Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2011, 10:39 AM

Default Re: PT 10 Amnesty (I got screw*d)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crobbins View Post
Apple did 3 months on their last os update because I was able to take advantage of this when I bought my new mac book pro.
When Pro Tools 8 was released, there was a two-and-a-half month amnesty period.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:23 PM

Same story here- I'm excited about PT10 and the promise of the new hardware and software alike- but I have to say I'm feeling pretty sick-

we bought a Pro Tools HD Native system less than 9 months ago to use with the Venue live desk (>$10,000 for the system and now another $1,000 to keep it current)

I upgraded my LE system to PT9 to use with an MBox Pro at the same time ($330 less than 9 months ago, and now another $299 if I want the latest version)

And we just finished upgrading the main studio- bought a new 12 core mac, and a Magma so we could upgrade the software to 9 and keep using 6 of the HD cards we paid so much money for a few years ago. So in addition to an outlay of over $11,500, the software upgrade to 9 was registered 27th Sept, we've had less than 2 weeks use out of the new set up, it would be another $1000 already to have the current software, and double whammy, Avid just announced they'll be dropping support for the hardware which this investment is based around. Not funny at all.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeydan View Post
Same story here- I'm excited about PT10 and the promise of the new hardware and software alike- but I have to say I'm feeling pretty sick-

we bought a Pro Tools HD Native system less than 9 months ago to use with the Venue live desk (>$10,000 for the system and now another $1,000 to keep it current)

I upgraded my LE system to PT9 to use with an MBox Pro at the same time ($330 less than 9 months ago, and now another $299 if I want the latest version)

And we just finished upgrading the main studio- bought a new 12 core mac, and a Magma so we could upgrade the software to 9 and keep using 6 of the HD cards we paid so much money for a few years ago. So in addition to an outlay of over $11,500, the software upgrade to 9 was registered 27th Sept, we've had less than 2 weeks use out of the new set up, it would be another $1000 already to have the current software, and double whammy, Avid just announced they'll be dropping support for the hardware which this investment is based around. Not funny at all.
My question is do you absolutely need to upgrade right away? Maybe you can do a few contracts with the pt 9 and then upgrade?

Wave-T.com
Old 10-23-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
My question is do you absolutely need to upgrade right away? Maybe you can do a few contracts with the pt 9 and then upgrade?
You're missing the point dumb dumb....
Old 10-23-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkman66 View Post
No I'm not missing it.

The whole point is that this update was not targeted to enthusiasts, or music composer.

The whole point is that Avid doesn't hold a colt on your head forcing you to upgrade now.

The whole point is unless it's a question of pride over your wallet, you shouldn't upgrade if you do not absolutely need the new features and that your own rig is working fine for your needs.

The whole point is to be intelligent. If you don't need to spend, don't spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkman66 View Post
Dumb dumb... I think some people complaining here should really start to do a conscience check and actually wise up on why do they need the upgrade. Most of them I'm sure, would notice that it's just a question of pride of owning the new "toy", and they don't actually need it.

Is the price a bit high, yeah. Does it mean that you have to act stupid and pay even a dime if you don't need the new upgrade? Just because it's cool, or just because you want to stay current even if you don't need to. just because you can boast you have the newest version?

Wave-T.com
Old 10-23-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
No of course I don't need to right away, but I will need to at some stage with all of our rigs. How much longer before the new version of the Venue software requires PT10? And when my clients start to migrate to 10 on their own systems, I'll have to too.

This is annoying in the extreme- having been tied for the last two years to an older version of PT and an older Mac OS because Avid dropped support for the expansion H/D, having done the research on what was the best upgrade path, and got to a stage with ongoing projects where there was a window to do the upgrade to 9 and get a new chassis, spend the days of my life (and more $$$) upgrading and installing all the plug ins, and then less than a month later be given notice that they're dropping support for the more than $30,000 worth of HD core and accel cards that we've built the studio around.

"Oh, and by the way, you registered your upgrade 3 days too early to qualify for a free upgrade to 10!"
Old 10-23-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
No of course I don't need to right away, but I will need to at some stage with all of our rigs. How much longer before the new version of the Venue software requires PT10? And when my clients start to migrate to 10 on their own systems, I'll have to too.
No you wont that's the good thing.

PT 10 allows backward compatibility in the way that you can ask your client to save their sessions under pt 9 file system. And you will be able to open them in your pt 9 format. Fade files will be rendered at the opening of the sessions etc. The only moment where you might actually be left with no other choice is when tdm and rtas are completely phased out (pt 11) and that you clients arrives with aax plugin format only, with no tdm or rtas equivalence.

