Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2008, 01:33 PM

Default Re: NEW DIGI PCIE Expansion Chasis

The new chassis suggests to me that Digi's got some new HD cards coming soon.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ M. View Post
I'm interested in how you are running PCIx cards with the PCIe Mac Pro since I am running a G4 1.25 / HD2 (non accel) and I'm looking to upgrade to a MacPro but do not want to upgrade the PCI cards at the moment for cost reasons. What expansion chassis, OS, PT version and etc? Any issues with this? What is the most cost-effective way of doing this?
Yeah, the PE6R4. I used to have a MDD 1.42, but it died. I've been really happy with the magma chassis. It's OSX 10.5.4 with 7.4.2. The Chassis is loud, but I already had an iso-box for the wind tunnel mac. Now I'm just waiting for the older accel prices to go down so I can beef up the system.
It's hard to say whether it's the most cost effective way, as the chassis was $2k, and the mac, and memory, and new drives were pretty expensive. I just chose it over getting new cards because it is a little cheaper, and I like the ability to expand the system more.
Also, when Snow Leopard, and PT8 come around I hope this will all work out. This machine is much faster than the software is allowing it to be, I believe. It loads PT a little faster, and sessions load a little faster, but other than that (and the niceties of Leopard) there's not much difference in day to day PT tasks. I do suggest getting a 10k rpm drive, I think that would boost system performance.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambison View Post
The new chassis suggests to me that Digi's got some new HD cards coming soon.
Really, tells me they don't. Can you imagine if they came out with new cards where you'd need more than 3 to do the most massive project ever? They could easily come out with a new card that would be the equivilant of 10 Accel cards.

This clearly says the existing systems are going to be around for a long time.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 09-11-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Really, tells me they don't. Can you imagine if they came out with new cards where you'd need more than 3 to do the most massive project ever? They could easily come out with a new card that would be the equivilant of 10 Accel cards.

This clearly says the existing systems are going to be around for a long time.
I just got to say here, "Yep" or replaced with native systems.