How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2022, 03:28 AM

Default Cheap solution thought to share

Good day,

I had been waiting for the new iPad to come out so that I could expand my mobile system from my old iPhone 10 to a new ipad. ( I travel quite a bit due to my job, so portability is important to me.)

When I saw the new iPad offerings, I didn't jump.

Instead I purchased an old mac book 2012, upgraded the ram to 16 gigs tossed in a 1 tb ssd (got rid of the optical drive in order to make physical space for this second ssd), it had already been upgraded to Catalina which met the operating system requirements for the install of PT 2021.6 ( of which I already had a perpetual licence for)

Well, it all works!

Amazed that a 10 year old mac book pro mid 2012 is running a fairly recent version of PT.

I certainly see this as an attractive alternative to the iPad that I had been waiting to head towards (as running pro tools is simply way way cooler than any of the daw apps that I have encountered by way of my iphone)

Simply thought to share what I consider to be an interesting find. When I was putting it all together, I was laughing thinking that this is never going to work....Ha ha, I was wrong, but very pleased with the outcome.

My next challenge....I just bought an mbox 3 pro for 100 bucks (waiting on the delivery of such with grand expectation)....now, can I get that working with my iPhone 10?

Yup, I got way too much time in my hands...but really, older gear still provides the potential of function at pennies on the dollar...my suggestion is to explore what's out there if you need a system, or simply want to have a tad but of inexpensive fun during the technical side of the creative process.

Cheers
S
Old 10-28-2022, 05:01 AM

Default Re: Cheap solution thought to share

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmusic View Post
My next challenge....I just bought an mbox 3 pro for 100 bucks (waiting on the delivery of such with grand expectation)....now, can I get that working with my iPhone 10?
No. You can not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2022, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmusic View Post
from my old iPhone 10 to a new ipad
You do realise PT is not working on iOS/ipadOS, don't you? It is at least currently macOS only (and that poor little brother of course).
Old 10-28-2022, 07:19 AM

On a more positive note; good day Filmusic, and I'm glad you found a good solution for your situation.

In fact, your post inspired me to look at what might be available around these parts in 2nd hand portable mac form. And I found a deal. I have just messaged a seller that I'm giving him the $250 he's asking for a early 2013 MBP 15", 2,7gHz i7, 16GB, 256GB. Too good to not buy.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-28-2022, 07:23 AM

Good to buy for what use?

I have a 2015 MPB that’s still running great. The only hardware issue is the screen’s anti-glare coating has started to come off leaving what looks like large blotches on the display. You really only notice it when it’s black.

I would ask the seller to send you decent photos of the screen. This is a common issue with older MB and MBP.
Old 10-28-2022, 07:27 AM

What's with the effing negativity!!!?
Old 10-28-2022, 07:40 AM

Dude, chill out. I was asking you what are you’re using it for? There’s no negativity there. I was also sharing about an issue with older MBP but also letting you know it runs great. It’s called reassurance. Geeez! Feeling insecure about your purchase much?
Old 10-28-2022, 07:43 AM

I think it was just a misunderstanding of perceived value. In case a 2013 MBP costs 250 my only question would be when can you send it. Pixel-free screennis even more valuable than coating-perfect screen, but all in all that screen replacement would cost way beyond 250 so oif it is in working condition maybe it is enough.
Old 10-28-2022, 01:16 PM

Hi all,

I don't claim to realize much, just thought to toss an observation that a few dollars on old gear may just offer some excitement and perhaps launch a few unintended rounds of inspiration for us all!

Ha ha, as the as the mbox pro 3 purchase comes with a second gen ilokwith PT9... I figure it will function on one of my several workstations...I am simply curious if I can get it to work with anything
as an interface through an iPhone 10....Ha ha, oh I may fail, but I will try!

About 10 years back, I actually got a few plugins from an le creative suite to work on a tdm system (predecessor of the HD system) just by trying

Ha ha, and yes, I make errors in assumptions about what is possible every day

However in doing so, I almost always lead myself down a rabbit hole to discover what is within the art of the possible....a habit I enjoy is the urge to do adventure into the exploration of old inexpensive gear

I see old gear a lego pieces that may fit together...if you try

But please don't forget to have fun!I

And Ben, great to hear of your intentions to follow a wave of tech backwards intime...congrats on your decision to do so, please report your fun and games, as they inevitably will incur!

Cheers
Stephen
Old 10-28-2022, 02:02 PM

So many ha-ha, but the ha-ha I do not like (and do not take sides) is...

Currently you need to subscribe to so much you really do not need.

Please do not bash the messenger.