Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2009, 12:06 PM

Default Sold MY HD2 Today - Got out before loosing my shorts

Ok, I'm a big Protools fanboy, and yes an HD fan boy. But I know something is coming, real soon, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so. I'm usually pretty good with these things. I sold my HD2 PCIe for exactly what I paid for it, didn't loose a penny. That money is sitting off to the side. I've still got a 003 Console and Mbox2 Pro. I'm going to live with that for a while, use my Aurora 16 with my 003 for now.

I expect in early 2010, something new will come, for the better, who knows. But what I do know, is the value of my old HD2 PCIe will drop like a fly, I'd be lucky to get 25% of it's value today. So, what am I going to do, I'm gonna buy another HD2, in the middle of next year, pay 25% or so of what I have set aside, or who knows, maybe go with the new system, although I doubt that.

This is not a good idea for most, as you rely on your system to make you money, not me. Mine is for my home studio, when I'm not recording myself, I'm doing it for free. Do a lot of work with Praise Bands, some Christian artist that want to record themselves. Some have potential, others are like me, love to listen to things they've (I've) done.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Sold MY HD2 Today - Got out before loosing my shorts

I bought a coffee and bagel this morning after running at the gym.

I too think/know something is coming early next year as well. How can it not? Really? Unless they are packing up as a company, of course something new is coming. They are a hardware company, they need new stuff to spur hardware sales.

Happy you found what worked for you. My PCI-x HD3 rig from 2003 continues to pay for itself about every 3-4 weeks, chugging along. Sure it annoys me now and then, but I get my work done and I get paid and that's all that matters.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Mine is for my home studio, when I'm not recording myself, I'm doing it for free.
There's your mistake :)

I also support lots of finnish christian artists and praise bands (I usually do about one album and a dozen TV shows during a year) but I've also always asked for compensation! Eventually, if the money stops the service stops too. Unless Apple+Digidesign gives you stuff for free you just cannot give your service for free either. And people respect that.

You don't need to charge top dollar, but you need to ask for something. Just to keep things going, you know...
Old 11-28-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
I sold my HD2 PCIe for exactly what I paid for it, didn't loose a penny.
Do a lot of work with Praise Bands, some Christian artist that want to record themselves.
Hope the guy u sold it to doesn't join the DUC and realize that you...... whatever.... Who knows, maybe you got a great deal on it going in.
That's the kind of business acumen that keeps digi in business.(buy, sell, buy , sell) Dmazurek's is the kind that keeps himself in business, proving that you cannot think like a hobbiest and thrive. ff
Old 11-28-2009, 05:25 PM

Barry.. You don't have an email link in your profile. Would you mind dropping me a note? (Don't worry, I'm in Oz so I'm not going to be hitting you up for anything )

For what you are doing, Blessings! There are folks out there that need a voice and this way is the only way they are going to get it..

Just my opinion..

Peace!
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 11-29-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
Barry.. You don't have an email link in your profile. Would you mind dropping me a note? (Don't worry, I'm in Oz so I'm not going to be hitting you up for anything )

For what you are doing, Blessings! There are folks out there that need a voice and this way is the only way they are going to get it..

Just my opinion..

Peace!
I need a Ferrari, too.....now if I could just find a dealer to give me one. But, then I guess they would eventually be out of business.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:41 AM

FWIW a used Intel Mac is going to make a much bigger improvement than any new PT version will. Same for a new PeeCee which can still use the old cards.

As for "support," digi is still releasing CS software fixes for legacy stuff even though new PT versions don't "support" them.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyelvis View Post
I don't post much, but I did want to add my experience to this thread...
I owned an HD3 setup, and only used it for my own music making. But when Digi announced no more support for the PPC's, that really pissed me off. Long story short, I sold the PT gear off and went looking elsewhere... I tried a few other options since then. I tried Digital performer for a awhile, but it was just lacking for me and the new learning curve sucked.
I then sold my 2.7 PPC and bought a new PC and tried Sonar 8.5 (which I have dabbled with since the Sonar series originally came out), but the monitoring etc. was more of a pain in the ass than I wanted to mess with. I then started easing my way back to Digi and bought a 003 console. It just wasn't cutting it. Holy crap the preamps SUCK on those things!! I ended up buying a Liquid Channel and plugging it into the 003's SPDIF, just to get around that problem. I ended up spending more for the LC, than I did the 003! Plus, I found myself playing computer tech guy more than recording any new music.
The bottom line? Nothing seems to do it all like I need, better than that HD rig.
The other options (without spending tons of money) really do suck!
I made a little money off the deal when I had originally sold the Digi stuff, so I went back to eBay looking for HD gear to re-assemble what I had before. Now, as a sign of the times, I got into the gear (PCIx cards) for way less than I had into it all the first time around (including buying another 2.7 PPC), so I didn't get hurt during all of this (other than me, wasting my time). But the lesson learned was I'm just going to stay with what works for me now.
Sure, it still pisses me off that Digi has dropped PT8 support for the PPC, (the right thing should have been waiting to do that when they eventually launch PT 9) but even in PT8's current state, I can live with it.
So for now, I consider that whole experience a lesson well learned....
-Chris
My issues had nothing to do with going with another DAW, I have used them all. I love Protools. I would say your issues with your 003 was that you were on a PC and not a Mac. I have a 003 and have "Never" had an issue on my Mac with it. I do a lot of remote recording with it.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
I bought a coffee and bagel this morning after running at the gym.
And I switched my toothpaste brand today.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
And I switched my toothpaste brand today.
What'd 'ya go to, I've been thinking of leaving Crest behind, but we've been together for a very long time. So hard to walk away when we've go so much invested in each other.