Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2019, 06:11 AM

Default Re: Open Mix & Edit as Tabs in single window (Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Having everything on its own window is the Mac way of doing things. The original way. Sorry if I sound rude, but maybe time to get used to it?
Ha I'm one of those people that prefers mix and edit on one window and plug-ins/etc on the other. It almost certainly infuriates other producers/engineers/musicians when I use their rigs and completely rearrange their windows.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Ha I'm one of those people that prefers mix and edit on one window and plug-ins/etc on the other. It almost certainly infuriates other producers/engineers/musicians when I use their rigs and completely rearrange their windows.
Thank God for Window Configurations?
Old 11-22-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Thank God for Window Configurations?
They're only session dependent aren't they? Or can you set them up globally?
Old 11-22-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
They're only session dependent aren't they? Or can you set them up globally?
Yes they are (session level) but you can save the old config and then start creating your own. Later, recall the original config
Old 11-22-2019, 02:17 PM

Jack:

I was using a Late 2014 iMac, Sierra 10.12.6, PT 2019.10. I haven't tried this on the laptop yet, but if what you're saying is true, bad news. It does, however, ,work nicely an reliably on the iMac, with the proviso that you have have Pro Tools in complete Full Screen mode 'before' entering CMD =, otherwise it will simply open another window.

I'll try it on the MacBook Pro tonight – I have 10.13.6 and 10.14 on separate partition, so I'll try both. I'll be gutted if it doesn't work on the laptop – that's the most useful place to have it!

Kedavis:

My pleasure – Glad I could help! And for you it does work on Mojave? Great news.

It would appear that this is a an 'addition', deliberate or otherwise, to 2019.10.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooxii View Post
Jack:

I was using a Late 2014 iMac, Sierra 10.12.6, PT 2019.10. I haven't tried this on the laptop yet, but if what you're saying is true, bad news. It does, however, ,work nicely an reliably on the iMac, with the proviso that you have have Pro Tools in complete Full Screen mode 'before' entering CMD =, otherwise it will simply open another window.

I'll try it on the MacBook Pro tonight – I have 10.13.6 and 10.14 on separate partition, so I'll try both. I'll be gutted if it doesn't work on the laptop – that's the most useful place to have it!

Kedavis:

My pleasure – Glad I could help! And for you it does work on Mojave? Great news.

It would appear that this is a an 'addition', deliberate or otherwise, to 2019.10.
I've tried every possible combination of things and on the three OSX versions I mentioned in PT 2019.6 it doesn't work. Also doesn't work in PT 2019.10 either. Period. No tabs. I think it's still a dumb thing to pursue when you have Mission Control in OSX to do what you want. And I don't see what you have against using cmd = to switch between windows when full screen. That way you don't need a mouse or need to use the touch pad.

And even if you can get it to work in OSX what about Windoze users?

QAPLA!
Old 11-22-2019, 06:41 PM

As the philosopher Karl Popper would say: 'just because you don't see a black swan, doesn't mean they don't exist – or that you're dumb'.
Works for me, worked for Kedavis.
As regards Mission Control, when you get it to make two or three tabs in one window, send me the recipe and I'll send you a cheque.

"And I don't see what you have against using cmd = to switch between windows when full screen"

Nothing! I use it constantly (naturally). It's just nice to have a 3rd tab if I so wish.
The whole point of the post is that one can have multiple tabs (at least on macOS) if one wishes.
Unless I'm to believe Apple and Avid have both conspired to give me a special verion of PT and macOS.

midnightrambler:
Agreed – I detest having to move plug-ins around the edit window just to see what the hell I'm doing.
Especially since many manufacturers insist on designing GUIs that obiterate 30 percent of the screen per instance.
That's my pet gripe abuot LPX and one of the things I like about PT.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooxii View Post
As the philosopher Karl Popper would say: 'just because you don't see a black swan, doesn't mean they don't exist – or that you're dumb'.
Works for me, worked for Kedavis.
As regards Mission Control, when you get it to make two or three tabs in one window, send me the recipe and I'll send you a cheque.

"And I don't see what you have against using cmd = to switch between windows when full screen"

Nothing! I use it constantly (naturally). It's just nice to have a 3rd tab if I so wish.
The whole point of the post is that one can have multiple tabs (at least on macOS) if one wishes.
Unless I'm to believe Apple and Avid have both conspired to give me a special verion of PT and macOS.

midnightrambler:
Agreed – I detest having to move plug-ins around the edit window just to see what the hell I'm doing.
Especially since many manufacturers insist on designing GUIs that obiterate 30 percent of the screen per instance.
That's my pet gripe about LPX and one of the things I like about PT.
You still don't get it - I can't reproduce what you get no matter what I try and kedavis stumbled on it by accident and if I understand it right he can't reproduce it either. Near as I can figure out in this thread neither has anyone else been able to do it. Why you don't do it the normal Apple Way is beyond me.

If I can't see it it doesn't exist - at least not with your recipe.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 11-23-2019 at 04:13 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:56 AM

Excuse my English. It’s not my main language

1 be sure you have both the edit and mix window open
2 maximise the edit window (green button top left, that will hide the menu bar)
3 cmd + = to switch to the mix window (the mix window shows the menu bar because has not been hide)
4 close the mix window (red button button top left)
5 cmd + = to back to edit window
6 cmd + = (2 times)

If you want to back to normal window

7 Opt + click on green button
8 Close the window (red button)
9 Cmd + = to open window

OSX 10.14.6
PT 2019.10
Old 11-23-2019, 07:43 AM

Thank you Dirtytricks! Slightly different approach, but same result.

Jack, it looks like you're the one that still doesn't get it, but I tire of the confrontational approach (seems to be the modus operandi in this forum). The reasons have been explained, as has the means to acheive it. You don't need it? Great! Walk away. If you can't replicate it, I don't know why. If it upsets you how I work, c'est la vie. You do it your way, I'll do it mine.

Peace.