Quote:
"Oh, and by the way, you registered your upgrade 3 days too early to qualify for a free upgrade to 10!"
I don't disagree that this stings, really. But they had to make a decision somewhere. Any decision would have been met with people being unhappy because they would have been left outside of the allotted time. The only way would have been to make it a free upgrade from pt 9 to pt 10, but then all the pt 8 guys would still complain. It's an unending circle waiting for them anyways in this regards, no matter what time they would grace.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-23-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Just because it's cool, or just because you want to stay current even if you don't need to. just because you can boast you have the newest version?
I have no doubt its been mentioned earlier in this thread (I haven't had the time to read it all) there is a question of compatibility with previous versions of Pro Tools (which looks like is not entirely seamless when going from a session in 10 to a rig with PT9) and also perception from the client's point of view- If they have material they have worked on in 10 and bring it to a studio that has 9 they're certainly going to miss the features of newer version (arguably not the same case with 9 vs 8)

We also have the question of whether plug in settings will migrate backwards from AXX to TDM versions.

I'm not complaining about these issues in themselves as I understand its inevitable with the new features, plug in format and hardware that this will happen- I'm just saying that my need to stay compatible with my clients set-ups makes it inevitable that I'll have to upgrade sooner rather than later.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I have no doubt its been mentioned earlier in this thread (I haven't had the time to read it all) there is a question of compatibility with previous versions of Pro Tools (which looks like is not entirely seamless when going from a session in 10 to a rig with PT9) and also perception from the client's point of view- If they have material they have worked on in 10 and bring it to a studio that has 9 they're certainly going to miss the features of newer version (arguably not the same case with 9 vs 8)
Some other people might be able to chime in on this, but this is what I understand. Saving your session under a pt 7-9 session files will make it backward compatible. The fades file will be created as the session is rendered while opening, the automation will also be ported backwards (at least for the automation that already exists in pt 9) Clip gain, is not a feature that is present in pt 9 so that's a mystery for me. It might be that there will be a rendering of the gain done automatically that will translate the clip gain that was done in a pt 10 session when you open it in a pt 9 session. I'm sure avid could come up with a chart that would explain the backward compatibility of the new features. That would be very useful.

Quote:
We also have the question of whether plug in settings will migrate backwards from AXX to TDM versions.
From what I understand, as long as you have a tdm or rtas version of the plugin, the settings will be ported automatically.

Quote:
I'm not complaining about these issues in themselves as I understand its inevitable with the new features, plug in format and hardware that this will happen- I'm just saying that my need to stay compatible with my clients set-ups makes it inevitable that I'll have to upgrade sooner rather than later.
Yes and no. It's always hard to predict such things, I'd wait a bit and try to get in touch with digitechsup he might be able to tell you more about how the new features translate backwards and that might in fact give you a better view if you can wait til pt 11. There's no doubt that when pt 11 comes out, facilities like yours will have to upgrade if you wish to keep in line with your client base. But in your case you have a very valid reason to upgrade as you have the clients to support that upgrade.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-23-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
No I'm not missing it.

The whole point is that this update was not targeted to enthusiasts, or music composer.

The whole point is that Avid doesn't hold a colt on your head forcing you to upgrade now.

The whole point is unless it's a question of pride over your wallet, you shouldn't upgrade if you do not absolutely need the new features and that your own rig is working fine for your needs.

The whole point is to be intelligent. If you don't need to spend, don't spend.

Dumb dumb... I think some people complaining here should really start to do a conscience check and actually wise up on why do they need the upgrade. Most of them I'm sure, would notice that it's just a question of pride of owning the new "toy", and they don't actually need it.

Is the price a bit high, yeah. Does it mean that you have to act stupid and pay even a dime if you don't need the new upgrade? Just because it's cool, or just because you want to stay current even if you don't need to. just because you can boast you have the newest version?
you missed it................................again.

The point of this thread is amnesty. It's about an amnesty period and paying 300 dollars to find a month later you're not current anymore.. it's about respecting your customer enough to understand that in order to upgrade at a later date it's going to cost them twice as much because they'll be going from 9 to 11. It's about Avid providing their customers a way to keep current without raping them. I've spent thousands upon thousands of dollars with Avid. How bout a little respect. I and many many others feel like we're being taken advantage of for being a loyal pro tools user.