Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2022, 02:50 PM

Default can you help with this protools decision?

Hi everyone, I'm at this crossroads and perhaps you can help.

Current system- Intel Mac 1,1 running 10.4, PT 7.3 HD2 This is my tracking system and solid as a rock, but enough is enough (I mix itb w PT Ultimate) This is a legit system with iLok, nothing cracked.

Years ago I purchased a 10/11/12 upgrade (perpetual license, never opened, good activation card and new iLok) but because of work/family health issues/time was never able to upgrade. Pressure to upgrade reduced by mixing on laptop itb, so kept it as a tracking system.

A month or so ago I purchased an HD Native card and an adaptor cable to get to my 192's and run as Legacy devices on the back of the Native card.

I just picked up a newer Intel Mac 5,1 but need to get a hard drive in it and an OS going.

Here is the question- what is the best way to proceed? If I go full Native on the new Intel Mac, I'll be tied to a subscription license (I think), so I can do that but not terribly in favor of a subscription.

Or, upgrade the 7.3 system somehow to 12, but I don't have the right card for that, unless the Native card will work. But doing so will keep my perpetual license (I think).

Paralysis by analysis and I'm stuck, could use an outside opinion.

Thank you, so very sorry for the long post.
Old 10-27-2022, 03:10 PM

Default Re: can you help with this protools decision?

I think you can run PT 10 HD on the machine and components that you mentioned. I'm not sure what OS is best. You say you bought a 10/11/12 upgrade license, so if you can get the asset onto an iLok, you're good.

The HD-Native card works fine with anything from PT 8 onwards (with a qualified interface). I'm still using mine today, on PT Ultimate 2022.10.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro

Last edited by massivekerry; 10-27-2022 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-27-2022, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
I think you can run PT 10 HD on the machine and components that you mentioned. I'm not sure what OS is best. You say you bought a 10/11/12 upgrade license, so if you can get the asset onto an iLok, you're good.

I don't think that you can run anything newer than PT 10HD if your interface is a 192. I may be wrong about this, but I remember having to trade-up my 192 for a HD i/o because I really wanted to take advantage of the new 64-bit architecture in PT 11, and there was some problem with what I was using. It was almost 10 years ago, so I'm not totally clear on it. The HD-Native card works fine with anything from PT 8 onwards (with a qualified interface). I'm still using mine today, on PT Ultimate 2022.10.
Not really sure how to advise the OP, but the 192 will still work with the newest Pro Tools, just to be clear.
Old 10-27-2022, 04:18 PM

Random thoughts and opinions:
1-Check to see what the newest version of OSX you can run on the 5,1 and install that on a fresh drive(preferably an SSD)
2-Check the compatibility chart to see which version(s) of HD/Ultimate software you can run with the OS you installed and look for a second hand license for that(I suspect a subscription will only give you the very latest, which probably isn't compatible with the OS version).
3-install the HDN card, a second hard drive for recording, connect the 192's and its off to the races

Things to consider:
HDN needs at least HD or Ultimate and IIRC, PT 8.5 is the earliest(but I would push for the latest combination to get the best feature set). As said, the 192's still work, as does the HDN card(I am running one here with an HDN card, 2022.9 Ultimate on a Windows 10 machine). Since someone is going to question my comment about a second drive with an SSD installed, sure you CAN record to the SSD, but(my opinion) since you have room for more drives, use more drives(happy to spell out my reasons if you need any)

BTW, what to do with the old tower? Grab my Mbox 2 Pro and install LE 7.3-8 and sell(or donate) it as a turn-key rig for someone just getting started

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-27-2022, 04:30 PM

dosdude can get you all the way up to Catalina on a 5,1
http://dosdude1.com/software.html

OpenCore can get you even further, but is a little more complex.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...c-pro.2207814/
Old 10-27-2022, 06:01 PM

Really the main decision I see is which OS X to install. You use your activation to get PT 12. I assume it will get you the last version of 12 released. So look at the compatibility doc to see which OS's are supported. I'm guessing Sierra, maybe High Sierra.

HD Native card and 192 will work.

You need to go through your plugins and check what you'll lose in the transition. Otherwise you should be good to go. I would not give up the perpetual license.
Old 10-27-2022, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Eye Studios View Post
Not really sure how to advise the OP, but the 192 will still work with the newest Pro Tools, just to be clear.
That's good to hear. It might have been the Accel card that I had to ditch for 64-bit. Maybe I got hoodwinked into replacing the 192 at the time as well. *sigh*

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 10-28-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengineer View Post
snip . . . I just picked up a newer Intel Mac 5,1 but need to get a hard drive in it and an OS going.
If you get an SSD make sure to not buy the newer Samsung 870 SSDs that use SATAIII. They will not warm boot. Get the 850EVO if you can - they work perfectly, cold or warm boot. Avoid QVO drives completely as they have endless mount problems.
Crucial can be quite good, and their tech support can probably advise you exactly which model to buy if you tell them what you want to do, as even some of their newer SSD apparently suffer from the same problem of reboots.(due to newer firmware)

I've even got Thunderbolt 3 running on my OpenCore rig at 40Gbps using a pre-flashed macOS Titan Ridge PCIe card.
Alternatively, a DIY flashing tutorial is here:
You can get a lot out of these highly-configurable machines still.

Last edited by Tweakhead; 10-28-2022 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-28-2022, 07:36 PM

Bengineer:
No one has mentioned it so far, so I will -

Run whatever SSDs you acquire for the 5,1 on a PCI card, not in the existing sleds in the machine. You'd have to get 3.5" to 2.5" drive adapters to do that; the money is better spent on PCI adapter cards. I use OWC cards, but there are a few from which to choose.
Old 10-28-2022, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
Bengineer:
No one has mentioned it so far, so I will -

Run whatever SSDs you acquire for the 5,1 on a PCI card, not in the existing sleds in the machine. You'd have to get 3.5" to 2.5" drive adapters to do that; the money is better spent on PCI adapter cards. I use OWC cards, but there are a few from which to choose.
But, PCI slots can be limited if you want to put in a USB 3 card, or any other PCI card you might have.

for 15 bucks, you can get a sled that is 2.5"
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MMP35T25/
Almost every plugin