ADC and no off-line bounce option. Sorry Avid, but this is pretty much goodbye.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:08 AM

has anyone tried this plugin?...

http://www.mellowmuse.com/ATA.html

also, while we're making LE requests... can we please have a timecode timeline in LE? was collaborating on a score with a logic-based composer and he sent me all of his cues marked with timecode. i was working from home on my LE rig and had to admit i had no timecode. awwwwkward.

for the record... my studio (which has been PT based for over a decade) recently switched to logic for composing. we still have PT HD rigs for tracking and mixing, but i'm the last composer who is still composing in pro tools.

i love PT and i am not a fan of working in logic at all because i do a lot of intensive audio editing and logic is terrible for that. however, if logic improves their editing and PT doesn't improve the areas it's behind in... i will follow the dozen other composers at my company who have made the switch.

please avid... don't make me do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darney View Post
Leader in video production? Not really... Final Cut Pro... Sony Vegas.. every video editor I know gets ill when you mention Avid....
he said was a leader in production. AVID was the industry leader before FCP.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:20 AM

There are lots of mellowmuse ATA threads on the DUC. Most posters seem to regard it as somewhat helpful. Something that kind of works most of the time. I've seen some tentative recommendations of it, but not many ringing endorsements. Some people find it indispensable, a necessary evil. Others have given up on it.

Timecode? Without upgrading to the CPTK or whichever add-on it is? While HD is still being sold? Don't hold your breath. Those things are expensive to put in there, ya know. I don't know how other DAWs do it for so cheap.

Logic has had a long time to improve their audio editing. It's been frustratingly rudimentary since before Apple bought them. It doesn't appear that they're really interested in making Logic a decent editor. So I wouldn't hold my breath on that score, either.

You know, Min/Sec locations are not difficult to calculate from timecode locations. A simple spreadsheet can do it automatically. A little awkward as a workaround, but it's not like you have to be at a total loss if someone sends you an EDL in SMPTE.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 04-28-2010, 11:19 AM

Cool Re: Dear Avid

Logic 9 audio editing is pretty smokin'. A couple goofy things still regarding fades on multiple tracks and moving multiple tracks in the Arrange window.

It is what it is...

ScrewMakerMusic
Old 04-28-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
I use ATA from Melomuse, which works good, but you first have to solve a quadratic equation before you can get it to work properly.
There's no math involved in using ATA, that's the whole point.

You do however need to understand how to route your ATA'd tracks in PT, but only in the exact same fashion as using the basic Digi Time Adjuster to do latency compensation.

Yes - Mellowmuse didn't invent this routing, its the same approach you need to take in any DAW that doesn't have ADC - no calculus required

Gary Newby
Mellowmuse Software